It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Cosmic Rays, especially X-Rays, The Solar System is Receiving Have been Increasing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Despite claims from some people that there is no evidence that the Earth is receiving more energy from either the Sun, or from other sources outside of the Earth which could explain why the Earth's climate is changing. In fact there is evidence that the Earth is receiving more energy, not only from the sun even at a time when it's activity is not as high. There is als an unknown source which is sending high energetic X-Rays to our Solar System. This increase in X-Rays and other cosmic rays can cause changes in the climate and can cause warming on Earth's atmosphere.

Here is an image from the website "www.spaceweather.com" showing the increase in cosmic rays for the past year.

spaceweather.com...

But what's more, this increase in cosmic rays didn't just occur for the last year.

As a matter of fact, already in November 2008 NASA was reporting that the surplus of cosmic radiation the Earth "was" receiving was a whooping 300-800 billion electron volts. Since 2008 the increase in these cosmic rays the solar system is receiving has continued to increase.

Steve Cole
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-0918
stephen.e.cole@nasa.gov

Nov. 19, 2008

RELEASE : 08-301

Mysterious Source of High-Energy Cosmic Radiation Discovered

WASHINGTON -- Scientists announced Wednesday the discovery of a previously unidentified nearby source of high-energy cosmic rays. The finding was made with a NASA-funded balloon-borne instrument high over Antarctica.

Researchers from the Advanced Thin Ionization Calorimeter (ATIC) collaboration, led by scientists at Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, published the results in the Nov. 20 issue of the journal Nature. The new results show an unexpected surplus of cosmic ray electrons at very high energy -- 300-800 billion electron volts -- that must come from a previously unidentified source or from the annihilation of very exotic theoretical particles used to explain dark matter.

"This electron excess cannot be explained by the standard model of cosmic ray origin," said John P. Wefel, ATIC project principal investigator and a professor at Louisiana State. "There must be another source relatively near us that is producing these additional particles."

www.nasa.gov...

To show this increase in cosmic rays we are receiving didn't just happen for a year, and has continued to increase here are two links to cosmic ray observatories.

The first one is from the Mexico city Cosmic Ray Observatory.

The parameters I put to generate the graph was "from December 1990 until December 2016". 1990 is the farthest back the Cosmic Ray Observatory of Mexico goes. I also selected 1 day resolution, otherwise there would be too much data and it won't generate the graph. The type of data has been corrected for pressure.

www.cosmicrays.unam.mx...

The second link is from the Oulu Cosmic Ray station.

To compare this result with the one in Mexico I also chose the query from December 1990 until December 2016.

You have to put a check on the "generate chart", and leave it on "automated choice" for resolution.

cosmicrays.oulu.fi

Now, we also have to take into consideration the fact that the Earth's magnetic field strength has been weakening which worsens the effects on Earth of the increase energy reaching the solar system.

In September 2016 it was also discovered that the mysterious source that is sending X-rays our way is sending more x-rays than both the Sun and the Local Bubble. in fact the Sun and the Local Bubble are sending 1/4 of the x-rays we are receiving, and this mysterious source is sending 3/4 of the x-rays we are receiving.

NASA-Funded Sounding Rocket Solves One Cosmic Mystery, Reveals Another

Since at least 2008, the Earth started receiving a surplus of 300-800 billion electron volts, which is still increasing, but this increase energy is somehow not the cause of the ongoing climate change the Earth has been experiencing?...

edit on 2-12-2016 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   
What could the mysterious source of X-rays be?

Can these rays come from other sources besides stars?

Also I am not sure if I fully comprehended but are they saying the mysterious source started hitting us somewhat recently? Or has it been active all along?

If this started up recently I can't help but let my mind wander to thoughts of some incoming rouge star, or incoming extraterrestrial civilization onboard a massive mother ship.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK

We know what it's from actually. It's typical of the Sun going into a solar minimum cycle. When the Sun goes into a solar minimum, there are far fewer sunspots, which lowers the Sun's electro-magnetic shield. Normally cosmic radiation is held at bay by this shield, but as it wanes, the shield allows more radiation to filter through to the Earth's magnetosphere.

