It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to survive wild fires

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Looking at those two guys trying to drive off a mountain near Gatlinberg got me thinking about how we take it for granted over here in Aus. Wildfire is such a part of our life, everyone knows what to do, we talked about what to do back in primary school. Getting through a wild fire is too complicated to try and type up here but I wanted to share this very good link with you. If you follow the links and download the pdfs you will get a pretty good idea of how to survive and even defend your house during a wildfire.

This link has a lot of good information.

You will soon realize being prepared for wildfire, or bushfire as we call it, it is something you have to do all year round, not an hour before the fire hits. Maybe you should think about getting the community together and start getting ready to survive wildfires, who knows, it might even spread to other communities. I might be able to help you with any questions about the Australian terminology. There are also a few youtube videos about what to expect.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Cinrad

Thank you for trying to help and providing information.

I can't imagine living somewhere this is a common occurrence.

I was very close to a wildfire when I lived in Florida, too close for comfort. My home was in danger and we were evacuated.

Folks think Florida is all swamp (there's a lot of that) and wouldn't think it prone to fires but, it is.

Thanks again.
I'll read in a bit when I can better focus.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Cinrad

Now that is useful information.
Very thoughtful of you.

S&F

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
A wild fire, or bush fire as you say down under, is a prepper scenario I have been giving consideration for a number of years now. There is much to consider and there are a few programs around here that deal with that subject. Right now, although I live in a swamp, it's a hardwood swamp with plenty of fuel and enough high ground to disregard it as fire proof for sure. Like TNMockingbird said, a swamp can catch fire too.

People around here, more often then not, will burn leaves in the fall and spring, rather than move the leaves into the woods somewhere to naturally decay. Both spring and fall here are often dry and fire prone seasons with burn restrictions that are mostly ignored.

Just yesterday I was helping a friend tear down an old mobile home over in the nearest town. The lot was not only overgrown and littered with leaves, but in an old growth Jack Pine stand with what I'd say were the largest and oldest trees of this kind I've ever seen and many of them were standing dead at this point. These "scrub pines" are prone to wildfires and even require fire during their life cycle.

Of course my friend was burning as much of the materials as he could, but his burn pile was right next to the trees and he never even cleared any leaves away from the burn area. Add to that was the wind blowing straight toward the tree line. I left before the fire had burned down, but I had put out some leaves and even had to pull away some left over wood framing for a shed that used to be right where he started his fire as the heat was so intense that had started to catch fire as well.

It is these type of irresponsible (and illegal) fires that could potentially touch off a serious wildfire in my local area. This has me concerned esp. due to the fact I have many piles of dried tree tops on my property from a logging operation here a year ago. I've been clearing the area around my house first, but with 40 acres, even if it is mostly swamp, my risk of fire danger has increased exponentially do to the now dried tree tops.

Thank you so much for bringing up this important subject and for the link you provided. I'm having a look at that link right now and will incorporate as much as I can to my preps.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Basic information about making a plan. Points out some things that could be forgotten like pets and livestock and what if you are not at home when a fire starts but other members of the family are.

How to prepare your home for wildfire.

This one has a lot of practical advice from people who have been through it.

What happens to your decision making when you are under pressure in a wildfire. Really WORTH WATCHING.

This is what you have to be ready for if you want to stay and defend. Our tactic here is to keep wetting the garden/lawn around the house until you can't stand the radiant heat anymore. Then shelter inside until the fire front has passed, it is loud and it can sound like a freight train going past. Then come out and put out all the smouldering bits on the house. But if the house is not prepared it is not defendable and on really bad days no house is defendable as the documentary at the end shows.

This guy has a North American accent. Like he says near the end, "they've let the other two houses go, I'm the only one who makes an effort around here to clean up around the house."

Documentary about our worst fires in recent history - when it all goes wrong

edit on 1/12/16 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

top topics

join