It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hill: This presidential elector will vote her conscience in Electoral College

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

In Federalist 68, Alexander Hamilton tells us why the Founding Fathers created the Electoral College: to prevent an unqualified demagogue who is under foreign influence from taking over the nation’s highest office.

Trump fails the Founding Fathers’ three part test for the presidency — he is unqualified, he is a dangerous demagogue, and he cannot prove his independence from foreign nations.

This means Trump as commander-in-chief is a clear and present danger to national security, and he will likely do permanent damage to the Bill of Rights, if inaugurated. Men like him are why the Electoral College exists as a Constitutional check and balance against popular, but unqualified, leadership for our country.

LINK

We may be watching history unfolding right before our eyes. It was easy to dismiss talk of the Electoral College overturning the result of the election when it started with the following...

Change.org Petition: Electoral College: Make Hillary Clinton President on December 19

Now we've got an elector writing an article about their decision to change their vote being published by The Hill. I think the article linked at the top of this post is clearly a call for other electors to do the same.

Meanwhile, the following news has just been released.

A top Democratic operative has confirmed that there is a plan amongst some members of the electoral college to defy the people in their states and not vote for Donald Trump on December 19th.

According to TV host David Pakman, who yesterday broke news of a plot by 15 electors to not vote for Trump and lobby others to do the same in an effort to prevent him from getting the 270 electoral votes he needs to become president, the claim has been corroborated by a second source.

LINK

No one seems to want to discuss it, but a "mutiny" in the Electoral College has happened before.

1836 Presidential Election: Faithless Electors Altered the Outcome of the Electoral College Vote
edit on 2-12-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I'll get the rope.
You haven't begun to see the riots and protests that would take place if the electoral college switches the election results.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Except it went nowhere, because the Senate still voted for the guy the EC wouldn't put into office.

Republicans control Congress. Even if the EC doesn't put Trump in over Clinton, if the vote goes to Congress I have a hard time buying they'd put Clinton in.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

There has been no logic in this cycle.

First they complain Trump is a nationalist, then they say he cannot be trusted with foreign powers? Which is it?

Oh and God forbid we DELAY WWIII (or WWIV) by toning down rhetoric against the all mighty Russia (who's rupel is worth almost half of what it was years ago).

Anyone check the DOW recently? The market is crashing right?

The media (corporate propaganda) has dilarea of the mouth, says things with no evidence and still is not held accountable. Thats the big problem in this country today, and I'll agree it's on both sides. Reporting is almost dead, opinion pieces get fed to us all as "facts" and people are starting to have problems knowing up from down.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Doesn't get much more pathetic than that to be honest.

But we all expected it.

Some people are just in too deep with Hillary.
Others are so far gone in their dislike for Trump.

& with that...it was bound to happen.

Won't matter though.
Trump will be POTUS.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

While I'll agree they may not put Trump in either. Their tones changed when he won but we all know before that there was plenty of bad sentiment for Trump on the right as well.

He is not a textbook Republican, and he can't be controlled.

I'd see them putting in Pence if they had the choice. (I wouldn't be thrilled, though there may have been no winning this cycle).

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Things could get very interesting domestically, if the E.C. selects Clinton and denies Trump.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Well this was a hate filled cycle each way. Never Trump or never Hillary voters outweighed actual supporters. And each campaign was fueled and driven by pointing out the many negative of the opponent. So the result will reflect that no matter what.

These parties need to pull it together. Both have had troubles producing quality candidates.

But that issue is more on the unlimited spending aloud, so of course establishment swill will be our only options, and the Paul's and Bernie's will continue to be suppressed even though the people have proven that is what we want.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Objections

Since 1887, 3 U.S.C. 15 sets the method for objections to electoral votes. During the Joint Session, Members of Congress may object to individual electoral votes or to state returns as a whole. An objection must be declared in writing and signed by at least one Representative and one Senator. In the case of an objection, the Joint Session recesses and each chamber considers the objection separately in a session which cannot last more than two hours with each Member speaking for no more than five minutes. After each house votes on whether or not to accept the objection, the Joint Session reconvenes and both chambers disclose their decisions. If they agree to the objection, the votes in question are not counted. If either chamber does not agree with the objection, the votes are counted.

