It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern American 'Racism'---- Does Calling People Racist Work Anymore?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
This story from the American Thinker is a real easy read and goes into the over use and how crying racism it is now diluted. The story is from 2009, but I think that applies now more than it did in '09.

The story talks about how the word racism has been used for a catch all for a wide variety of different problems that people have. Uttering the words is a claim that the person isn't at fault it's the job's fault, or to cover any other short fall that they may have.

In modern America, racism means anything you want it to mean. If you want a job you're not qualified for, or you don't want to work at all but still want to get paid, or if you want to stop someone from doing something, or you want to punish someone for doing something, just scream racism at the top of your lungs until your lawyer gets someone to pay you to shut up.

Here as some actual examples from the article, they are silly, and have lead me to wonder if calling someone a racist has lost it's usefulness in the political areana. These aren't made up, they are true. Even the toddler is a racist.

Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal questions whether to take federal stimulus money because to do so may obligate the state to continue to fund some programs long after the federal money runs out. He's a racist.
Dallas County Commissioner Kenneth Mayfield says paperwork that keeps getting lost in a county office has disappeared into "a black hole." He's a racist.
Toddlers who say "yuk" when fed unfamiliar ethnic food. They're racists. (Technically, this was based on a British study, but they speak English, too.)
An Indiana University student working as a part-time university custodian reads the book Notre Dame vs. the Klan: How the Fighting Irish Defeated the Ku Klux Klan in an employee break room (the book is available in the school's library). He's a racist.
A man tells a co-worker he wrecked his car after losing control of it on a patch of "black ice." He's a racist.
Anyone who suggests a link between Islam and violence is a racist.
Anyone who suggests stricter border security is a racist.
And obviously, anyone who didn't vote for Barack Obama is by default a racist.
www.americanthinker.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Folks used to rely on calling someone a "racist" to pretty much win/end any argument. Immediate victory and round of applause.

So they did that every ten minutes for 30 years.

Result: nobody cares anymore.

Dunno what comes next.

Im sure they dont either.

+16 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Today, those calling Racist are the Racist.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Calling people that 'are' racist is useless. The only purpose of calling someone racist is to woke an ignorance, if it's arrogance and they just are a racist that won't do anything, at that point it's basically an accurate slur. They are trying to turn 'racism' into a radical thought. True racists aren't generally just racist, but immune to anything politically correct, and use far more slurs. Trying to communicate with someone considered 'racist' is hard to do.

Only racists would be 'infuriated' with the media spin about racism, even I agree they are overplaying it.

The echo chamber from the Right over this is(IMO) a trap though set by the Left to see who 'really-cares-hard', to inspect ulterior motivations and cause division conversation and character assassination of the people who think speaking against this is wrong. They are half correct, and this is how they win. It's not that they are right, it's that you shouldn't care if someone wrongly accuses you of racism.

If a black man on the street called me a racist, I would laugh. The absurdity of false accusation is up there with racism by definition, just follow suit. Gosh.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Does calling people racist work anymore?

How is calling someone a racist supposed to work?

edit on 3-12-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
American Thinker is on the same level as WND or Newsmax. Problematic doesn't begin to describe this sources credibility.

Here's an article on their site by white supremacist Jared Taylor:

I'd take anything they say on race with a grain of salt. Then again, this may be the type of fake news you're into.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

Does calling people racist work anymore?

If they are ignorant, and don't know they are racist, but know what a racist is, they might change behavior.

If they are arrogant they will not change behavior.

Option c is the action is 'questionably racist' in the first place and they are being attacked, is where this is trying to come from.
edit on 3-12-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

I think it was used to shut people up. Then Trump came along and didn't give a rip if they called him that. In fact he said he/we doesn't have time to be PC.
It is a symptom of division. At work the guys who are a mix give each other a hard time about stereo types.
All in good fun.
But what has happened is when there is true racism there is a chance it won't be taken seriously.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
It has got to such levels of ridiculousness that if I hear it said today the person and their views become irrelevant. It is used mostly by people that can't have a logical argument when the facts are against them.

The SJW's and all their name calling have made them ignorant pariahs in most communities and they don't see it.
edit on 3/12/16 by spirit_horse because: typos

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Nope!

The word has become meaningless! It really is a shame, because it really prevents those who are victims of racism from being legitimate victims of it. The word "racist" and how it has been negligently been used the past 8 years, has made those who use the word as a weapon to support a political ideology a joke.

Why do you think they changed it to "Alt right"?

Calling some one a racist has become the equivalent of being an intellectual coward! Doesn't bother me in the least to be called a racist at this point.

