It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time to disguise your voice online?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Adobe has demonstrated tech that lets you edit recorded speech so that you can alter what that person said or create an entirely new sentence from their voice. It seems inevitable that it will eventually be referred to as "photoshop but for audio."

The tech, dubbed VoCo (voice conversion), presents the user with a text box. Initially the text box shows the spoken content of the audio clip. You can then move the words around, delete fragments, or type in entirely new words. When you type in a new word, there's a small pause while the word is constructed—then you can press play and listen to the new clip.

LINK

I've been thinking about making voice recordings for YouTube videos for a long time. The thing that's stopped me is not wanting to be associated directly with some of the controversial issues I may discuss.

Adobe's “photoshop for audio" has given me a completely new reason to want to disguise my voice. Imagine if you make an unscrupulous enemy in the future. If they have your voice recorded they could cause you all sorts of problems. I can already hear the counterargument that they could record your voice in a million different situations. I agree with that, but the more recordings of you that exist the easier it will be to edit them.

Another issue is the fact that a popular YouTube channel can get millions of views. If people dislike what you're saying on YouTube enough, you could end up with millions of people disliking you. All it will take now is one crazy person who dislikes you enough to make a fake recording of you saying something you never said, and you could be in a lot of trouble.

I think another important related issue is the fact that if you're going to be talking with strangers you meet online over Skype or the like, disguising your voice may be a good idea then as well.

I posted a thread that similar to this one concerning posting pictures online. I know a lot of people here believe that going to lengths such as changing your voice on YouTube videos or not posting your picture online means that you're afraid or being overly cautious. I don't think one be cautious enough about issues such as these anymore.
edit on 3-12-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
Is it time to disguise your voice online?

Why?
I don't say anything that would bring me shame if known.
There are no secrets!
All is Known!

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: namelesss

A member of this forum wrote that they would never hire anyone who would vote for Donald Trump. That was stated months before Trump was elected POTUS. That person may have changed their view, but the point remains. Expressing certain opinions can get one in a lot of trouble in a lot of ways.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
a reply to: namelesss

A member of this forum wrote that they would never hire anyone who would vote for Donald Trump. That was stated months before Trump was elected POTUS. That person may have changed their view, but the point remains. Expressing certain opinions can get one in a lot of trouble in a lot of ways.

Then perhaps those opinions shouldn't be expressed, if fearful of the results.
I stand beside what I say, fearlessly, honestly.

I'm not too sure that anyone on this site has gotten into too much trouble for speaking his mind. Perhaps an impotent shark attack from one side or t'other, but no real damage.
And if your opinion changes, that shouldn't matter to the intellectually honest person.

If you fear the result of walking through 'south central' shouting ni**er, perhaps one might rethink exercising such 'free speech'.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   
im in the same boat with you. If you have people you want to protect besides yourself and youre concerned that commenting on controversial material would endanger them you really only have a few choices: you can not do it at all.....you can give the material to someone else....or you can do it yourself and mask your voice.....I favor the last option.

question: arent there other audio programs or devices that can do this? seems like ive seen it in the movies alot....

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   
That saying, "Don't trust anything you hear and only half of what you see" can now be changed to don't trust anything you see or hear online, period. If that tech is available to the general public, think of how far ahead the tech is for the government.

There is a recent thread here about how anything digital now-a-days can't be trusted as case evidence. This information supports that contention. Anyone can be set up for a fall online. Let's hope that there is enough tech to prove what has been artificially created as evidence. It may even be beyond staying offline entirely at this point. Scary stuff to consider that your enemies could set you up digitally and you may have no way to protect from it.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

well remember that scene in the newer "manchurian candidate" movie with Denzel Washington where at the end they gov had a technician scrub Denzels character from a CCTV recording and put another person in his place. I believe we can do this rather easily now with animation.

Look at all the animated people in realistic movies like the newest Lord of the Rings movies where many of the action scenes arent real people at all.....its all CGI....

very soon we will not need real actors at all.....

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   
The worry about using your own voice for talking about whatever topic will largely depend on the country you live in (and its laws) and how much you worry about receiving criticism or threats from people who disagree.

Personally...that isn't what worries me...

I am more concerned about how people could be framed for crimes. There is already an area of linguistics called Forensic Linguistics where they literally use audio clips from the crime scene and recordings from interrogations, etc. to link the person to the crime scene. Now, imagine this in the hands of a police officer or prosecutor who are after a quota (or simply trying to wrap up the case with "A" criminal, rather than "THE" criminal). Given the progress with computer generated graphics, it's also only a hop, skip, and a jump away from "forging" (not sure if this is the correct word...) a video with audio as evidence that you committed a crime. This is what I am worried about.

Thanks for bringing up this topic! Not quite sure how to protect against the potential issues I raised, but knowing about it is at least a start!
edit on 4-12-2016 by SomethingLingual because: formatting

new topics

top topics

join