It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TEDtalks

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Beau Lotto Optical Illusions

This one is fantastic.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs
My all time favorite...

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: MaxTamesSiva

Wow yeah. That was really powerful. I had to restrain my impulse to turn it off.....but it turned out to be a really important "healing" effort.

thank you.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Brene Brown, "The Power of Vulnerability". Changed my life, can't tell you how much this resonated with me.

I work a lot of hours, and I love what I do, but in doing so, I lost perspective. Make time for play and family. Work hard, play hard.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I can remember a time when this thread would have blown up with members of eager and curious minds wanting to gobble these up.

Now it feels like if it isn't a sound bite of a minute or less and doesn't contain some kind of anger or negativity it isn't worth anyone's time.

Thank you so much OP for creating this thread and thanks also to the other members that have made some great contributions as well.

I have enjoyed the TEDS myself over time, but you folks have presented some new ones for me. Great to know I can now be busy for a little while expanding my mind around here with some actual worthwhile things again.

edit on 12/3/16 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
i love tedtalks. there is one thought experiment that stuck with me that this lady did in one her talks. I wish i could find the ted talk but i dont quite remember the title.

anyway it was about awareness

it went something along the lines of her basically having the audience look around and focus on everything blue in the room...she then asked for people to recall how many "red" things they saw in the room. which they could not do obviously because they were only focused on the "blue" items...

its cool because it shows how shifting your awareness brings things you usually dont notice to light. how to change your reality by what you focus on.
good stuff
edit on 3-12-2016 by dreamlotus1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

The Sam Berns one makes my eyes tear up.

Really? Tear up? I'm still wiping up damp mascara and snot.
(Nice image for you, there).

That was a fantastic talk, I've never heard it before. He's a great speaker, very engaging and likeable. He's right in that we all have to play the hand we're dealt, but it is our choice where we decide to focus our attention. Not ignore the stuff we would rather ignore, or pretend things aren't as they are but rather make a deliberate choice about the amount of energy we designate to each area. In short, we have agency in our lives and should exercise it.

I loved his other point about surrounding yourself with people you like - pretty obvious when he spells it out, but so true. It's good to be reminded every now and then.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Good to see you Beany

I can't say much more because everything you wrote there is highly agreeable.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

It's good to see you too! I've been busy for a while, but I missed you all so much -and some of you very, very much - that I decided to surround myself with people I like again.

Which is a lovely bit of synchronicity in this strange old world.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

I feel like this...

...when I see you back on the boards.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Moon moon!! Where you been? We been worried about you!!!!

Thanks you guys, for tossing me a lifeline.

And seeing my distress flare.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Thank you

It's been an enjoyable, friendly thread.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

(and P.S. these two avatars we are using look great aligned together.)
edit on 12/3/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

edit on 12/3/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: exhaustion

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
This one is fantastic. I'm not done with it yet, but wanted to link it for everyone.....

How To Speak Up For Yourself

(if you know how to embed, please do so!)

It is specifically about how people have a "spectrum" of behavior on which they can rely to be able to safely speak.
A fantastic talk explaining how one's circumstances determine the narrowness or width of the boundaries in which they have any "say" at all.

**not done viewing it yet, but:
There has to be a middle ground**

On average, women make less ambitions offers and get worse outcomes than men at the bargaining table. But Hannah Riley Bowles and Emily Amanatullah have discovered there's one situation where women get the same outcomes as men and are just as ambitious. That's when they advocate for others.

When they advocate for others, they discover their own range and expand it in their own mind. They become more assertive. This is sometimes called "the mama bear effect." Like a mama bear defending her cubs, when we advocate for others, we can discover our own voice.

But sometimes, we have to advocate for ourselves. How do we do that? One of the most important tools we have to advocate for ourselves is something called perspective-taking. And perspective-taking is really simple: it's simply looking at the world through the eyes of another person. It's
one of the most important tools we have to expand our range. When I take your perspective,
and I think about what you really want,
you're more likely to give me what I really want.

Validate others. Let them know that you hear their complaints.
Try to calm their fears. Be respectful of their fears.

LISTEN TO EACH OTHER.

edit on 12.4.2016 by Kandinsky because: Embedded video

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Yeah, kudos to TED (whoever he is, that's a joke) for that healthy dose of self-critism. Here's something interesting:

Ground rules: Don't persuade, defend or interrupt. Be curious; be conversational; be real. And listen. Share some of your life experiences with me. What issues deeply concern you? And what have you always wanted to ask someone from the other side?

To quote Rumi again:
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,
there is a field. I'll meet you there.

When the soul lies down in that grass,
the world is too full to talk about.
Ideas, language, even the phrase "each other" doesn't make any sense.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Just to add to the ongoing list…

Here’s 2 of my fav Ted talks…

Awesome perspectives…IMO…

- JC

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Joecroft

Rupert Sheldrake! Awesome!

Hey, have you heard of Chris Carter, who wrote a 'triology' on paranormal stuff?

Thanks for the links.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: MaxTamesSiva

Lesser is one of my very favorite philosophers and teachers.

The Omega Institute is important in my spiritual history, and her books are fantastic reading.
Thanks.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by BuzzyWiggs
Rupert Sheldrake! Awesome!

Hey, have you heard of Chris Carter, who wrote a 'triology' on paranormal stuff?

Thanks for the links.

No…I’ve never heard of Christ carter…

Although I have been drawn more to the paranormal lately…partly from listening to some recent shows on coast to coast AM…

Thanks for the info…

- JC

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join