It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump breaks US policy stance with direct Taiwan call

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Mr Trump's transition team said he and Tsai Ing-wen noted "close economic, political, and security ties" between the US and Taiwan in a phone call.

The move risks angering China, which sees Taiwan as a breakaway province.

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi has reportedly dismissed the call as a "small move" by Taiwan.

Mr Trump tweeted that Ms Tsai had called him to congratulate him on winning the US election.

LINK

Once again I ask...

Can anyone present a good argument for how and why it doesn't matter who the POTUS is?

We just may have the first non-puppet POTUS since JFK. I would think that would be a development that almost everyone on a conspiracy forum would want. I'm all too aware that about 30% of this forum would rather have a puppet "devil you know" type. That makes me wonder what they're doing on a conspiracy forum to begin with.

As far as what a non-puppet POTUS could do and say...I think all bets are off. The situation with Taiwan is a good example.

What other surprises may be in store?
edit on 2-12-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I am surprised, but I am on board with Trump on this (though he fudged the truth about how the call came about. It was not out of the blue; a Trump adviser in Taiwan set it up).

Solely recognizing China and not Taiwan is ridiculous and actually goes against U.S. policy in other areas. If Kosovo is a country, why is Taiwan not a country?

Edit to add: I do find it interesting that Trump recently met with Kissinger, the architect of this stupid U.S. policy.
edit on 2-12-2016 by JimSmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

We have no other option than to wait and see.

I still have that lovely thread of mine for when the take rump out. I think that it is his running mate they want to give the job to.

It does look promising though if indeed he is.

P

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Trump sums it up best in this tweet.

Donald J. Trump 4h4 hours ago Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump

Interesting how the U.S. sells Taiwan billions of dollars of military equipment but I should not accept a congratulatory call.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   
This is good!!

Who says America can't stand up to those commie bastards?

I'm behind Trump all the the way in this endeavor.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
Trump sums it up best in this tweet.

Donald J. Trump 4h4 hours ago Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump

Interesting how the U.S. sells Taiwan billions of dollars of military equipment but I should not accept a congratulatory call.

There it is, dirty little team-warpig inconvenient awkwardness, the Achilles heel of reality.

Trump is change, he's not the norm, he clearly understands the importance of relationships with all countries, especially the ones getting da gunz.

New day, new deals.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Of course. This gives me some optimism about his presidency. Providing this type of stuff should yield some type of appreciation that much is certain.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Can you explain why talking and diplomacy is now a bad thing? It seems no matter what Trump does its all of a sudden a bad thing. I can't imagine the media going nuts if Obama did it.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Hi Profusion,

Please allow me to point out ...

The real name for Taiwan is Nationalist China.

Jimmy Carter's second most insidious, anti-American accomplishments was closing the US embassy in Nationalist China, and sucking up to Communist China.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Taiwanese wifey says "I love Trump!"

And when I asked her if she knew which president closed the embassy she growled "Carter!" Before I finished the sentence. She remembers the protests against it, they stomped on peanuts dumped in the street.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Trump breaks US policy stance with direct Taiwan call

And who set the policy ? Dumbass Carter ? (I am from Georgia. The first President I voted for . I have a right to call Jimmy what I want to.) Tried to barter hostage lives for Billy Beer ? That Carter ?

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Without the US directly and openly supporting the independence of Taiwan, it would only be a matter of time before China attempted to take over Taiwan militarily...as they have been preparing to do for many years. This act would, in fact, be the final chapter in the Chinese Communist takeover of China.

Taiwan was the last stand of the Chinese Nationalist Government, in the Chinese Civil War that pitted the Nationalists against the (then) upstart Communists. Chiang Kai-shek, in fact, after retreating with his army and Government to Taiwan continued to plan to someday take back the mainland (a pipe dream to be sure).

This phone call is going to rub the mainland Chinese Government the wrong way for sure - and I say, good. Trump has, in a very clever way, sent Beijing the message that not everything is going to be "business as usual" under his Administration.

I am sure China is wondering what comes next - and again I say, good.

China is becoming increasingly aggressive, with its claims to the South China Sea, etc., and it is a good thing that they understand that they can only go so far without running into an American straight arm - and any designs they may have on absorbing Taiwan by force should be strongly discouraged, in the interests of peace and stability in Asia.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I think its silly that so many countries do business with Taiwan but refuse to recognize it as a nation. So good for Trump.

new topics

top topics

join