It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Would Facebook or Twitter Ever Ban President Trump?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   

SLATE MAG: Would Facebook or Twitter Ever Ban President Trump?

One says it wouldn’t, and one says it would.

Could the president of the United States ever get suspended or banned from a major social network? The answer: It depends on the network.

It’s a hypothetical question, of course—but not merely an academic one, given the president-elect’s track record of using social media to sow conspiracy theories, attack reporters, threaten political rivals, and call for religious discrimination. Facebook and Twitter in particular have already struggled to reconcile their policies on harassment and hate speech with some of the activities of Donald Trump and his political allies. And the two social networks have offered starkly different answers to the question.

Facebook has indicated that it will not apply its normal community standards to posts from President-elect Trump, given their newsworthiness and the widespread popular support for his views. But Twitter told Slate that no one is exempt from its rules—not even the president.

Twitter recently suspended the accounts of several leading pundits and activists from the “alt-right,” a pro-Trump movement that is linked with notions of white supremacy, white nationalism, and anti-Semitism. Asked whether Twitter would ever consider banning key government officials or even the president himself, a company spokesperson responded via email: “The Twitter Rules prohibit violent threats, harassment, hateful conduct, and multiple account abuse, and we will take action on accounts violating those policies.” Pressed on whether that meant that, hypothetically, Trump himself could be suspended were he to violate those policies, a spokesperson confirmed: “The Twitter Rules apply to all accounts, including verified accounts.”

If they ever did, I can't even imagine the outrage.

In expected fashion, here's InforWars' take:

Twitter Threatens To Kill Trump’s Account

A Twitter spokesperson told Slate this week that it would consider banning government officials, including president elect Trump, if its rules against “hateful conduct” were violated.

“Twitter Rules prohibit violent threats, harassment, hateful conduct, and multiple account abuse, and we will take action on accounts violating those policies,” a spokesperson recently told media outlet Quartz. “The Twitter Rules apply to all accounts.”

Give Twitter’s clear bias and selective enforcement of the rules, such a ban would not be unlikely.

So, mud-pit, which policy is better? Facebook's or Twitter's?

edit on 30-11-2016 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Surprised they haven't already. It hadn't even occurred to me, actually, but now that I'm thinking about it its almost shocking with their clear and present social engineering bias.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

nice grab, Loam. First bump. I believe no public official should
use a private (oh dear) site for a bully pulpit-- especially if it
elicits more exposure than a news wire, which could be at-
tributable to both sites.
In the past though, some people have expressed fears their
charters or station licensing would be jeopardized by getting
someone important angry about their political leanings. Of
course the person or people expressing those fears never
went on record... I think it had to do with self-preservation.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
The left's definition of hate, white supremacy, racism and various isms these days is so broad that neither social media site will exist much longer. Leftist society (social media, MSM, Hollywood etc etc) is PC on steroids right now.

edit on 30-11-2016 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Muslim Brotherhood is okie doke though.

Another company would love to host tweets for the president and all the traffic and users they bring. I dare them.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   
So many fake Twitter accounts. Who would care?

Now if he opened an account on ATS and got banned ... LOL

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

A large percentage of his supporters don't use FB, Twitter or watch major network news to include FOX. Go ahead and ban him. Won't make any difference.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   
he should shut those 2 useless companies down enough of there crap they are really over stepping their boundaries

besides if you shut down facecr@p you will probably see a 20-30 percent drop in the divorce rate maybe even more

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Which ever company BANS Donald Trump, even before he becomes President, will lose millions of users overnight. I might join up right now, just so I can leave if one dumps the Trump account.

top topics

join