It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shove the happy holiday...... Christmas is back.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
It goes both ways.

Who would be offended by someone saying Merry Christmas?
Who would be offended by someone saying Happy Holidays?

They're both true. It's December, we have Christmas, Hanukkah, New Years and all the End of year festivities, like end of year office parties and what not. There's also Winter Solstice, Kwanzaa, Boxing Day, Pancha Ganapati, Yule, and a few other ones.

Pancha Ganapati is a modern five-day Hindu festival celebrated from December 21 through 25 in honor of Lord Ganesha, Patron of Arts and Guardian of Culture. The festival was created in 1985 as a Hindu alternative to December holidays like Christmas by Sivaya Subramuniyaswami (born Robert Hansen), a Western convert to Hinduism who founded the magazine Hinduism Today and the Saiva Siddhanta Church, headquartered in Hawaii; the festival is uncommon among traditional South Asian Hindus.[1]

So its a Hindu Christmas that real Hindus dont celebrate or even acknowledge.

Despite all this talk about all these other religious holidays that fall in December they all seem to be very Christmassy

I get sick of all the Social Justice Warriors out to label me as fighting a war on Christmas. I'm sorry that Happy Holidays "Triggers" them and they need a safe place to go. I get tired of all of those special snow flakes. When I was growing up, we didn't get outraged and upset at things like that. We had more fortitude and mental toughness, I guess?

Christmas is incidental to the real issue for me, the real issue is censorship of a harmless greeting for fear of offence.
Its ironic you say those rebelling against the term "happy holidays" are the snowflakes, Merry Christmas was stopped due to the snowflakes having an issue with it.
Me wanting Merry Christmas back is an FU to the snowflakes not me being snowflakey

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Nice sweater you have there.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

Tell you what. I'll start saying Merry Christmas when you treat it as a solemn religious holiday in prayer and celebration of Jesus rather than an excuse for mindless consumerism.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: buckwhizzle
a reply to: IAMTAT

Nice sweater you have there.

TY...I think it brings out the color in my eyes.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Tell you what. I'll start saying Merry Christmas when you treat it as a solemn religious holiday in prayer and celebration of Jesus rather than an excuse for mindless consumerism.

Tell you what, you call it what you like and Ill continue not believing in Jesus as a god and treating Christmas as the only time of the year I get to see all my family in the one place at the one time.

Christmas to me has nothing to do with god or presents

Merry Christmas to you and yours

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff
No, theres 2 Holidays and 1 of those holidays apply to 1 in 50 people in the US.

There you go. it effects 1 in 50 people negatively, and a lot more agnostics/atheists/others than 1 in 50.

Nobody is censoring you..say whatever the hell you want to say. scream it loud from your rooftops...who gives a rats ass.

and no, sears wont be changing its policy to cater to the majority religious desires. Go complain to the UN. Sears will say happy holidays in order to make that 1 in 50, or 10 in 50 if you want to add in the atheists/agnostics, others feel comfortable and not excluded and pushed.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Anything you can walk away from (at the end of the day) with a smile.

Shouldn't that be any day, not just during holidays?

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I saw on the news there is an elementary school somewhere that is prohibiting Santa Claus because it is insensitive to the views of some of the children.

I want to know when it became ok to be insensitive to the children who like Santa Claus... Can someone please tell me how one insensitivity is better than the other?

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: Raggedyman

originally posted by: Nyiah

I don't care if it offends crybabies, I personally like Happy Holidays a lot more. And it drives the snowflakes absolutely nuts. That right there is reason enough to make a habit of saying it

But
But
But
I thought it was the snowflakes who started the Happy Holidays thing

Who are the real snowflakes? Us or them? Its very confusing
Why can we just enjoy a few days off and each others differences without acting like a bunch of childish children Always complaining that others say something different do something different and starting fights over nothing really.

Ignore them and have a happy holiday/christmas/whatever season anyway, with booze if it suits you

And without offending "you have a Christmas/ holiday//whatever "
Because saying have a happy could cause offense to some if they are depressed, no doubt

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Christmas is about Jesus. It is a Christian holiday. A random celebration with family on the same day is not Christmas, in any way other than it being an easy marketing term to sell to people.

