It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump picks "Mad Dog" Mattis for Secretary of Defense

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Steak
LOL all the Crying Liberals are wetting their panties over this one - reminds me of election night.

Is that the same as the Anti-War Hawk Hillary - - Trump supporters?

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Anti-war Hillary...

Anti-War.....

Really?

Uh, okay?

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

Anti-war Hillary...

Anti-War.....

Really?

Uh, okay?

You need to read that again.

Anti - - "War Hawk Hillary"

Some Trump supporters voted against Hillary because they felt she was a War Hawk and would start WWIII.

Yet, they're celebrating a General called "MAD DOG" - - who has made some very controversial statements.

Sounds like hypocrisy to me.

The excuses will flow like the River Nile - - or is it De-Nile?
edit on 2-12-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Sounds like you have quite a lady boner over this appointment. Soiling one's self over a President that isn't even in office is bad enough, but doing it over appointments that haven't even gone to Congress yet? Comical.

Mattis doesn't care for being called Mad Dog. And, much like CNN, you're cherry picking that one to wee yourself over and ignoring the other nicknames he's also been given.

I didn't vote for Trump, but I'm celebrating this pick. It puts somebody over the military that actually has some knowledge about the military, what it can do, what it can't, what it should, and what it shouldn't.

But that's right, you think that's regressive for some reason.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Sounds like you have quite a lady boner over this appointment. Soiling one's self over a President that isn't even in office is bad enough, but doing it over appointments that haven't even gone to Congress yet? Comical.

Mattis doesn't care for being called Mad Dog. And, much like CNN, you're cherry picking that one to wee yourself over and ignoring the other nicknames he's also been given.

I didn't vote for Trump, but I'm celebrating this pick. It puts somebody over the military that actually has some knowledge about the military, what it can do, what it can't, what it should, and what it shouldn't.

But that's right, you think that's regressive for some reason.

Honestly, I'm not really sure.

And I'm more of a Hawk, then not - so that's not it.

This particular quandary is probably more age related (I'm 70). Let's just say I've enjoyed the evolution of man and woman over the years - - from where they were in the 50's.

This just feels regressive to me. Hopefully, this general has evolved too - - it just doesn't sound like it.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
this is really odd, fussing about picking a retired general for SecDef. A general, who by all accounts was very good at his job, who holds the respect of his peers, both here and abroad.

All because of a nickname? A nickname that the guy doesn't even much care for...? Is that the jist of some of the arguments I'm hearing??

His prospective job is to prepare, or help prepare the military to wage war. That's his sole job as SecDef. I think he's going to be very good at that. The military I've talked to seem to be very high on the pick.

We shall see what the future holds.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

LOL all the Crying Liberals are wetting their panties over this one - reminds me of election night.

Thanks for proving my point, the world just became a safer place whether you like it or not.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

All because of a nickname? A nickname that the guy doesn't even much care for...? Is that the jist of some of the arguments I'm hearing??

It's not just the nickname.

He's got some very intense quotes to go along with it.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Very soon, there will be much more than just quotes.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Thanks for proving my point, the world just became a safer place whether you like it or not.

Proving your point? Ha Ha Ha Ha

You have no idea where we are headed, what decisions will be made, or what Trump will do.

None of us do. He has ZERO political history.

So, you base your opinion on what? His extreme Right Wing Billionaire (mostly) cabinet picks?

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Very soon, there will be much more than just quotes.

Go! GI Joe!

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

and?

That was his job. Or part of several jobs.

Here's a list of his commands--from most recent back to his early career.

U.S. Central Command
U.S. Joint Forces Command
Supreme Allied Commander Transformation
I Marine Expeditionary Force
U.S. Marine Forces Central Command
Marine Corps Combat Development Command
1st Marine Division
7th Marine Regiment
1st Battalion, 7th Marines

His job is make sure the marines under his command are ready to fight, and can fight, and are willing to should it be called for. Part of that job entailed speaking. He's, first and foremost, a Marine (a very, very good one, from all accounts) and in some of his quotes, he comes across as just that a marine.

