It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-16 involved in landing accident in Korea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
A US F-16 from the 51st Fighter Squadron appears to have overrun the runway at Osan Air Base in Korea. The pilot ejected safely and is in good condition. He was taken to the local hospital to be checked out, and had only ejection related injuries. The pilot declared an emergency prior to landing.

After landing from a training mission, a U.S. Air Force fighter pilot ejected from an F-16 Fighting Falcon
assigned to the 36th Fighter Squadron at approximately 5 p.m.
The pilot was taken to the 51st Medical Group clinic and was listed in good condition.
“We are relieved that our Mustang pilot ejected safely, and is now in the good hands of our medical team,”

www.rokdrop.net...

edit on 12/3/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thats a pretty good landing all things considered. It landed...

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

That's probably fixable at the unit level with some Lockheed support.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
You learn something new everyday I didn't know pilots could eject at such a low altitude.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: KungfuStu

Most modern ejection seats are 0/0, meaning zero knots and zero feet. You can safely eject parked on the ramp.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
So what does the ejection do to the cockpit? Cosmetic damage or more. Generally it wouldn't matter but this might be salvageable.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
It will depend on the damage done to the entire plane. The rocket motors that power the seat will scorch the cockpit and cause massive damage to the controls and instrument panel. If the damage exceeds more than half the value of the plane they'll take off what the can salvage and scrap it. I spent 10 years taking accident investigation photos for the USAF and this is undoubtedly a Class A Mishap. My best and good thread.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell

I've heard of some that didn't do much damage, and others that scorched the entire cockpit area.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: airforce47

Some of the ones they decide to repair are frankly pretty surprising. We had an F-15 that the pilot did everything BUT eject, FOD down both engines, three tires deflated or exploded, three brakes melted, actual cracking around the tailhook, where it grabbed the wire on the far end of the runway at something like 200 knots and ran it all the way out... Sat there for about three months getting enough work done to get back to the Depot so they could fix it permanently.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
What is the saying? any landing you walk away from is a good landing?...

Seriously tons of respect for these guys

It's funny, I work at times hundreds of feet in the air on the steel beams, I wonder if those pilots would say " your'e nuts"

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

I'm willing to bet that the majority would. It's a whole lot safer being thousands of feet in the air with wings to hold you up.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

yeah I don't know about all that, but thanks to you and everybody that is up there, out there, over there, under there

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Right now the EU is stoking up tensions between North and South Korea, exploiting any kind of military missile test as a pretext to further drag the US into crazy engagements against North Korea and in support of the South.

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   
rooky.....poor old boy...

God love him. Not a flameout huh? Sounds like a flameout....
edit on 6-3-2017 by GBP/JPY because: Flameout

edit on 6-3-2017 by GBP/JPY because: Rooky

posted on Mar, 6 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flanker86
Right now the EU is stoking up tensions between North and South Korea, exploiting any kind of military missile test as a pretext to further drag the US into crazy engagements against North Korea and in support of the South.

N.Korea launching missiles that land 200 miles off the coast of Japan is all good in your books? Post your thoughts in the appropriate thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 6-3-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

top topics

join