It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

questions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I have some consertives leanings however I am not a true consertive because I am a liberal on social issues (I support gay marriage) , dont think god exists and think that everyone should pay less tax not just high income people .

Why are consertives and the church tied at the hips?
Why do consertives support censorship?
You cant have censorship and personal freedom.
Why do consertives appear to be on the wrong side of progress (stem cell research at one point consertives were against women voting)?
Do consertives really go for a fiscal responsablity?
example Reagan increased spending while reducing taxs. Bush seems to be doing the same thing.

I dont want another consertive/liberal bashing thread. Note I havnt said consertives are gay bashes and war mongers.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Why are consertives and the church tied at the hips?

I haven't been to church in years, yet I am conservative. I see Christians as a voting block, just like blacks, gays, and welfare recipients vote in blocks for liberals.

Why do consertives support censorship? What are you talking about?

Why do consertives appear to be on the wrong side of progress (stem cell research at one point consertives were against women voting)?

Would progress include liberating 50 million people from tyranny?

Do consertives really go for a fiscal responsablity?
example Reagan increased spending while reducing taxs. Bush seems to be doing the same thing.

When Reagan lowered taxes it was part of a deal with democrats to cut spending. Reagan did his part and revenue quadrupled. Democrats held the House and the Senate and did not reduce spending. Tip O'Neil the Speaker of the House during that time, declared all of Reagans budget proposals "DOA". Ask George HW Bush about compromising with democrats. He broke his "Read my lips" pledge, to work with democrats and they crucified him.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 11:13 PM
link   

I haven't been to church in years, yet I am conservative. I see Christians as a voting block, just like blacks, gays, and welfare recipients vote in blocks for liberals.
Ok if consertives and the church arent tied at the hip why dose Bush fund abstain programs ? (not sure if abstain is the correct term.)

Sorry should have been more clear about what I ment heres an example Consertives are pro lifes but on the other hand they stand for personal freedom. It dont seem right how can you have personal freedom and be pro life?

Would progress include liberating 50 million people from tyranny?
You do realize that the likes of gay marriage ,women voting are social issues and are differnt from what is happening in Iraq?

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11

Sorry should have been more clear about what I ment heres an example Consertives are pro lifes but on the other hand they stand for personal freedom. It dont seem right how can you have personal freedom and be pro life?

Oh, like liberals being pro-choice, but not when it comes to Social Security?

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Oh, like liberals being pro-choice, but not when it comes to Social Security
Carseller4 you didnt the orginal question. As for social security that is a differnt issue entirely! Do you care to explain what you mean?

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11

Oh, like liberals being pro-choice, but not when it comes to Social Security
Carseller4 you didnt the orginal question. As for social security that is a differnt issue entirely! Do you care to explain what you mean?

If you call yourself "pro-choice" shouldn't you be pro-choice on everything?

You applaud the choice to have your baby, give it up for adoption, or just plain murder your baby.

But when it comes to allowing people to choose how to save for retirement, you want the government to give you no choice? Hypocritical!

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Carseller4 I would rather save for my own retirement keep the government out of my life. So I am not a Hypocrit in the way you suggest. People should be able to save for there retirement tax free other wise you woudnt stand a chance of saving enough money.

[edit on 30-1-2005 by xpert11]

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
If we did away with SS, no kid would ever be able to get a job at Wal-Mart.

As for the why's about the church...the REALLY religious folks are the Conservative base. Just like Carseller pointed out, just like the liberal base has the gays (minus the Log Cabin's). Even if you have the devil run on your platform, your base will always be there.

You are confusing censorship and rights. Censorhip is saying "You cannot view that." And on both sides we have people that push the "you cannot view that" button. But limiting Personal Freedoms part, again Carseller is dead on about Social Security. We may disagree on the reasons why they have limited the freedom of that choice, but technically he is correct.

The front of progress...
You were going well until you tried to point out Iraq. That, my friend, is not progress. In fact, that is proof of no progress. In fact maybe that we are going backwards. (But that is for another subject...maybe later today after classes.)

And as far as stuff like stem-cell research, those Conservatives in power keep people ignorant to certain factors of it. But to be fair, noone would be open about stuff that would take the wind out of their sails. And I'm pretty sure if I searched I could find stuff where Liberals have withheld information to the public that would be damning.

Stem Cell: The conservatives never mention that the stem cells are coming from fertility clinics that have an over-abundance of these cells. These clinics will have to destroy them instead of using them to help out man. I think this is done to keep the illusion that we are having to abort them to supply this demand. Anybody who keeps themselves informed would know this. But that is the advantage of the government. I would say at most 15% of the American public keep updated with the news and issues.

I love how the buck got passed on the fiscal conservatism. I thought those dirty liberals hated the military? Oh...my bad...they didn't hate military yet...right...

Or...most of the debt accrued during the 80's was from the rampant military spending. Yes, our "who's got the bigger penis" contest with Russia made up most of that debt. That is not necessarily a bad thing. I'm just pointing the blame at the right place.

Anywho...my .02!

top topics

join