He is, first and foremost, a warrior. He has fundamental differences with Trump over his dealings with Putin, yet seems to be willing to work for, and with, him. He is nothing like a yes-man.

...and yes, it is just a nickname. Study up on the man, he is an intellectual who attended the premier military schools in this country.

Intense quotes? Indeed he has. Have you bothered to look into the context of those quotes? I don't care about quotes. I care about him being able to make sure that if need be, the boys and girls that we send to war are trained properly, equipped properly, and motivated properly. Many feel, myself among 'em, that he's the right man to make sure that happens.

He's fought beside those boys and girls. He's been at the sharp end of the spear. Seen the elephant. Smelled the smoke. His marines loved him.

A personal anecdote involving the general. My sister who was a Marine met him, way back in the day when he was still a very junior officer--rumor, even then, had him going places, and so he did.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Not GI. Marine. Ask around, there's a difference. GI is army. If you're going to mock, do it properly.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

originally posted by: carewemust
CNN is asking how can America make peace with Iran and North Korea with a guy named Mad Dog in charge of our military?

He also sports the nickname Warrior Monk, among others.

CNN is cherry picking again? No way!

He sports that nickname due to the fact he has never been married or had children...>Not due to some unusual peaceful disposition.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Not GI. Marine. Ask around, there's a difference. GI is army. If you're going to mock, do it properly.

I'll take that.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Also due, in no small part, to the fact that he is also something of an intellectual.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Also due, in no small part, to the fact that he is also something of an intellectual.

That I welcome.

Only time will tell.

And, believe me - - I am no pacifist. I'm a "Get in and Getter Done, so we can go home" person.

Prolonged wars are the worst. War is devastating to infrastructure, the whole of it. Rebuilding starts the new.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Interesting here...

I examined Wiki-edits and what was edited in the past year ...as that often displays people primping a public profile in preparation for the spotlight...

I saw something that was edited out around the new year when Mattis's name was being bandied about..

As a brigadier-general deployed to Afghanistan, Mattis came under intense scrutiny from Army and Air Force units in the vicinity of his Marines when he refused to send a CASEVAC team after ODA-574, an Army Green Beret team that had come in contact with enemy and, at one point had one soldier confirmed KIA, one missing and presumed KIA, and four others expected to die, regardless of whether or not they received medical aid. Units in Uzbekistan, four times further away from ODA-574's position than Mattis's Marines, were required to send in the CASEVAC.

en.wikipedia.org...

Someone deleted it as unproven at the time, but I thought the specifics were pretty specific...

Then this just hit the wires..

Former Special Forces Officer: Gen. 'Mad Dog' Mattis Left 'My Men to Die'

On December 5, 2001, as the wreckage of the twin towers still smoldered in lower Manhattan, a team of Army Green Berets accompanying Hamid Karzai, the future president of Afghanistan, was hit by a U.S. smart bomb in a case of friendly fire.

Two American soldiers died instantly and a third was badly wounded. He would later die. Dozens of Afghans also were killed, and the CIA officer who now runs the agency's spying arm protected Karzai with his body.

Mattis, then a brigadier general commanding a nearby group of Marines, refused repeated requests to send helicopters to rescue the Green Berets, people involved in the operation tell NBC News. The helicopters under Mattis' command at Camp Rhino were about 45 minutes away, according to the book.

And, as commander, Mattis had final approval for the decision not to dispatch a rescue mission from there.

www.nbcnews.com...

Worthy of an OP to look closer...But I know on ATS any news the right doesn't want to here is nothing but troll and flame bait..

It's an interesting case all the same...

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Feel free to investigate.

I'd certainly like to know more about that...I was/am unaware of that particular incident. Maybe someone can shed some light on it.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join