It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump picks "Mad Dog" Mattis for Secretary of Defense

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

My brother did two tours in Afghanistan in Spec Ops, my best friend did almost 3 years there as a sniper and I consulted there not in a direct combat role. I never met Mattis, and neither did my brother or brother from another mother..but his reputation from Afghanistan is mixed at best. He had strong critics from many that served under him. We will see how this rolls over the next few months:

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: Annee

How so?

The purpose of the military is to kill people and break stuff.

We were never in the business of making people feel good.

Actually the purpose of the military is to uphold & defend the Constitution and provide for the common defense, under the complete discretion of Congress (i.e. the people). Its in Article 1 Section 8.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
For all of you who are forgetting exactly what the role of Defense Secretary is, according to US Code Title 10 Section 113.

(a) There is a Secretary of Defense, who is the head of the Department of Defense, appointed from civilian life by the President, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate. A person may not be appointed as Secretary of Defense within seven years after relief from active duty as a commissioned officer of a regular component of an armed force.

(b) The Secretary is the principal assistant to the President in all matters relating to the Department of Defense. Subject to the direction of the President and to this title and section 2 of the National Security Act of 1947 (50 U.S.C. 3002) he has authority, direction, and control over the Department of Defense.

(c) (1) The Secretary shall report annually in writing to the President and the Congress on the expenditures, work, and accomplishments of the Department of Defense during the period covered by the report, together with—
(A) a report from each military department on the expenditures, work, and accomplishments of that department;
(B) itemized statements showing the savings of public funds, and the eliminations of unnecessary duplications, made under sections 125 and 191 of this title; and
(C) such recommendations as he considers appropriate.
(2) At the same time that the Secretary submits the annual report under paragraph (1), the Secretary shall transmit to the President and Congress a separate report from the Reserve Forces Policy Board on any reserve component matter that the Reserve Forces Policy Board considers appropriate to include in the report.

(d) Unless specifically prohibited by law, the Secretary may, without being relieved of his responsibility, perform any of his functions or duties, or exercise any of his powers through, or with the aid of, such persons in, or organizations of, the Department of Defense as he may designate.

(e) (1) The Secretary shall include in his annual report to Congress under subsection (c)— (A) a description of the major military missions and of the military force structure of the United States for the next fiscal year; (B) an explanation of the relationship of those military missions to that force structure; and (C) the justification for those military missions and that force structure. (2) In preparing the matter referred to in paragraph (1), the Secretary shall take into consideration the content of the annual national security strategy report of the President under section 108 of the National Security Act of 1947 (50 U.S.C. 3043) for the fiscal year concerned.

source

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: carewemust
CNN is asking how can America make peace with Iran and North Korea with a guy named Mad Dog in charge of our military?

Dont you go out of your way to avoid a barking dog you are afraid will bite?

YEP! In a way, that's how the PRO-Mattis CNN guest responded. He said, (paraphrasing) "Donald Trump will tell Iran that if they don't work with us honestly and fairly, that he's going to turn matters over to Mad Dog Mattis, and let him fix the problem."

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle
Don't like this pick. We have enough generals in the military. We don't need a retired one in the 2nd Highest Civilian position in the Military.

I agree with Pyle. Nothing against Mattis whatsoever, but I think it should be strictly held by civilian folks. There are positions for people like Gen Mattis, but this is not one of them.

I think having a career soldier in that position inherently brings with it too much bias and naturally quite a bit of conflict of interest.

But that's just my personal opinion, and it goes in hand with the founding fathers drafting of the Constitution where they very clearly kept military and government separate.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

A good general Knows when to let soldiers die under their command. not just for stupid reasons mind you but sometimes soldiers arent meant to survive their missions. If you try to bring em all home alive you are doing it wrong.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: Aazadan

Where the Hell do you get that bunch of crap?

It's typical civthink from someone with no friends or family in service. They don't understand it so they get their info from movies and TV.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 03:06 AM
link   
He pulled a christmas guard to let a young private who had children at home spend Christmas with them. That kind of sums his attitude up.

There are people here making comments that are literally quotes from bad films to describe him. As far as secretaries of defence go, who would you rather? Someone like Rumsfeld? How about old Dick Cheney? He is probably the first in a generation that is best suited for the job.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: charolais
For all of you who are forgetting exactly what the role of Defense Secretary is, according to US Code Title 10 Section 113.

(a)..... A person may not be appointed as Secretary of Defense within seven years after relief from active duty as a commissioned officer of a regular component of an armed force. ..

www.bustle.com...

He retired 4 years ago, so the law would have to change before he was appointed.

edit on 3-12-2016 by hellobruce because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   
If this man ends up being confirmed as the pick, then it will be one of the wisest picks for Sec Def in a generation probably.

I get to thinking of him with an attitude like Jules in Pulp Fiction

or perhaps OG Conan

or how about this!

