It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Boeing T-X moving towards first flight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Boeing has successfully completed an afterburner engine run, and is hitting their test points, moving towards an end of year first flight. A second airframe was revealed, and is undergoing systems checks. They expect to fuel it for the first time in the coming weeks. The next test for the prototype includes a simulated flight, while tied down. The final check before getting board approval for first flight and FAA certification is for it to suffer several simulated systems failures. Then come taxi tests. If the schedule holds, the aircraft will fly just as the Air Force issues the final RFP.

ORLANDO, Fla. — The Boeing-Saab T-X trainer is on track to fly by the end of the year after completing afterburner engine runs last week, Boeing officials said.

Only a few more major tests remain before the plane makes its inaugural flight, said program manager Ted Torgerson during a Nov. 23 interview ahead of the Interservice/Industry Training, Simulation and Education Conference (I/ITSEC).

“We are clicking off all of our test points, we have tested around somewhere around nearly 1,200 test points on the jet on ground tests,” he said.

The next test involves putting the plane, engine running, through the motions of a flight — takeoff, climb and landing — with the aircraft tied down to the runway, Torgerson said. The company will also check how the airplane responds to simulated system failures. After that, a Boeing-Saab board will clear the aircraft for flight, and the Federal Aviation Administration will certify it. Finally, the company will conduct low-, medium- and high-speed taxi tests before flying the jet.

www.defensenews.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Is Saab responsible for the turbine assembly? Everywhere I went to look, they ask me for a sign up so I thought I ask my humble question to you, once again.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

They're building a chunk of the fuselage. In June, an Il-76 went from Norrköping to St Louis, with an overnight stop in Iceland. Based on the shape, it looks like the fuselage, aft of the cockpit, back to the tail area.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I can imagine Boeing utilizing Saabs extensive testing range. To early for EM/EW so I say structural tests.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Boeing has a pretty extensive range in Missouri for testing. From the looks of things, Boeing is building the forward fuselage, wing, tail, and aft fuselage, and SAAB is building the center fuselage. They'll ship them to St Louis for final assembly.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Once again, I excelled in nonsene, when it comes to this forum. If there is ever an electronics forum you have some dumb questions free to ask, too

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

If you go to the St Charles Airport in Missouri on Google Earth, you can find a Boeing place that has neat things there. Bits of torn down F-18, a complete F-18 and F-15, etc.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Perfect, I always liked taking things apart to see how they work, not expecting this result here but great input. If the resolution allows it

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

The resolution is pretty good. Where the F-18s are parked there are all kinds of parts laying around on the ground.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

I´ll look into this tomorrow, I want to take some time for that. It´s 22:22 here. Much appreciated. Although, I don´t expect any major discoveries, they sure learned from that sub incident .

top topics

join