As a matter of fact, that is why Trump is now the President Elect! I just hope that the insanity of calling people who are not racist continues, because that will be the death of the Progressive agenda and the globalism they represent.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Silly is an understatement.

I have a totally white dog, and a totally black dog. That's like saying I'm a racist because I don't have a golden one as well.

I told my husband once that black spiders are scarier. I guess I am racist 😳

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
American Thinker is on the same level as WND or Newsmax. Problematic doesn't begin to describe this sources credibility.

I'd take anything they say on race with a grain of salt. Then again, this may be the type of fake news you're into.

Its an opinion piece not news, regardless of where it is an opinion when described as such is not fake news.

I agree with his opinion, racist and sexist have lost most of their bite and meaning, they are basically just go to words when someone cant win an argument with facts

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

Silly is an understatement.

I have a totally white dog, and a totally black dog. That's like saying I'm a racist because I don't have a golden one as well.

I told my husband once that black spiders are scarier. I guess I am racist 😳

Why did you feel the need to mention the white dog first?

Your racism is so obvious its blinding

link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff

Its an opinion piece not news, regardless of where it is an opinion when described as such is not fake news.

I agree with his opinion, racist and sexist have lost most of their bite and meaning, they are basically just go to words when someone cant win an argument with facts

It's an opinion piece being sold as news. Which is in turn, fake news.

link   

Without a definitive answer, we'll never know if it stopped working.

As an unmerited insult, the people being called racist are responsible for showing the accuser whether or not the word still "works" provocatively.

As a descriptor, the accuser that labels a person or act racist is responsible for applying the term correctly. Anyway, that's how I think about it.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

I can't imagine working or living in an environment where every word you use, gestures (finger guns come to mind) and even how you look at someone is under suspicion and scrutiny.
It reminds me of an HR talk on joking or inappropriate comments, intent means nothing. How can you know if you are offending someone if you don't intend to?
edit on 3-12-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff

It's an opinion piece being sold as news. Which is in turn, fake news.

Can you highlight the part that you think makes it fake news for me?

It seems pretty obvious to me that its a guys opinion backed with evidence to support that opinion.

How is it fake news?

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Fake news didn't exist until recently, started with the flat, dough, sauce and cheese-gate. And of course this article was from 2009.
Was fake news around then?

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Does Calling People Racist Work Anymore?

Doubtful, the left completely ripped all meaning from the word by redefining anything they see fit to squeeze it into some kind of narrative at any time they feel they need to play the victim in order to be free from any responsibility in any argument they find themselves in.

People these days are fingered as being racist for chewing white chewing gum for crying out loud. Anyone who is not meek and weak will have started desensitizing to it if they even fell for it to begin with. People are tired of it and they find the people who talk like that 24/7 bumbling idiots and rightfully so. They are being insulted day in and day out.

If i were the left or the BLM or the la raza i would not be surprised that one day they might get the actual race war they are wishing for right now with 1 big difference that no one outside of their own little hate instigating bubble group will give a damn anymore.

It happened in france already.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Calling someone 'a name' is called an 'ad hominem' attack and as such is illogical in any case. So I think the idea that people are less likely to take this kind of speech seriously when personally directed is an improvement.

However that said, many still, take such 'fallacies' as fact when they come from a 'respected' (or not) source and that is de-evolutionary as fact so we still have that leap to make.

Racism is alive and well - as judged by people's behavior and speech. And each instance of bigoted speech and behavior needs to be decried.

We all have 'biases' and need to be aware of them, but principled people don't assume every member of a group fits our own biased profile hence the word prejudice. Or to Pre-Judge a person based on belonging (in our opinion) to a certain group that we don't like or have had poor experiences with or don't care to understand or and of the myriad ways we cast people as 'other' nor do they give voice (behavior) to such subjective 'poop' in public discourse.

Without looking at ourselves and learning our 'bigotries' we are naive - no actually dumb maybe bordering on stupid. In any case not a person to follow.

I'm reminded of a movie I saw - maybe a TV show - the names haven't stayed with me but the scene did. Police had brought in a fellow on rape charges and were questioning him. The fellow claimed innocence and was being very open with the police with the intent of clearing up the charges against him. As you listened to the questions and responds it slowly dawned on you (and the police) that this young man didn't know what rape was. He has learned that when women said no - it meant yes, that when women fought back it meant 'they liked it', etc. It was truly horrifying to watch. He was guilty of rape - his behavior was criminal - but, to him subjectively, he was just having a good time. His ignorance (intent) didn't exonerate him of his crime.

Bigotry is much like the above...

White people/men of all colors don't often see their own biases and hence mistakenly believe they don't have them - nothing could be further from the truth.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join