It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need Help Stencil Plates Art

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Hi, i know many of you have an interest in art work, im looking for stencil plates to actually either paint in or press on.
Does anyone of you have experience with it, and recommend something?

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
You can go to any vinyl sign shop and they can do that for you, they make masks/stencils all of the time, not just signs.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   
If I understand you correctly..you want to find pre-made stencils..
Vinyl is best material to work with, easily washable and reusable....the largest design variety choice I have found was on Ebay.
Ebay was the only place I was able to locate the unusual stylized elements for the gypsy wagon we are creating.
But you may have to try several different worded searches to find all the hidden choices that Ebay has for sale.
While there are lots of specialized stencil online stores..they are quite expensive
Amazon, Walmart etc. only have your run of the mill designs..nothing too imaginative or exciting.

Also a tip if you are new to painting with stencils : Preparation is key to success
Use a lot of backwards rolled (blue painters )tape pieces under all areas to hold stencil firmly in place.
For best results to stop edge bleed through, only use up and down pounce method ..NOT wiping brush back and forth
Wiping brush back and forth can accidentally push paint up under edges of stencil..ruining the whole project.

Start with a barely water dampened chubby bristle brush
Load your brush with very little paint ..NOT loaded..thoroughly distribute paint covering all bristles...dab off on paper towel
Start pouncing up and down with brush in middle of area towards outer edges..but stop short before doing the edges
Position brush half OFF vinyl stencil edge and half ON edge area to be painted ( this method helps give a clean crisp painted edge look)
Good luck and happy stenciling

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: SaloonSal

Could you maybe post a pic of the gypsy wagon?

What do i write in the search field?

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Is it a one time thing or a multiple copies project? Is your design simple or complex? Are you stenciling a shirt, a signboard etc.? You can use bondpaper or vinyl. Use a standard X-Acto knife with #11 blade to cut your stencil. Here's a few links:
How to Stencil Print
Screen Printing Stencil Method
How to Make a Vinyl Stencil
Use a sponge to apply the paint, dab it lightly on top to avoid smudges. If you're stenciling a shirt, use an improvise shirtboard under the shirt. Have fun!

edit on 09 11 2015 by MaxTamesSiva because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: MaxTamesSiva

Have you ever worked in a grunge style?

Thanks for all the info, it helpeD!

Edit; Where did you find a shirtboard?
edit on 2016123 by tikbalang because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang
Wow, that'll be a bit detailed, steady hands and a lot of patience will go a long way. Almost anything will do for a shirtboard, a corrugated cardboard or plyboard... anything flat wrapped with a smooth paper or fabric will do. The shirtboard's use is to prevent the paint from bleeding to the backside and to keep it in place.

Shirtboard or platen.
If you're screenprinting it, use a squeegee. Lots of DIY tips on YouTube. Just give me a holler if you have more questions.

edit on 09 11 2015 by MaxTamesSiva because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang

Could you maybe post a pic of the gypsy wagon?

What do i write in the search field?

The picture will have to wait as the gypsy wagon resides up at our summer camp and is in the final stages of construction.
We've been collecting all kinds of cool and garish antique furnishings and vintage textiles, gingerbread trim and huge scrolled porch corbel overhangs.
I am getting excited and impatient having to wait till next summer to do the paint job.
I'm doing what I call a "Black Widow Romanian Rose" motif exterior paint design inspired from the brightly patterned Romanian (GOOGLE TO SEE) "Khokhloma" style ..amber stained grid pattern wood, black border background ,large trailing red roses & green leaves.

SHOPPING SEARCH TIPS:
Search terms for Ebay ----First choose Category "Crafts" in main search box .....
"(insert word like flower or whatever look or shape you want) vinyl stencil "..
You could also try a longer more exhausting search by just typing in "stencil" under "All categories", then check off boxes on left page field to narrow down choices to "BUT IT NOW" and price limit you want to spend.
Good Luck

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Geeez, there were thousands, thanks!

Dont forget to post the wagon, im a Kale ( Gypsy )

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Im gonna test it and see what happens, trial and error only way !

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang
Start with simple stencils and work your way up as you get the hang of the process. Good luck!

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang

Im gonna test it and see what happens, trial and error only way !

I have a cad cutting vinyl cutter that I sometimes use to make stencils for artwork and to personalise stuff.

it was not too epensive given what it can do so if your looking to do a lot and have a spare 500 dollars(I am guessing at that as mine was about 350gbp) then look into it, hours of fun

I cut the template for the name with the vinyl cutter(sorks in a similar way to a printer but cuts as opposed to printing) and then applied it to the dog bed and used an air brush to paint it. You can get a lot more detail than the example in the picture shows and you can layer them if needed.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific
That's really expensive, I have to sell one of my kidneys in blackmarket to be able to afford that... that's enough bribe money to the police for getting caught stealing a baby elephant.

top topics

join