It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

CNN......fake news, false news, or misleading news?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Not sure where to put this...Mods move if in wrong forum... but it is politically related.

So much has been said about fake news....

But what about false news or misleading news?

This is a prime example of misleading news to me:

Headline:

Electoral College voter: I'm getting death threats

Link:

www.cnn.com...

Quote:

Although the presidential election was won by Donald Trump on November 8, it's not official until December 19, when all 538 members of the Electoral College will come together to cast their votes.

Is the above statement true, false, fake or misleading?

It is false.

Why?

" it's not official until December 19, when all 538 members of the Electoral College will come together to cast their votes."

Is it really official on Dec 19?

Absolutely not true.

It is not official until Congress ratifies the Electoral College votes on Jan 6, 2017..

On Jan 6, 2017,,, Congress will go through the process of certifying the EC... part of this process allows for objections to be made by members of Congress if they object to any individual electoral votes or an entire states electoral votes.

IF the contested Electoral Votes are upheld in both houses, then those Electoral Votes are NOT counted,, they are nullified.

It takes 37 flipped votes to drop Trump below 270. Assuming that recounts do not change any results.

It takes 37 flipped votes to make it through Congress without a single objection to change the election process.

It would take 42 flipped votes to get Clinton to 270 without a single objection from any members of Congress.

Flipped EC Votes are very rare.

Objecting to an EC vote is just about as rare.

history.house.gov...

Objections

Since 1887, 3 U.S.C. 15 sets the method for objections to electoral votes.

During the Joint Session, Members of Congress may object to individual electoral votes or to state returns as a whole. An objection must be declared in writing and signed by at least one Representative and one Senator. In the case of an objection, the Joint Session recesses and each chamber considers the objection separately in a session which cannot last more than two hours with each Member speaking for no more than five minutes. After each house votes on whether or not to accept the objection, the Joint Session reconvenes and both chambers disclose their decisions. If they agree to the objection, the votes in question are not counted. If either chamber does not agree with the objection, the votes are counted.

Objections to the Electoral College votes were recorded in 1969 and 2005. In both cases, the House and Senate rejected the objections and the votes in question were counted.

The Irony:

In their own article, this:

He suggested people look up how the process works.

I suggest that CNN should look up how the process works as well.

Is it false news or misleading news?

At best it is misleading,,, keeping the hopes alive of those who are convinced that if they can get enough EC votes to flip on Dec, 19, 2016 that it is all over and Hillary will be Queen,,, while never mentioning that Congress can nullify the flipped votes on Jan 6, 2017.

edit on R192016-12-01T09:19:06-06:00k1912Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Triggered

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

Well, considering it is CNN that is butthurt because people didn't listen to their lies and disinformation they have put themselves in charge of who is considered to be 'fake news'.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Is the above statement true, false, fake or misleading?

All of the above.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Yep..these goverments these days..
first terrorise somebody then call them a terrorists.
Now the media got caught fabricating lies and call everyone a liers.
What next? kill everyone and call them killers?

I dont jnow either laugh or cry.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Fake news, false news, or misleading news? I pick "D" (all of the above!)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

So are we going to talk about the guy getting death threats too? You know? What MOST of the article is about? Is that fake news or are we only focusing on that singular case of poor journalistic research that makes up a small portion of the content in the article?

Does the poorly researched aside that you are griping about mean that CNN is suddenly lying about this guy getting death threats?
edit on 1-12-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
CNN lies about most everything, and the Obama white house pays CNN money to have editorial control over much of what they release as news. The green screen BS and interviewing a CNN camera man on election night as a Trump protester is enough all by itself to ban CNN as a fake and false news site just like Sorcha Fal.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

So what you are saying is that CNN is lying about this guy getting death threats then?

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You can talk about whatever you want. You can spend all your time on the internet telling us how great CNN and liberals are. But most of us live in reality where we know neither of those things are true. The reality is CNN lies and liberals are society's outcasts and losers. But I doubt anyone cares that you waste your life trying to change the rules of nature.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

So what you are saying is that CNN is lying about this guy getting death threats then?

I'm saying anything they put out should be questioned.

And rechecked using other sources.

We have seen the violent response that Hillary supporters have embraced since she lost, so death threats to EC voters isn't a big stretch. That could easily be true, but should be checked not using CNN as a source. CNN has no credibility whatsoever. Zero.
edit on 1-12-2016 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: AlphaIron

Where did I say CNN was great? I just asked a bunch of questions about the ACTUAL content of the article that was being ignored for one small piece from it. So do tell. What are you talking about? Are you sure you are talking to the right person?

