It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Approves Measure for Crusade Against “Fake News” — Using DoD Funding

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Congress Approves Measure for Crusade Against “Fake News” — Using DoD Funding

Congress is ready to join the crusade against so-called “fake news,” forwarding a measure through the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) to combat purported foreign propaganda and disinformation. The news comes after mainstream media have been busy promoting bogus blacklists, lashing out at those who dare question the narrative. According to VOA:

“A congressional committee on Wednesday approved the measure, which would expand the ability of the State Department’s Global Engagement Center to identify and combat online disinformation. It still must be voted on by the full House and Senate and signed by the president before taking effect…

Source

Washington post Article on it
A two-year $160 million authorization will be through the annual military budget. This is will considered part of the "war on terror".

Just giving some heads up on the madness concerning "Fake News". Who is going to make the suspected list? Where does it end? As this site(removed from at least one list), and others were put on non official lists so far.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Here we go, more rights sre going to be taken away, good luck americans.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Here we go, more rights sre going to be taken away, good luck americans.

Thanks, sadly it could get to the point where any news can be thrown on the list. People thought FB, Twitter,... private sites were the last of the worry!

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I thought this was a Trump thing?

I smell a state run media organization popping up soon.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Alex Jones as a Terrorist? That will give him opportunity to overthrow the government and become the anti christ. Lets not validate his existance please.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   
As long as they begin with the MSM titans of fake news and social engineering then maybe, just maybe...
edit on 3-12-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 01:20 AM
link   
MSM's dream come true. Believe only the 'official' news we spew out. Everything else is fake.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Late Friday ramrod bill is it? Is that a DNC Congress down there, or what's going on here?

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Why not just reinstate the Smith-Mudit act? I mean why on earth would it have been repealed unless the aim was to do things it prohibited...what a circus we are witnessing.

Hey guys we need to get rid of these laws stopping us from lying to the people through journalism and news organizations so we can manipulate the masses easier...

Wait we aren't the only ones taking advantage of this...quick let's fight fake news...unless it's ours. Notice how they don't really define things in a way they will be culpable for their propaganda yet allowing them to control anyone else's propaganda or contrary options/the actual facts.

For those curious... Smith-Mundit
edit on 3-12-2016 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Late Friday ramrod bill is it? Is that a DNC Congress down there, or what's going on here?

They were getting pretty busy with draconian laws all this week all the while everyone is enamored with distractions.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I wonder how long it will be before they hit the conspiracy websites??? It is coming... Such is the 4th Rieche. Couldn't fund the rise of the Rieche this time round, so they are doing it themselves.

When you have a Trump(Fart), it's always a precursor to a SH
T....
edit on 3-12-2016 by DreamerOracle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: DreamerOracle
I wonder how long it will be before they hit the conspiracy websites??? It is coming... Such is the 4th Rieche. Couldn't fund the rise of the Rieche this time round, so they are doing it themselves.

When you have a Trump(Fart), it's always a precursor to a SH
T....

May depend on if they reference the lists that come out. The big CTs are on the lists.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 01:56 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Yeah, and I Sssssmell Brietbart.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 01:59 AM
link   
But what if they use Ron Paul's Fake news List. Now wouldn't that be a hoot.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

So Dems are going to push Breitbart? Interesting.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueShaman
MSM's dream come true. Believe only the 'official' news we spew out. Everything else is fake.

Guessing at this point with Hillary and the Democratic Administration poised to be out of the way in Jan;
1) Acting now before Trump gets in(unless he flip flops on such measures and wants them).
2) Want to counter the House and Senate being run Republicans: What better way via media?
a)Who are supposedly supported by Russia.
b)Counter their proverbial opposite half of the same sides of the coin.
c)Gotta keep divide and conquer alive.

Yup, we're in an information war.

Thanks Hillary and the rest that align with you, Dem or not, being it's somewhat bi partisan.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 02:02 AM
link   

edit on 3-12-2016 by dreamingawake because: double

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

So Dems are going to push Breitbart? Interesting.

Hmm, bite my own tongue.

“There is definitely bipartisan concern about the Russian government engaging in covert influence activities of this nature,” Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.), a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, said in a statement. “If you read section 501 of this year’s intelligence authorization bill, it directs the President to set up an interagency committee to ‘counter active measures by Russia to exert covert influence over peoples and governments.’ So that shows you that senators from both parties are clearly concerned about Russian covert influence efforts.”

www.washingtonpost.com... 52_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_russianews-420am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.d54efc3816d1

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

What Dems? Trump will be potus and both houses are in the hands of the Republicans.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Am I missing something here? DNC Congress? I was under the impression that both houses were controlled by the Republican Party. Is my information that far skewed?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join