Can these rays come from other sources besides stars?

Not really.

Also I am not sure if I fully comprehended but are they saying the mysterious source started hitting us somewhat recently? Or has it been active all along?

It's not mysterious at all, see above.

If this started up recently I can't help but let my mind wander to thoughts of some incoming rouge star, or incoming extraterrestrial civilization onboard a massive mother ship.

Let's not get carried away now.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I have a very limited understanding of x rays, does x rays heat?

I know they ionize atoms, but in my understanding heat comes from motion, a molecule needs to have bonds capable of absorbing the radiation to get exited and vibrate, x ray wavelength is too small so it get absorbed by electrons, it generates light.

So real honest question, does x ray melt ice?

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   
DISCLAIMER TO ALPHABETAONE: I AM NOT A SCIENTIST, AND DO NOT CLAIM TO BE. THE OPINION EXPRESSED HERE IS AN OPINION/SEMI EDUCATED GUESS. . . . . . I don't think there is an increase in the amount of energy coming our way, but rather we are RECEIVING more of these energies, because the Earth's EM field has weakend, - I would think because the magnetic poles are in the process of shifting.
Once the transition is complete, I imagine (and hope) our planetary EM field will balance back out.

750,000 years ago (or there abouts) Antarctica was on the equator, and if you think about how the southern Arctic ice cap is quickly melting on one hand and refreezing just as quickly on the other (if I'm not mistaken) to my layman's mind, that phenomenon would lend credence to a polar shift.

Cool OP.

edit on 2-12-2016 by 191stMIDET because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-12-2016 by 191stMIDET because: Alphabetaone is rude.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

I know they ionize atoms, but in my understanding heat comes from motion, a molecule needs to have bonds capable of absorbing the radiation to get exited and vibrate, x ray wavelength is too small so it get absorbed by electrons, it generates light.

Well, x-rays are nothing more thana directed stream of electrons. Whenever that stream reaches its target, maybe 1-3% of the resulting energy are x-rays, the rest of the energy is released as heat, so depending on the stream, in theory it could melt ice.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: alphabetaone

We know what it's from actually. It's typical of the Sun going into a solar minimum cycle. When the Sun goes into a solar minimum, there are far fewer sunspots, which lowers the Sun's electro-magnetic shield. Normally cosmic radiation is held at bay by this shield, but as it wanes, the shield allows more radiation to filter through to the Earth's magnetosphere.

I was under the impression that according to the OP, some of these rays are coming from a source separate from the sun.

From the OP:

In September 2016 it was also discovered that the mysterious source that is sending X-rays our way is sending more x-rays than both the Sun and the Local Bubble. in fact the Sun and the Local Bubble are sending 1/4 of the x-rays we are receiving, and this mysterious source is sending 3/4 of the x-rays we are receiving

Am I not understanding or do you just not agree with the OP?

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: 191stMIDET
I don't think there is an increase in the amount of energy coming our way but rather we are RECEIVING more of these energies because the Earth's Electromagnetic field has weakened (probably temporarily, HOPEFULLY 😐) because the magnetic poles are in the process of shifting. Once the transition is complete I imagine our planetary EM field will balance back out.

Actually, you would be wrong. the amount of Cosmic radiation is, in fact, increasing for the very reason I've outlined above to another poster. This solar minimum is the weakest we've had in the last 5 years. Due to that, the Sun's own magnetic shield is unable to throttle those cosmic rays as effectively as it normally does.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   
They were talking about this increase in cosmic rays for a while now but it seems you are linking some new conclusions as to why it may be happening. Good info. I suppose it is just a theory and it will be modified as they learn more. We are supposed to be getting more debris from out of the solar system too, tiny pieces that will cause more streaks in the sky. I wonder if those two different events are related in any way. Nobody seems to say if they could be.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

I could always be wrong, but imo the source has to be linked to the new region of the Local Bubble the solar system is entering. We will be completely within this new region in 100 years give or take.

www.sciencedaily.com...

