It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists are right...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
People behave morally without religion then why is religion even necessary? Much of what is in the Bible seems like made up fairy tales with no modern day evidence supporting it. So are atheists right? Since there's no evidence for God's existence and people who don't go to church behave just a moral as those who do go to church whats the point of believing in God?
edit on 2-12-2016 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
People behave morally without religion then why is religion even necessary? Much of what is in the Bible seems like made up fairy tales with no modern day evidence supporting it. So are atheists right? Since there's no evidence for God's existence and people who don't go to church behave just a moral as those who do go to church whats the point of believing in God?

you do realize that the abrahamic religions are not the only ones right? there are many gods other than the one referenced in the bible. its weird that islam and christianity are the only ones regularly talked about on this forum. Odin and Shiva and quetzlcotl and Zeus and cernunnos and lugh and hotep (just to name a few) deserve acknowledgment too.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

We all believe in something.

Edit; The secret is called a television set
edit on 2016122 by tikbalang because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

People behave morally without religion

Very true. Myself included. Lots do. Oddly enough this is still a point of contention.

then why is religion even necessary?

It isn't necessary for morality as a whole, perhaps it's necessary for certain individuals. Which I find worrisome.

However, a discussion on the necessity of religion shouldn't be confined to morality.

Much of what is in the Bible seems like made up fairy tales with no modern day evidence supporting it.

Which leads more and more religious people to take an increasing amount of scripture allegorically.

So are atheists right?

It's the reasonable position to disbelieve something is true when it lacks supporting evidence.

whats the point of believing in God?

I think this should be reworded as what's the point in believing in religion. Someone could hold god belief (say in a deist/pantheist sense) that holds no bearing on morality.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Does there need to be a point ??

Why can't people just enjoy the things that give them joy without others feeling the need to question it ?

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

its weird that islam and christianity are the only ones regularly talked about on this forum

I don't find that odd. They are the biggest religions in the World

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
That is why in ancient times a clock was secured in a cloth bag. It is said that the meaning of the clock in a bag has been lost in time. That is why we erect a six foot aluminum pole with high tensile strength, to remind us that any erection is good. Celebrate Festivus for the restivus. I will grieve you. You will be an attractive female and you will pin me.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   

It helps keep the church as the wealthiest organization in the world.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy

its weird that islam and christianity are the only ones regularly talked about on this forum

I don't find that odd. They are the biggest religions in the World

the same was once said of each of the gods i mentioned previously. its strange to me how we now act as though such things were childish fantasies even as we praise the newest and shiniest of such fantasies. we killed the heathens, stole from them their most precious idols, then melted it all down to cobble together the most bastardized glittering golden idol of all and we don't even have the grace to thank them or apologize for making a grotesque caricature out of their sacred patrons/matrons.
edit on 2-12-2016 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   

the same was once said of each of the gods i mentioned previously.

No disagreement there. They became myth, they weren't always myth. Not sure how that's a rebuttal. If the question is why the hyperfocus on Christianity and Islam on ATS, wouldn't it make sense they'd be most often discussed since they are not yet deemed myth my the majority?

its strange to me how we now act as though such things were childish fantasies even as we praise the newest and shiniest of such fantasies.

Absolutely. It's quite humorous to me. In fairness, the OP wasn't doing much praising.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

I don't believe in a God but I do believe in the Force and I believe it is everywhere in the Universe. Also it makes more sense than invisible man in the sky.

I do believe that God might be a Cosmic Entity (A type of superpowered alien) a la Marvel.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Or....
It could be just this...

Just sayin..

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I lived a long time without religion and came to it by my own volition only recently. I have found-- for me-- that it has been the most valuable and enriching decision I have ever made. I have prayed about the health of loved ones and seen miraculous recoveries. I feel as I actually have a growing, loving relationship with our Creator. I feel gratitude and love for God and his creation (which includes all of us).

So for me, I'm not going back. It could be a "fairy-tale" as some like to call it, but the reality of religion for me has been invaluable. I'm so happy where I am and wish the same kind of happiness and peace for everyone (not denying that atheists have that, I can't speak for others).

edit on 2-12-2016 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

People feel compelled to Govern each other.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Religion is not necessary if you don't believe it's necessary. It's a choice.

If you think the bible is made up fairy tales then don't read the bible. No one that I know forces you to read the bible. It's a choice.

Believing God is a choice.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   

you do realize that the abrahamic religions are not the only ones right? there are many gods other than the one referenced in the bible. its weird that islam and christianity are the only ones regularly talked about on this forum. Odin and Shiva and quetzlcotl and Zeus and cernunnos and lugh and hotep (just to name a few) deserve acknowledgment too.

Then by all means acknowledge them. They are all allowed to publish their own bibles and post them right here. JW's do this with some good posts and they will talk a hole in your shirt too.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   

i have never heard any good reason to believe in any of the gods that people people around me find so important to believe in.

If there actually is a god, and he flutters about and sprinkles good fortune on some, and then death, war, and disease, on others, then i think i would be pretty upset about that. But that is the god that most people believe in. The one who helps you find your car keys, while ignoring the pleas when the neighbor beats his wife and kids. A personal god who gives you a direct line to him whenever you need him to turn all the lights green when you're late to work. The one who only shows himself in miraculous coincidence. The god that beautiful people thank for not making them ugly people.

The kind of god who needs 40ft tall stainglass windows.

The kind of god who has his preachers webcast their sermons asking for more money.

The kind of god who allows his priests to abuse children.

I have no good reason to believe in any gods.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Agreed

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

I have prayed about the health of loved ones and seen miraculous recoveries.

Woodcarver brought up some good points. I'm curious how you would contrast that with your seemingly effective prayers.

Meaning, if god healed those people for you as a result of your prayer, why doesn't he answer the prayers of so many others that pray for their loved ones to overcome their ailments? Is there something special about the way you pray? Or does this god pick and choose among believers who he wants healed through prayer?

Doesn't convey omnibenevolence to me.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

I'm so happy where I am and wish the same kind of happiness and peace for everyone

It's great that it's enriched your life in this way.

not denying that atheists have that,

That's good. We do
We very much do.

I think the question the OP was asking was if these things are attainable without religion then why choose religion for them?

My question though, for you, is why do you think you were unable to have happiness prior to acquiring that faith?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join