It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USGS Not Showing Some Earthquakes While EMSC Does

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

OK...

Here's a question:

Of the quakes that USGS is failing to report, what percentage are quakes affecting the United States itself?

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Looking at the data provider:

USGS Northern California Regional Network, USGS-Menlo Park, California

So the data comes from the USGS but is not on the U(seless)SGS website?

here it is

M2.0 - 0km NE of The Geysers, California
2016-12-01 23:48:20 UTC
38.779°N 122.755°W 0.8 km depth

USGS lists a different magnitude, but that is common due to difference in the scale at which the event is calculated.

I don't think that the USGS is intentionally obscuring earthquake counts/reporting. I think it's a combination of several factors; lack of funding, old or aging equipment, fractured data sets to name but a few.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

The two USGS seismologists used (ANSS) Advanced National Seismic System catalog. As for the USGS having a lack of funding, old/aging equipment, etc? In some instances sure. But in places like California? Not to mention that their official data which most regular people see is falsely claiming there is no global increase in earthquakes, when in fact there is an exponential increase in worldwide earthquakes. For 2017 USGS is set to receive $1.2 billion USD. In 2016 USGS also received $1.2 billion USD.

This is intentional imo.

You can bet the European Mediterranean Seismological Centre doesn't get that much money, yet it does a better job than USGS?

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

That's a good question. It would take many hours to comb through all the data. I posted just some of the earthquakes I found in the EMSC website that the USGS is not reporting.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   

The reason I ask, is because if we were able to establish where the European system is identifying activity that the US system is not, it might explain why the American system is not reporting, especially if we were to cross compare those incidents of failure and where they occurred, with where hydraulic fracturing is occurring in the states.

In short, is it not possible that certain systems have been deactivated to give oil companies a free shot, some plausible deniability?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join