Objections to the Electoral College votes were recorded in 1969 and 2005. In both cases, the House and Senate rejected the objections and the votes in question were counted.

history.house.gov...

Electoral Vote(s) can be nullified and not counted.

Looks like 2016 will be the newest year in which objected Electoral votes are recorded if too many decide to flip.

Government web sites are your friend.
edit on R542016-12-02T15:54:39-06:00k5412Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R542016-12-02T15:54:52-06:00k5412Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R042016-12-02T16:04:19-06:00k0412Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R062016-12-02T16:06:11-06:00k0612Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R062016-12-02T16:06:51-06:00k0612Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Well, yeah, there's mutiny afoot.

The DNC selected electors that actually want to see the electoral college abolished. Personally, I think that's pretty sh*tty. Electors should at least support the process they were selected to participate in. From a Politico article about six faithless Democratic electors:

But the Democratic electors are convinced that even in defeat, their efforts would erode confidence in the Electoral College and fuel efforts to eliminate it, ending the body’s 228-year run as the only official constitutional process for electing the president. With that goal in mind, the group is also contemplating encouraging Democratic electors to oppose Hillary Clinton and partner with Republicans in support of a consensus pick like Mitt Romney or John Kasich.

Link to Politico

This doesn't seem to bother anyone else but me though. I feel set up.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I'll get the rope.
You haven't begun to see the riots and protests that would take place if the electoral college switches the election results.

Uh, I would love to see that happen. There would be far more people here in So Cali, who would be Celebrating! Also places like, New York, Chicago, Atlanta, you know places that are diverse!! Trust me!!!!

Never in history have so many peoples protested a president elect

Of coarse Trump said if he lost he would demand a recount!

edit on 2-12-2016 by kurthall because: Add!!!!!

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

We are already watching history unfold because a reality TV star (I'm using star very generously here) became president based on fear, lies, more lies, flip flopping, stupidity, lies, pandering, and of course lying.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Well, we had a choice between a reality tv star and a mafia kingpin.....think we chose correctly

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

We are already watching history unfold because a reality TV star (I'm using star very generously here) became president based on fear, lies, more lies, flip flopping, stupidity, lies, pandering, and of course lying.

Just think! If Clinton had won, all you'd have to do is change that to "because a political operative" and you could've posted the exact same comment!
edit on 2-12-2016 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Precisely.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
The butt hurt runs deep with some.

Get over yourselves Trump won.

Every single time a Republican wins.

The popular vote will never be for a Republican.

The big populations states will produce a popular vote every time.

If you want to change the system...Do it.

But, you can't move the goalposts after the election.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

Perhaps Trump supporters here on ATS like the fact that, because of his money he can grab women by the *****, whenever he pleases!?!

I hope he doesn't start a nuclear war, or screw up the country like Regan, Bush and Bush JR did!!!!!! 24 years under Republicans and our unemployment always sky rockets!! Look it up! Instead of being ignorant!

link   
Get rid of the electoral vote?

Sure...

Popular vote only..... right on!!!

As long as you make a few adjustments....

Like every farmer that raise grain gets calculated on how many people his land feeds....that's how many votes he gets as opposed to a city dweller's single vote who only takes care of themselves.

Like every rancher that raises pigs, chickens, cows, sheep etc.gets calculated on how much meat his ranch produces and how many people it feeds....that's how many votes he gets as opposed to a city dweller's single vote who only takes care of themselves.

The argument that the vast majority should rule is BS when the vast majority is not producing the goods/food that this country needs to survive.

The Electoral College exists for a reason.... a damn good one.... it may not be the best and may need some tweaking..but is way more fair to the country as a whole than just the popular vote would be.
edit on R342016-12-02T16:34:55-06:00k3412Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: kurthall

Of coarse Trump said if he lost he would demand a recount!

And what did Hillary say about excepting the outcome?

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
The butt hurt runs deep with some.

Get over yourselves Trump won.

Every single time a Republican wins.

The popular vote will never be for a Republican.

The big populations states will produce a popular vote every time.

If you want to change the system...Do it.

But, you can't move the goalposts after the election.

They cant move them now, but they sure as hell are going to try........sometimes I laugh and think there is no way this can happen, then something in the back of my mind tells me to never underestimate their lust for power.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join