It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Twitter Tirades", and Other Twaddle

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I wonder who it was who thought appending the word “rant” to the word “Twitter” would evoke anything but contradiction, let alone important news. One look at the real world proves that a man engaging in a “Twitter tirade” is indistinguishable from a man tweeting pictures of his cat. Both are expending the same amount of energy to thumb, in less than 146 characters, some pithy statement or other on his chosen device. Surely something more important is going on out there.

Perhaps people do take to twitter to rant, and a tweet is indeed some absolute statement and principle, but such information can only be verified by the one making the tweet, and not by any other measure. So it comes with no surprise that a fair bit of imagination, fantasy and projection goes into discerning intent from tweets between Twitter users.

But all of that doesn’t stop the press from reporting on a tweet as if it was something more than than what it is.

Take a recent CNN article, comically titled Chilled by Trump's tweets? You should be, as an example. The author considers Trump’s tweets about the Hamilton musical and Saturday Night Live to be an example of Trump lashing out at Americans who were exercising their free speech, adding that “[his] reaction should chill every American with its implication: A President Trump may well try to suppress speech”. Later on in the article the author assumes that the news reports—most likely CNN’s—“were apparently too much for [Trump], and he took to Twitter to make it clear that Americans should never engage in that type of expression”. All of this derived from some tweets.

Remember, this is “real” news. But observe the unmitigated fantasy in this article, evidenced by the author’s request to “think about what Trump is saying with this tweet”, or in other words, to consider the author’s psychic abilities. In reading Trump’s tweets, the author saw Trump “lash out” at Americans exercising their rights in his mind’s eye. In the crystal ball known as twitter, he saw Trump “going after” SNL, as if a cat chasing a ball of yarn. Reading perhaps a little too far between the lines, he saw in the tweets about SNL that Trump was “so outraged”, that “he called for the show to be cancelled”, that he often “stifles dissent”, “emboldening his followers in their intimidation”, resulting in anti-semitic tweets at jewish journalists, the “anti-semitic hate from self-professed Trump fans”, which will ultimately result in a chilling effect for dissenters and critics, who are no doubt in perpetual fear of...well...more tweets.

So long first amendment; so long free speech; so long freedom. All of this and not once did the author need to tear his eyes from the the twitter app on his iPad. This raises a question: Is the machinations of a paranoid and tweet-riddled mind newsworthy?

A better argument than the one found in the CNN article could be made. Chilled by Trump tweets? Then it is time to put down the f###ing device and go outside.

Thank you for reading
- LesMis
edit on 1-12-2016 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
You voted for him, didn't you?

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

No, I didn't.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

No, I didn't.

Oh, well then. I will reread your opening post with a different slant.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Don't get me wrong. I am a Trump fan. It's just that I'm not American.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Don't get me wrong. I am a Trump fan. It's just that I'm not American.

So, then I won't reread your opening post.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

It wouldn't make a difference anyways.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

It wouldn't make a difference anyways.

Not to me, that is.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Twitter is our very own version of Newspeak. Condensed, one-way transactions but with the added bonus of travelling far and fast.

Great post, btw.

I do believe, however, that people that wish to be taken seriously should probably refrain from Tweeting. It just seems so frivolous.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Not to me, that is.

It hasn't changed since the first time you read it.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

I do believe, however, that people that wish to be taken seriously should probably refrain from Tweeting. It just seems so frivolous.

Or, in the case of some politicians, hire an army of speech writers and consultants to tweet for you.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Not to me, that is.

It hasn't changed since the first time you read it.

Correct, it still remains subjective as the first time I read it.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

No, I mean the words haven't changed, and you will be reading the exact same thing.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

No, I mean the words haven't changed, and you will be reading the exact same thing.

The words do change with underlying intent.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

If you can point out where they've changed I'd be much obliged, because I made one grammatical correction, and that's about it.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
To be fair, I don't think Donald has the verbal ability to express himself in more than 146 characters. I for one don't want a twitter troll as president, but it's too late for that.

To the other part of the OP, people take a presidents words, no matter the medium, literally and seriously. As they should, concerning the nature of the office. I'm not sure if that's something we should want to move away from.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   

If you can point out where they've changed I'd be much obliged, because I made one grammatical correction, and that's about it.

What I mean is I read your opening post with the idea that you for Trump, which I suspected, so I read it with the knowledge that you are of a subjective mind concerning him. So, I then was assessing it subjectively not objectively. Isn't that what is going on...people assessing tweets or whatever subjectively depending on if one is for or against him?

By the way, he does some of his own tweeting.

varianceexplained.org...

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

To be fair, I don't think Donald has the verbal ability to express himself in more than 146 characters. I for one don't want a twitter troll as president, but it's too late for that.

To the other part of the OP, people take a presidents words, no matter the medium, literally and seriously. As they should, concerning the nature of the office. I'm not sure if that's something we should want to move away from.

Out of curiosity, why would you not want a twitter troll as president?

I don't necessarily want to discuss Trump's tweets—we can let the media concern themselves with that—but the fact that Twitter and tweets are increasingly fodder for news.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Could you provide an example of a subjective statement in what I wrote?

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

a reply to: underwerks

Out of curiosity, why would you not want a twitter troll as president?

I don't necessarily want to discuss Trump's tweets—we can let the media concern themselves with that—but the fact that Twitter and tweets are increasingly fodder for news.

Twitter trolls only outrage for attention, which is a dangerous attitude when it's the president you're talking about.

Twitter is only a thing with Donald because he makes it a thing. If he chose to have press conferences and actually talk about things that are on his mind people's reactions would reflect that. But he doesn't.

He chooses to make one line statements on social media that are open to interpretation. Then feigns outrage when they aren't interpreted the way he "says" he meant them.

Same modus operandi as his campaign for president.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join