It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump is Challenging China Even Before Becoming U.S. President.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Friday, December 2, 2016

President-elect Trump spoke with the Taiwanese president today. Since China hates Taiwan, and Donald Trump has been badmouthing China for many years, for unfair trade practices, do you think that he had this conversation with Tsai lng-wen intentionally, just to say F-You (middle finger) to China?

""WASHINGTON — President-elect Donald J. Trump spoke by telephone with Taiwan’s president on Friday, a striking break with nearly four decades of diplomatic practice that could precipitate a major rift with China even before Mr. Trump takes office.

Mr. Trump’s office said he spoke with the Taiwanese president, Tsai Ing-wen, “who offered her congratulations.” He is believed to be the first president or president-elect who has spoken to a Taiwanese leader since at least 1979, when the United States severed diplomatic ties with Taiwan as part of its recognition of the People’s Republic of China.""

FULL STORY: www.msn.com...

Maybe this is a non-story, since Donald Trump is still a Private Citizen. It's funny though, that the Mainstream Media has thrown Obama to the curb and started reporting on Trump's actions, like he's already the President!

(Does Donald Trump EVER Sleep?)

-CareWeMust

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Well, one thing is for sure. A Trump presidency won't be boring.

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Oh no.

Don't upset the communists. They might stop making trade deals that are horrible for the US.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

President-elect Trump spoke with the Taiwanese president today. Since China hates Taiwan, and Donald Trump has been badmouthing China for many years, for unfair trade practices, do you think that he had this conversation with Tsai lng-wen intentionally, just to say F-You (middle finger) to China?

Seeing the business he does with China he is more likely hoping China doesn't give him the middle finger.

People with this habit usually don't sleep much.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greggers

I want to see one of the Trump haters in the MSM have a stroke on live T.V.. They're getting closer to it every day that Trump opens his mouth, LOL.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

I thought we had to have R.E.M. sleep for at least 4 hours a night to keep our sanity. Hillary gets 9-10 hours. Maybe you can lose your sanity by sleeping too much as well.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Good point.

Trump is putting our nation's interests first, even ahead of his personal business interests with China that you allege.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
You know, we'll sail a nuclear aircraft carrier through the Straight of Taiwan when China gets "excitable" to assert US dominance every now and then. That's the norm.

The phone call that Trump made? Irresponsible. It signals change, unstable change from America. This is a departure from decades of holding the line through many changes of leadership. We're America, and stand together. Or we should.

This is the kind of crap that could start a war. China isn't just a bunch of Americans that live across an ocean. Their culture is very, very different and they play the "long game" in a way that is totally alien to Americans.

Take the first Gulf War as an example. Some diplomat (*cough* April Glaspie) probably was misunderstood by Saddam, leading Saddam to think that the US wouldn't care about his slant drilling into Kuwait. All it took was a misunderstanding and tens of thousands of lives were lost.

Now, you take a man who's opinions change faster than a stripper's clothing falls off -- you have a serious, serious problem.

You can be a "brilliant businessman" (which Trump is not, I'm sorry) -- but that does not make one a good diplomat. Diplomacy is important, and it takes tact. Trump could literally kick off a war because of a careless tweet.

This, however, is sadly a hard lesson about populism Americans probably won't learn (let's be real here, Americans don't even seem to remember we didn't like Bush Jr. anymore).

And it's not like we're unfriendly with Taiwan. Hell, Obama just sold them over a billion dollars worth of weapons last winter.

This is like your drunk uncle trying to barge into the room to make a point. Trump is trying to send a message to China and look tough to his worshipers, and he's doing it in a spectacularly terrible way. He's a bull in a China shop, and when he's done, there won't be anything good left.
edit on 3-12-2016 by Kettu because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Did anyone open the books and show Don the ledger?

Usually it doesn't go well when you mouth off to the bookies.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   

I would rather say that he is senind a strong message to China that the age of appeasement is over, they will have to stop forcing there way in the south China sea and accept there aggression curtailed, also he is intent upon stopping US job's from being shipped there and elsewhere by unpatriotic speculators', I am not from the US but though I may worry about some of his choice's I find I quite like the man, joke's about his former wife and trumping in an elevator aside.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Would that start a Trade War? Or perhaps result in China demanding that we immediately pay what we owe them, instead of interest-only payments?

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Since the world's economic system is so intertwined now, I tend to lean towards Kettu's way of thinking. Donald Trump should begin to think more like the leader of the most powerful/influential nation on the planet, instead of a self-made billionaire. His words will carry a lot of weight in a couple of months. Maybe he knows this, maybe he thinks he does, but really doesn't. Unfortunately, if he has to learn the hard way, we'll all suffer, not just Donald.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   
*rubs forehead*

The China/Taiwan thing is so much more complex than the people here seem to realize. There's a reason why even other conservative presidents haven't done a stunt like this before.

