It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The Problem with Winning - As an Anti-Establishment Candidate

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Is the whole 'winning part.

We see it with Trump now and this whole 'drain the swamp fiasco'. Considering he can't fire congressmen, senators and other elected officials and can only determine the state of his Executive Branch, the only 'swamp' he has control over is that one.

Now I'm not blaming Trump for appointing political insiders and career politicians etc. It's par for the course. How else does a man with 0 political or leadership experience in government run a country?

Well he doesn't, he hires a team of people who have done it before to do. Otherwise, he would, as I stated previously spend the first 18 months of his Presidency playing a game called ' How to White House ' and inevitably that would turn into a lame duck 4 years.

So it's only natural that Trump pick people who have some idea of how these things work, because he doesn't. All he knows is what's on the internet and about 80% of the internet is bullsh*t.

I wasn't a supporter of Donald Trump during the election, but he won, and that's not going to change. Jill Stein can spend all the money she wants on recounts, it won't change a thing. All we can do now is hope that Donald turns out to be a centrist as opposed to the far right extremist we've seen during the campaign.

The more interesting part of this whole thing will be how does he resolve the conflict of interest issues? There is literally no facet of Trump Enterprises and Co. that aren't affected by decisions made at the executive level. Foreign policy, trade and global finance are all tied very closely to the kinds of organizations Trump has a hand in.

A blind trust run by his kids isn't a blind trust. Anybody who tries to tell you otherwise is just lying. To those who say that Trump should not have to give up his successfull businesses just because he won POTUS, I say he needs to for that very reason.

Being President is a sacrifice you make, or at least it should be. It's a duty that only very few can do well or at all, considering the job requirements a lone. Anybody who is truly in it for the country and the people of that country, should have absolutely no problem handing off their previous endeavors to whom ever for the time they are going to spend leading the country.

It's simply a matter of principle.

This circles back around to the original premise of the thread, how not being part of the boys club of politics and then winning an election, can create a whole host of problems you've never contemplated. Trump is soon going to have to decide if he actually wants to be man of the people, or a man after his own legacy that includes being richer when he leaves the White House, then the day he walked in.

I'm putting this in the mudpitt because of the inevitable vitriol that's going to be spewed by both left and right. I would ask that the more partisan folk at least refrain from having your fingers 'fall down the stairs of political trollin' if at all possible.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower
My husband and I were discussing this. He has promised to completely walk away from his companies...but does it matter?

I voted Trump...and would a million times again.

BUT his decisions can and will have effects on his companies. I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he will make the best decision for the American people until I see him do otherwise. I believe that is only fair to him. We have to at least give him a chance to do the right thing.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Yes, the trouble with winning as an outsider is that as soon as you win, You become the "insider".

The trouble with successful revolutions is that the revolutionaries become the establishment they revolted against and now must answer those who would revolt against them.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Well he did say:

In another tweet, the Republican said "legal documents are being crafted which take me completely out of business operations. The Presidency is a far more important task!"

I'm not sure what he could do to appease people about the business issue. People are going to complain no matter what he does. I'm hopeful that he really means it when he says the Presidency is far more important. Only time will tell.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I would rather have a president that is actually affected by his decisions as apposed to one that will just walk away clean.
It is definitely in his and our best interest to make the economy grow strong again.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I would rather have a president that is actually affected by his decisions as apposed to one that will just walk away clean.
It is definitely in his and our best interest to make the economy grow strong again.

That's not incentive to do right by YOU, that's incentive to do right by HIM.

He's now a public servant. The people own him. He's not to make any decisions that benefit himself while he's in office, not financially anyway.

Besides any policies that will realistically help the middle class would hurt a billionaire's pocket book.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

I can only hope so. I'm not on the whole 'Trump is just going to be garbage' train.

I have SOME hope.

I just hope his supporters hold his feet to the fire, as much as they would have a Democrat.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
It's hilarious to watch Democrats so frustrated all they can do is splutter "H-H-H-He's not anti-establishment now that he w-w-w-won". Derp derp "He's an insider now."

Please keep it up. Next 8 years are going to be great!

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Trump would not benefit from a market where the consumer is stronger than the producer, or where working people are paid a decent wage, representative of the effort they put into their work.