Yea, all of these fit him quite well, and suit the job.

edit on 12-3-2016 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 05:11 AM
link   

How so?

Actually the purpose of the military is to uphold & defend the Constitution and provide for the common defense, under the complete discretion of Congress (i.e. the people). Its in Article 1 Section 8.

I'm well aware of the constitutional requirements of the military.

But that doesn't describe WHAT the military DOES.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
He sounds like a good choice

He would be a great choice, if he were qualified, which he's not. His nomination is just Trump's latest manipulative ploy. You see, there's a law that the SECDEF needs to be out of uniform for seven years before assuming the office. Mattis has only been retired two years, and therefore despite having the right background and character, unqualified.

But wait! Can't Congress make an exception? That's exactly the point. Trump is a narcissist and a master of manipulation. First he got Pence, who did not cut a deal with Carrier as Governor, to engage in a little bit of crony capitalism, you know, "just this once." Now it's Congress' turn to make a teeny weeny exception for Trump, you know, "just this once."

I hope Congress doesn't fall for it.
edit on 3-12-2016 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

originally posted by: Bluntone22
He sounds like a good choice

He would be a great choice, if he were qualified, which he's not. His nomination is just Trump's latest manipulative ploy. You see, there's a law that the SECDEF needs to be out of uniform for seven years before assuming the office. Mattis has only been retired two years, and therefore despite having the right background and character, unqualified.

But wait! Can't Congress make an exception? That's exactly the point. Trump is a narcissist and a master of manipulation. First he got Pence, who did not cut a deal with Carrier as Governor, to engage in a little bit of crony capitalism, you know, "just this once." Now it's Congress' turn to make a teeny weeny exception for Trump, you know, "just this once."

I hope Congress doesn't fall for it.

"If Trump’s Carrier Deal Favors One Business Over Others, It’s Crony Capitalism, Says . . . Sarah Palin"

LOL... did you really just use Sarah Palin as a source?

LOL that has made my day.... thanks LOL
edit on R262016-12-03T09:26:31-06:00k2612Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Just Throwing this Out Here..

According to Wiki

Afghanistan War As a colonel, Mattis commanded the 7th Marine Regiment. He led the 1st Marine Expeditionary Brigade as its commanding officer upon promotion to brigadier general.

During the initial planning for the War in Afghanistan, Mattis led Task Force 58 in operations in the southern part of the country, becoming the first Marine Corps officer to ever command a Naval Task Force in combat.[10] While serving in Afghanistan as a brigadier general, he was known as an officer who engaged his men with "real leadership".

A young Marine officer named Nathaniel Fick cited an example of that leadership when he witnessed Mattis in a fighting hole talking with a sergeant and a lance corporal: "No one would have questioned Mattis if he'd slept eight hours each night in a private room, to be woken each morning by an aide who ironed his uniforms and heated his MREs. But there he was, in the middle of a freezing night, out on the lines with his Marines

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

So that's a "no" on sourcing your claim that Mattis thinks suicidal veterans are pussies, then?

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   

How so?

I'm well aware of the constitutional requirements of the military.

But that doesn't describe WHAT the military DOES.

Weird that the snarky comment came in response to your comment, rather than my "military isn't for passing out Thighmasters after a tsunami" comment. Entirely coincidental, I'm sure.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
My Grandfather : was in Pattons 3rd Army in the Pontoon Bridge Engineers Unit ...
529th Engineer Light Pontoon Company

while Pulled off to the Side of the Road in His Truck that carried Bailey bridges Pieces .. at a 4 way intersection
in the Middle of nowhere.. and there was a Traffic Jam ... as one unit going one way and the other going the other way ( criss cross )

HE witness Patton going by Pulled over in front of Him , then Stepping out of his Jeep or Tank ( one of the two) clearly Pissed off ! Swearing walked in the middle of the 4 way became a Traffic Controller like a NYC police officer directing traffic ...

got the The Traffic un-Jammed , then Told My Grandfather :

Hey You ,, Let's Go! Move that %$#$$%# NOW!! ( referring to the Truck )

well for a Tank Unit Bailey Bridges are a life saver ...

apparently the jam was cause by a traffic controlling MP being killed by a Tank that Patton Replaced
for 9 hours .. this was shown in a small scene in the 1970 movie:: Patton

so i can see this Marine General.. Mattis doing the same #

edit on 62016SaturdayfAmerica/Chicago12337 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Much like Trump, all I'll say about General Mattis is "wait and see".

i was caught up in the early hype and said "yes! Maddog!"

Then I did some research. My mind changed.

Now my "yes!" Is a solid "wait and see".

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

Everything about a Trump administration is, or should be, wait and see.

But Mattis, at least at first blush, beats the hell out of yet another Rumsfeld or Hagel or McNamara.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Patton and Mattis are good people but brutes are not creative in strategies all they know is force. To defeat guarrila armies you need a brain.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join