PS: Calling liberals losers? What are you five? Are you not capable of having a big boy conversation or something?

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

And rechecked using other sources.

Which sources do you deem acceptable to be trusted on first glance then?

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Where did I say CNN was great? I just asked a bunch of questions about the ACTUAL content of the article that was being ignored for one small piece from it. So do tell. What are you talking about? Are you sure you are talking to the right person?

PS: Calling liberals losers? What are you five? Are you not capable of having a big boy conversation or something?

There's nothing to talk about. All you do is talk. But like the bum on the corner claiming the world is ending nobody is listening. You've been tuned out because we know the reality. That CNN is fake news and liberals are society's outcasts and losers. You keep preaching Armageddon and we'll keep walking right on by.
edit on 1-12-2016 by AlphaIron because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlphaIron
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You can talk about whatever you want. You can spend all your time on the internet telling us how great CNN and liberals are. But most of us live in reality where we know neither of those things are true. The reality is CNN lies and liberals are society's outcasts and losers. But I doubt anyone cares that you waste your life trying to change the rules of nature.

For what it's worth Alphalron, I've "known" Krazysh0t" thru his postings for a few years now.

He has his political leanings which he is entitled to, but I've always found his posts to be reasonable, intelligent & open-minded.

I might disagree vehemently with what he says, but I respect his opinion.

Just my $0.02...

And Krazysh0t - please send cash this time - your check bounced last time.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

All I do is talk in a discussion forum? You don't say... Got any other gems of wisdom for me oh wise one?

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I'm pretty much done with the major news outlets. CNN in particular. And I was done with FOX long ago.

But CNN's obsession with Trump is pathological. And today I heard an exchange between Wolf Blitzer and Arwa Damon that really struck me. Blitzer was interviewing the international correspondents - as if that wasn't silly enough, to interview the reporters.
But he asked Arwa Damon about a non-profit she has just launched to assist refugee children. He asked her what inspired her to do this. Her reply bothered me. It wasn't that so many children are suffering or anything like that. Her reply was that all of the reporting hasn't changed anything over there.

Is that really what reporting is supposed to do? When did the purpose of reporting turn toward purposely trying to impact people or policies?

Sure, that may be an outcome, but when did it become the goal? And who decides what goal is to be accomplished? Whose agenda? It's creepy.

MSM needs to get back to facts. So, is it fake? Maybe, in the sense that it is being used to shape our culture and direction.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
As a former long time loyal CNN reader a few years ago i noticed that what they were reporting was not what was happening in reality.

They were making up false narratives and flat out lying.

CNN is nothing but pure propaganda today.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

So are we going to talk about the guy getting death threats too? You know? What MOST of the article is about? Is that fake news or are we only focusing on that singular case of poor journalistic research that makes up a small portion of the content in the article?

Does the poorly researched aside that you are griping about mean that CNN is suddenly lying about this guy getting death threats?

THIS THREAD WAS NEVER ABOUT THE DEATH THREATS.

Look man... the topic is about whether the Dec 19 EC vote is the official tally of the EC vote.

It clearly is not.

You are deflecting by trying to talk about the death threats.

Fine talk about them.

42 votes get flipped on Dec 19.... Media reports on Dec 20 of multiple death threats that caused some EC voters to flip their votes.

Just the fact that people have been threatened with their life if they do not switch their votes... IF they do so.... that gives members of Congress all the justification they would need to object to those EC votes.
edit on R202016-12-01T14:20:53-06:00k2012Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I dunno. I just think it is kind of deceptive to post an article that talks about one thing then take into question its total veracity because of one piece of reporting (that totals one paragraph within the article) that was poorly researched. No one is perfect and no one nails it out of the park 100% of time. We all make mistakes and arrogance (like that article author displayed by demanding you look up the process yourself) conflates its chances of it occurring. Why can't this just be an example of an article author just being human and making a mistake? I mean that is literally not even an OPTION in your OP title?

Look. I get it, you guys don't trust CNN, but if you are going to post propaganda to prove your point, this isn't the way to do it. What you are doing is like flying to Disney World and then complaining when the vacation is over that the entire vacation sucked because you had a window seat on the way down.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join