He would not be able to make American workers appear competitive with those of other nations, like China and Mexico, without insisting they take less money per hour than those other work forces, and since the cost of living is...profoundly out of line with earnings as it is, that can only spell disaster, either preventing him making any changes at all out of good sense and fear of failing the electorate, or worse (and significantly more likely) dooming the vast majority of Americans to lesser working conditions and/or pay, in order to attract mercenary businesses back to the country.

The chances of him doing anything successful or revolutionary or purely worker focused were slim before his election. With the cronies and banking cartel insiders he is gathering about himself now, the chances are simply non-existent.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Dear trump voter,

After trump makes fools out of you, please stay out of politics and religion forever.

Signed,

Planet Earth

edit on 621Thursday000000America/ChicagoDec000000ThursdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

They have that covered. Now that republicans have all the power, deficits do not matter. Trump can do just about anything he really wants to do. Then in 8 yrs everyone will be pissed about the 40trillion debt, then they will vote democrats, and blame them. Like the state I live in. The lawmakers have been republican for 25 years and they still blame democrats for the economy.

Trump is counting on corporations bringing back their hoards of money with a tax deduction. Why would they do that when keeping it where it is hoarded, is zero in taxes.

edit on 1-12-2016 by MOMof3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

originally posted by: Bluntone22

That's not incentive to do right by YOU, that's incentive to do right by HIM.

He's now a public servant. The people own him. He's not to make any decisions that benefit himself while he's in office, not financially anyway.

Besides any policies that will realistically help the middle class would hurt a billionaire's pocket book.

~Tenth

A strong economy benefits everyone.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Trump doesn't play by the rules. He won't last long as President and will be impeached by his own party. Congress would much rather work with Pence and they will "arrange" for it to happen.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

He seems to play by exploiting gaps in rules and groups, sometimes putting them against each other. Sometimes using them together. Laced with a bit of whimsical impulsive distractions that a) satisfy his cravings and b) keep his opponents off balance.

Unfortunately he wants to exploit the gaping wounds in society.

edit on 641Thursday000000America/ChicagoDec000000ThursdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

The DOW is at record highs. The 'economy' according to everybody is just great at this time.

Not so much for the little guy though right?

The kind of economy that's doing good is what matters.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I completely agree. Trump has put himself in a very tough situation. He wins the election based on specific ideals that he campaigned on, such as "draining the swamp" and uprooting the corrupt, like Hillary Clinton.

Well now he is in a position in which he has to rely on the "swamp" to fill his cabinet with knowledgeable people, since he has no idea what he is doing, and he also puts himself on a very thin line that could lead to his own corruption.

He did win and I also have hope that he will do some good for the country, but he's got to tread carefully.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
He appears to be doing what he suggested he might - leave all the recommendations to Pence now that he's shuffled up his transition team (again) and kicked out Chris Christie and put Pence in that spot.

What he doesn't seem to be doing is effectively dealing with his conflict of interests (his businesses)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

He appears to be doing what he suggested he might - leave all the recommendations to Pence now that he's shuffled up his transition team (again) and kicked out Chris Christie and put Pence in that spot.

Looks like it. I understand that Trump has skipped his daily intelligence briefings and Pence has gone in his place.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueMule
Dear trump voter,

After trump makes fools out of you, please stay out of politics and religion forever.

Signed,

Planet Earth

a few here at ats said they were voting trump simply to piss off the boys in skinny jeans. LOL. yay jealousy.

he's not going to do a damn thing for the working poor. biggest con job ever is how I view his election. if he doesn't start bring jobs back FAST his supporters will turn. if I were him i'd be very concerned.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
a reply to: Martin75

I can only hope so. I'm not on the whole 'Trump is just going to be garbage' train.

I have SOME hope.

I just hope his supporters hold his feet to the fire, as much as they would have a Democrat.

~Tenth

I'm on the Trump is garbage train, mainly because that train pulled out of the station 20 years ago and hasn't changed it's cargo yet.

Seems to be the same people that expect him to completely change into some type of benevolent leader are the same people who expected to wake up after a Trump victory into a changed country.

Neither are going to happen.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join