It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan wants to sell 100 Million galls water to Nestle for $200 Nestle--Privatize Water-Water not

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: rickymouse

The free market will take care of this. Oh no it won't.

There seems to be a few ways to take care of this.

Treat it like oil, pay the residents of Michigan for the water-it is more expensive than oil and cheaper to get.

Crank up the cost per million.

Regulations are bad though, right. We should take off all regs and trust the corps that the supreme court says are people. Profit is it, the next quarter is the only numbers that matter, and they better be increasing.

I think they should pay the same rate for the water that residents pay. After all, depleting the reserves means the county will have to find a new supply quicker and that is expensive and sometimes impossible to do. They can meter their usage and give the state a penny or two a gallon for the water, that amount will help the state pay for problems later on.

That should also be done with mining companies, the mines should be putting money into a state fund to cover problems that occur later. Fracking should have the same fund payments. That is a no brainer, but the state must start a special fund and not tap into it for other programs.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I wish I could have voted for you....

If the state were to even ask for a penny a gallon Nestle would act like they were being killed. But you are 100% correct. If they want to use the water, pay for it. I can't understand why they would expect the water essentially free.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   
They sell the water, it is not like they are drinking it, they don't have more rights than the citizens that live in that area.

Their company's execs are using Ad Hominum tactics to bully the local and state officials who oversee this. I am good at recognizing these tactics, if they were trying to BS me I would just tell them that they need to go back to school and learn that some people cannot be BSed. That little bit of money won't hurt their company, all companies that bottle water can pay that penny for gallon to level the playing field throughout the USA and even Canada should do that too.

It just adds a quarter of a penny to a bottle of water, a penny and a half to a gallon jug. Our politicians and regulating people need to get some balls.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose
a reply to: seasonal

Water is a necessity for life and should not be sold.

What about food?

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

We have a snap program (think food stamps) to give people help when they can't afford it. Is this a right, you tell me.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I'll just leave this here.

I really couldn't say it better.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Nestle just wants to privatize water, you will have plenty of access they promise.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: jrod

Tell the Tampa City Utilities that "water is a human right", as they shut your water off. Go picket out there in protest at their payment center. Expect to show your papers if you do!

I remember when there was no such thing as a water bill.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Junkheap

Still no water bill....until the well pump impeller breaks, then hold on $1000's of $.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I'm curious to know if someone drinks nestle product in that area, if they got sick, could they then sue nestle for some wild amount because they are knowingly pulling water from a contaminated area?

I mean, wtf is wrong with this picture and why haven't the local public erupted in torches and pitchforks at their governmental structures to publicly beat these idiotic officials?

" Deeper section than the contaminated lead waters " MY ARSE!

This is what end times look like, nothing biblical about it, just all stupidity.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Tranceopticalinclined

I'm sure there could be civil litigation, and maybe has? I would think it would have a gag order attached when the cash is thrown at the plaintiff.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Diamonds are free, they're just laying in the ground. Gold is too. Where's the ethics with extracting and selling them?

Not just diamonds, but other precious gems and metals are extracted from areas where the human cost is deplorable.

There have been a movie or documentary or two, made about the nightmare of the extraction of gas, oils, and minerals from our planet, but since most of us are content with the life we live, knowledge of the horrors have very little impact on our consumption.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn
Corps love isolated spots on the globe that has untapped natural resourses. No internet great, no infrastructure good, large population of uneducated poor (slave workers), awesome.

That means this place is ripe for exploitation.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
Not just diamonds, but other precious gems and metals are extracted from areas where the human cost is deplorable.

There have been a movie or documentary or two, made about the nightmare of the extraction of gas, oils, and minerals from our planet, but since most of us are content with the life we live, knowledge of the horrors have very little impact on our consumption.

It's not an easy thing to fix sadly. All resources and materials we use to live, whether it's a high tech lifestyle or subsistence lifestyle has to be either mined or grown.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Yeah you just have to pay for it.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: 3danimator2014

We have a snap program (think food stamps) to give people help when they can't afford it. Is this a right, you tell me.

I think no one should go thirsty or hungry. Thats my thinking. I havent read the details of the case to give an opinion im afraid.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   
What I don't think people get is nestle is the waterm supplier for the area. Residents are supplied water by a company that nestle owns. The water is from pumps they paid for and they have the right to expand wells on there property.

So saying there getting it for free is stupid since they have to pay for the wells and the electricity to run them. But let's say they were charged the same amount as everyone else it's there company charging them. All you would see is a transfer of money from one of there companies to another.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: Puppylove

I agree and to anyone who lives in an urban area trying to go against those norms are met with extreme resistance.

I keep telling myself, few more years. Can't wait to invade MichiganSwampBucks neck of the woods!!!

Stop on by. We can mess with the campers and weekenders while we drink well water and eat venison.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Stop on by. We can mess with the campers and weekenders while we drink well water and eat venison.

I have drank well water over half my life. When growing up, we ate from off the land, what we raised, what the neighbors raised, and what we could catch from the river. I wouldn't change one day of it.

I still live in the country. Progress is threatening us, but it is still a few years away. I have had friends that were forced into accepting city water. They are told they don't have to hook up, but they still have to pay for the installation. When they reach me, it will be time to sell and move on. When the country becomes the city, it will be time for me to try to find some more country.

You know what they say about not being able to take the country out of the girl. Well it is sure enough true about me.

edit on 2-12-2016 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

May have to take you up on that sometime.

We have 3 generations into a spot of the Manistee out there off of 19 Mile. Not far from the horse campers!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join