It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Taps Space Expert To Lead NASA Transition Team---Make NASA a Space Exploration Agency

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Yes America great again.....in space!!

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quantumgamer1776

Yes America great again.....in space!!

And here...we...go! -Again.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Can you see the obvious BS in this piece?

There is talk of increasing the links between NASA and the military.

There is talk of turning NASA away from earth monitoring, toward exploration.

These two positions are mutually exclusive. The military's ENTIRE interest in space operations is to do with intelligence gathering via satellite look down operations, space plane recon capability, and in all probability the black budget creation of kinetic impactor weaponry, based in space and launched from orbit. All of these things are earth focused. Even their interest, if any can be noted at all, in bases on the Moon and so on, is largely to do with monitoring the activity of other powers.

All of these are Earth facing interests, without exception.

A greater amount of military involvement in NASA operations will NOT result in a greater amount of exploration being done in our solar system as a logical end result, because the military are interested in mundane matters, that which has results on the ground, that which has a nuts and bolts, immediately useful purpose. Their interest in exploring for its own sake is virtually non-existent.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
So let me get this straight,
He wants the national space agency to do space related things?

That monster.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

I think there are a number of things that are space relate. The militarization of space, exploration and setting up settlement/labs.
Wonder what one is first and foremost in mind?
What gets me is that there is huge $ to be made in a three goals. And of course the tech gets handed down to the "public" in other words it gets monetized and sold to the public in the form of digital watches and microwave ovens.
I wonder what the new products from this latest stab at the cosmos will bring to walmart?

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Why did it take someone like Trump to do the right thing with NASA?

This should have been an obvious move for the last 3 decades.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Because of Nasa being funded at a 19 billion$ rate we now have space X. We also out source our rocket rides to the Russians. I don't know if these 2 points are good, or will change, we will see.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
yeah, let's leave the vitally important Earth monitoring stuff like weather satellites and climate monitoring to the private sector. nothing wrong with big industry taking over any of that, nor a conflict of interest....

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Because the proper role of a constitutional, republican form of government is to explore the cosmos to the enrichment of defense contractors at public expense.

Huh?

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: usernameconspiracy

You mean NOAA, NASA doing climate stuff is redundant.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle
I am confused but isn't NASA currently exploring space as well as monitoring Earth to learn more about planets? Or is this one of those conservatives don't know what NASA actually does and assumes it does things wrong because DEMs have been in the White House for a 8 years?

Our manned space program went away under Obama and Obama himself tasked NASA with focusing on outreach to Muslims. . Neil Degrasse Tyson used to speak out against it, then he got bought off and became a high priest of the new age science religion.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
While I am "over the moon" with the excitement of more space exploration, I am saddened by the prospect of there being closer ties to the military. This takes it out of the realm of science into the world of politics. Even more -- bring in the private military industrial complex in a heavier role and the environment becomes increasingly polluted.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: BeBoo
I think that the military and space will forever be joined at the hip.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Unfortunately seasonal, I believe you are right.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Is it just me or does it seem like we get no NASA of old or we get old NASA but the military gets to mil space.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Bluntone22

How about this old tech circa 1992

Sold out to Elon, tuned this into the Falcon 9

I say all bets on EMdrive I want to see this thing going..

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Pyle
I believe its a matter of lets encourage volume increases of trips into space. Meaning we have to invest into developing more efficient and affordable underlying technologies for leaving the planet. Leaving the planet is the most expensive part. We can build durable shuttles. When I think of leaving the planet, I feel we need to reduce the cost of hydrogen production as a starter. That is a whole other industry with expansive and well paying jobs.

Maybe what we do is get like a Lockheed, DuPont, GE dream team that sign a dedicated long term business agreement to search out the greatest minds on Earth with intuitive ingenuity, and give them incentives to move here for a competitive advantage. We could always increase our own capacity for great people by regulating the media we feed to our populations minds and making post grad education more affordable. Those are other issues to be revisited at a later time though.

Point is, lets encourage industry's to work together in competition across the globe for the most affordable multi mission earth departure services. What if we offered a $5billion prize to the companies or partnerships that can develop the technology to leap frog from atmosphere to atmosphere. (*with a provision to distribute $1billion of that to the minds of the teams that actually did all the physics and nano/bio-tech/meteorological sci ency stuff.)Thatd be so cool if we can give another generation that feeling of jumping to the moon for the first time, but because we can come and go as we please.

Anyways, that is the space exploration type focus I believe in. Hopefully that is what the transition team's vision is as well.
a reply to: Jungian
well we have the tech now, we just need to speed up the affordability to get its industry thriving.
a reply to: usernameconspiracy
Hey not we always have NOAA. NASA can focus on satellite outposts and other extra-terrestrial colonization, NOAA focuses on Earth stuff. Who knows, maybe it is a biblical suggestion to have NOAA watch the Earth. They can do a similar mission to NASA, but preemptively build arks to keep stationed around the globe. They can double as disaster relief maritime refugee cities until the real flood shows up for us to put ostriches and zebras and stuff on.

a reply to: NthOther
for the enrichment of our nation fellow citizen. What is good for the USA, is good for the world
| Foreign societies can benefit from the technologies and commerce opportunities as well. Competition is healthy for hitting the top, cooperation is essential for staying there.

originally posted by: seasonal
I think that the military and space will forever be joined at the hip.

And that is how it should stay. What happens when a civilian science vessel encounters some strange space bug type creature with acidic weapons that can compromise hulls. Bet that crew will be wishing they had some seriously mean hammers to beat that nail in with.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join