The thing is, the solar system seems to have been encountering small cloudlets from this new region of the Local Bubble.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: alphabetaone

I'm sorry but... Electrons? So you say x ray has mass now... Can't trust what you say.

Good night people

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Am I not understanding or do you just not agree with the OP?

Nope, you understood it properly. I was in a way doing 2 things, bringing more clarity (in a non sensationalistic way). But you're right too, I don't necessarily agree that there is some mysterious source sending 3/4 of the cosmic radiation towards Earth that cant be accounted for.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   

I'm sorry but... Electrons? So you say x ray has mass now... Can't trust what you say.

Good night people

Perhaps it's time for you to open a book before hitting the sheets, just a suggestion. Here let me help

X-rays can also be produced by a synchrotron, a type of particle accelerator that causes charged particles to move in a closed, circular path. When high-speed electrons are forced to move in a circular path by a magnetic field, the angular acceleration causes the particles to emit photons. If the energy is great enough, the electrons will emit X-rays

and

X-rays are produced when electrons strike a metal target

Just some food for thought.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Food for thought. X rays travel at the speed of light, if you trust e=mc^2 then x rays cannot have mass, x ray are photons...

If you don't know the most basic crap you should not be explaining things.

A hit of an electron generates the x ray photons, the electrons are not the x ray, open a book and actually read...

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Maybe, but the real culprit for heating up the globe I would think are Gamma rays and microwaves but then I'm not a scientist.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Our galaxy and solar system constantly spirals around the axis. So it's not unimaginable that we encounter new things not seen before.

It's so big out there, we're a dust speck in the room..

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Food for thought. X rays travel at the speed of light, if you trust e=mc^2 then x rays cannot have mass, x ray are photons...

If you don't know the most basic crap you should not be explaining things.

A hit of an electron generates the x ray photons, the electrons are not the x ray, open a book and actually read...

I have a suggestion for you, go find out what x-rays truly are, stop baiting people (especially when youre ignorant on the subject) and after you've found that verifiable source, come back and quote and source it.

Not to mention, if you know how to read in context, what I said was that a directed stream of electrons hitting a target ...

But here, all in an effort to not prevent you from getting the obvious sleep that you need:

X-rays are produced when accelerated electrons collide with the target

If you want to argue this further, take it up with Stanford

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Read what you said and think if it makes any sence, really man. Is anything of what you are saying addressing my question, does x rays heat? I don't need to find out what x rays are, I know they are high energy photons, with really tiny wavelength.

Do you think electrons are traveling through space and generating the radiation locally? Really really think, comprehend what you say, realize that the formation of the x ray has no relation what so ever with my question.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: alphabetaone

originally posted by: 191stMIDET
I don't think there is an increase in the amount of energy coming our way but rather we are RECEIVING more of these energies because the Earth's Electromagnetic field has weakened (probably temporarily, HOPEFULLY 😐) because the magnetic poles are in the process of shifting. Once the transition is complete I imagine our planetary EM field will balance back out.

Actually, you would be wrong. the amount of Cosmic radiation is, in fact, increasing for the very reason I've outlined above to another poster. This solar minimum is the weakest we've had in the last 5 years. Due to that, the Sun's own magnetic shield is unable to throttle those cosmic rays as effectively as it normally does.

"Actually you would be wrong"? Ok, kind of gruff. If we are receiving more cosmic rays because the SUN'S Magnetic shield has weakend then there are NOT "MORE" of these energies, but rather, WE ARE RECEIVING MORE OF THEM, yeah? Also the Earth's magnetic field HAS weakend, so maybe ease up a little but there.

This is about the sharing of information so we all have a better understanding of our world, not comparing the size of our Dic. . . .er, Egos.✌

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Read what you said and think if it makes any sence, really man. Is anything of what you are saying addressing my question, does x rays heat? I don't need to find out what x rays are, I know they are high energy photons, with really tiny wavelength.

Do you think electrons are traveling through space and generating the radiation locally? Really really think, comprehend what you say, realize that the formation of the x ray has no relation what so ever with my question.

I think Alphabetaone is having a bad day . . . . or maybe he/she is just an A-hole, hard to say.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join