Sure, we shouldn't let China walk all over us...but maybe we shouldn't flippantly piss off the world's 2nd largest economic power for lulz (laughs).

It might help if people understood how the Chinese thought and acted. Here's a good start: Thick Black Theory (Wikipedia)

Chinese, as I said -- play the LONG game. While we may plan 20 years in advance, they're planning 50-100+ years down the road.

In order to get the upper hand on China, you have to understand China and think like them. You have to beat them at their own game. And that means listening to the people you're paying to analyze and prepare information about China for you (*cough* the Pentagon and DoD). You don't just casually blow off your entire intelligence community and go rouge. That's horrible for a true leader to do.

You simply cannot force that cheesy American false bravdo and cowboy bullsnip as the paradigm.

Jesus people study history, study war, study politics and diplomacy. Intrastate diplomacy isn't a freaking game, and wars have been started for a lot of stupid reasons, and Trump never seems to run out of thoughtless things to do.

The thing is, you never hear about successful diplomacy because it works.
edit on 3-12-2016 by Kettu because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: Greggers

I want to see one of the Trump haters in the MSM have a stroke on live T.V.. They're getting closer to it every day that Trump opens his mouth, LOL.

It's more fun to watch Donnie's supporters keep constantly making up excuses for all the lies he told while getting elected. So far it's been no insiders or elites in his cabinet and that's all he put in his cabinet. Then jail Hillary and guess what? No jail time for Hillary. Scrap Obamacare? Nope that's changed also. First hundred days? More like first hundred lies.

I thought we had to have R.E.M. sleep for at least 4 hours a night to keep our sanity. Hillary gets 9-10 hours. Maybe you can lose your sanity by sleeping too much as well.

Quite possible she's as nutty as a fruitcake.

Maybe this is a non-story, since Donald Trump is still a Private Citizen.

If they really wanted Trump out they could use this little conversation to get him out. Because it's a violation of the Logan act.

The Logan Act (1 Stat. 613, 18 U.S.C. § 953, enacted January 30, 1799 ) is a United States federal law that forbids unauthorized citizens from negotiating with foreign governments having a dispute with the U.S. It was intended to prevent the undermining of the government's position.

They could easily push this and get a conviction.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

Did anyone open the books and show Don the ledger?

Usually it doesn't go well when you mouth off to the bookies.

Especially when those bookies have nukes.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Friday, December 2, 2016

""WASHINGTON — President-elect Donald J. Trump spoke by telephone with Taiwan’s president on Friday, a striking break with nearly four decades of diplomatic practice that could precipitate a major rift with China even before Mr. Trump takes office.

Mr. Trump’s office said he spoke with the Taiwanese president, Tsai Ing-wen, “who offered her congratulations.” He is believed to be the first president or president-elect who has spoken to a Taiwanese leader since at least 1979, when the United States severed diplomatic ties with Taiwan as part of its recognition of the People’s Republic of China.""

FULL STORY: www.msn.com...

Maybe this is a non-story, since Donald Trump is still a Private Citizen. It's funny though, that the Mainstream Media has thrown Obama to the curb and started reporting on Trump's actions, like he's already the President!

-CareWeMust

Lol. Not even President yet and negotiating(maybe) with other nations. I actually met some young visitors from Taiwan the other day. If they are any indication of their home countries mannerisms, I am very impressed.

Well he told people he would win the Presidency. He did. He kept his word. He worked harder than any of the other candidates, sometimes 3 or 4 rallies a day. His work ethic cannot be challenged. He started with his promise of keeping jobs here in America, with Carrier. He is keeping his word. Not even President yet. I just hope he can keep one third of his promises, but at the rate he is working I wouldn't be surprised if he kept all of them. He is doing great so far, without being in office and people still don't want to give him a chance.

The silent majority gave President Obama 2 chances, and the nation has become very divided during his Presidency. He could not get the job done. He could not bring this country together. But he did divide us.

The silent majority wants unification above all else. The silent majority has decided to give Trump a chance. If he can't do the job, with his work ethic, I see little hope for unification.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   

....China will be....

...FFFFFFFFFF***********ed

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   
It might be against accepted protocol, but he has shown quite clearly that the status quo is going to change.
He just dropped an olive in the glass, and is letting them know that he is about to pour that Martini. I just hope they keep a level head in all of this, there is so much tension in the world.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   

I want to see a Drumpf lover turn orange on ANY network.

They're getting closer to it every day that Drumpf controls their water, LOL.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I don't understand how Drumpf can 'challenge' China.

There are numerous implications to any strategy of trying to dictate policy to China. They are not in the habit of kowtow-ing to Western leaders.

In fact, Drumpf may find they don't negotiate with him at all...who's he gonna fire if he's the only one at the table?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join