The real war on Christmas isn't in the name, it's in the spirit of the holiday. It's barely about family anymore, it's about spending money... family only enters the picture because they need to be present to exchange gifts.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

No, theres 2 Holidays and 1 of those holidays apply to 1 in 50 people in the US.

There you go. it effects 1 in 50 people negatively, and a lot more agnostics/atheists/others than 1 in 50.

Nobody is censoring you..say whatever the hell you want to say. scream it loud from your rooftops...who gives a rats ass.

and no, sears wont be changing its policy to cater to the majority religious desires. Go complain to the UN. Sears will say happy holidays in order to make that 1 in 50, or 10 in 50 if you want to add in the atheists/agnostics, others feel comfortable and not excluded and pushed.

Well call me crazy but I would have thought saying Merry Christmas to someone who wasnt Christian would be considered inclusive rather than exclusionary.
Again if a Jew says happy Hanukkah or a Muslim says happy Eid el fitr would that be considered pushing or demonstrate people being excluded?

Including people of other faiths in your religious celebrations is the exact opposite of exclusion.
Isnt that what multi-culturalism is all about, sharing the good parts of your faith or culture with others?

Anyone who considers a greeting from anyone of any faith as a negative needs to get a grip and fast
edit on 1/12/2016 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/12/2016 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Well call me crazy but I would have thought saying Merry Christmas to someone who wasnt Christian would be considered inclusive rather than exclusionary.

Its only inclusive if you use its original title: "Happy Jesus is your lord and savior and to deny him means you will burn forever in the hellfires with all the other heathens, atheists, adulterers, murders, thieves, and those with sin day"

Its a bit long on the tongue, but its far more heart warming...really shows you they care.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Its only inclusive if you use its original title: "Happy Jesus is your lord and savior and to deny him means you will burn forever in the hellfires with all the other heathens, atheists, adulterers, murders, thieves, and those with sin day"

Its a bit long on the tongue, but its far more heart warming...really shows you they care.

Ahhh
Sincere apologies, I thought we were having a genuine discussion but youre just trolling for lulz
Carry on and Merry Christmas

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Except its a pagan celebration that the Catholic church adopted
I am not a pagan or catholic
Whats the fuss, cant you enjoy it
As a christian I can enjoy the pagan festivities mixed in with Romes pagan beliefs with a drop of christianity, its not a problem to me, why are you so hurt by it?

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Happy holiday isn't new, only the faux offense is. Like nobody has ever heard this song before (composed in 1942):

Or this version, if you prefer:

It's all really, really ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Reminder!!!

This being the Christmas Season and all....let's keep this thread civil....and respectful to all beliefs and politics......You are responsible for your own posts.

Community Announcement re: Decorum

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Here...I will give you my scenario that really pisses me off. I am divorced and remarried as is my ex now. We have a 10 year old daughter together and my ex has only been married one year. She has celebrated Christmas every year of her life and it is a super exciting time of year for her. Well..fast forward to last year. My ex got married and had a baby with a Muslim. He does not celebrate Christmas and because they have a son is not allowing it to be celebrated in their house because he does not want his son growing up with that. My ex seems to just bow down to him and tells my daughter not to tell me. Well....she tells me most everything because a LOT has changed there.

Anywho....how is that for a VERY direct religious conflict that only hurts one child in the mix. Nice right. Yeah....I don't think very highly of him at all....and even less of my ex now.

What is REALLY funny is that she wants to have our daughter every Eid holiday. How the hell does that even make sense? Talk about brain washed and downtrodden as a woman. Sad Sad Sad.

Guess it is too much to ask to celebrate both in a household where one is intolerant.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I don't know, I've thought about this a lot. I'm pretty sure that if I had a child I wouldn't do the whole Santa or present thing with them either. A family get together is ok, but I wouldn't do presents. The only thing that makes me second guess it, is that mindless vapid consumerism runs rampant this time of year, and a child isn't going to understand why they aren't getting presents while probably every other kid they go to school with is.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Israeli MP publicly breaks new covenant
happy hanukkah
edit on 1/12/16 by mangust69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

That is a tough situation. It seems that finding a happy holiday compromise is not even allowed where your ex and her Muslim husband is concerned. Is your ex wife afraid to stand up to her new husband?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join