It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Work for Your Education

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: eluryh22

Given the opportunity I would have went into the Air Force and worked in computer sciences. So many wrong turns simply because I lacked the education and experience to make the right ones.

Incorrect.

From my business experience....it is not what you know that will determine your success...it is who you know.

The only way to land a good "IN" job is to know someone or have a family member who works there to get you through the door. The education part really is secondary. And that is the MILLION DOLLAR ANSWER to life.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

While what you say would be correct in most cases. It happens to be how I got my foot in the door where I am now. I don't think it's strictly applicable across the board. For instance not everyone here knew somebody.

Networking can yield some amazing results. What better way to build a network that working across various fields and organizations?

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

The question is, would you do it the same way again if there was a better and slightly easier way. By no means easy but easier than the route you took?

There is no easy way. However, if you are not passionate in what you do...it will be very hard no matter what you do.

I learned to enjoy working with my hands and be physically fit...so naturally the hard work ethic and being highly skilled with my tools are getting me somewhere.

It would have been much easier if my parents started the business instead of me. In fact I am the first person in my family tree that I know of that has created a legal business and become an employer. Everyone is always used to being an employee in my family. But not me.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

While what you say would be correct in most cases. It happens to be how I got my foot in the door where I am now. I don't think it's strictly applicable across the board. For instance not everyone here knew somebody.

Networking can yield some amazing results. What better way to build a network that working across various fields and organizations?

Though I agree with you that a lot of organizations hire and fire to fill in positions, and that networking does help your chances of getting your foot in the door...at the end of the day I bet you a buffalo nickel my statement will hold true IMO

One thing to note...while you may like your current position at some point down the road you do become disposable to an organization unless you are a family member or friend of the owners of the business. Just sayin. At that point it would be better to find a government job and forgo that risk.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   

I didn't have an easy childhood...no sir.

I hear you, my friend. Growing up financially poor has benefits down the road (if one can realize them) but it's tough at the time.

Even though I have a nice king size bed...I still sleep on my couch as a daily reminder where I came from and where I want to be....eventually sleep in my bed. But those are the growing pains.

I LOVE this. Funny you should write that too because I was just thinking that when time allows (lets say if a meeting gets cancelled at the last minute) and I have to make a few copies of a spec book, rather than bring to the reproduction people I go over to one of the copy rooms and do it myself. Listening to the rhythm of the copier brings me back to my beginnings and reminds me of how far I have come. Of course, I do allow for the possibility that I'm breathing something in from the toner... ha!

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

One thing to note...while you may like your current position at some point down the road you do become disposable to an organization unless you are a family member or friend of the owners of the business. Just sayin. At that point it would be better to find a government job and forgo that risk.

This scenario is valid in most positions. However what is not disposable is my skills and experience. They will apply in the next job. They are mine, I earned them. That is the same as education and a degree. It wasn't free thus it was earned and I do not owe anything for it.

The premise and reason behind this thread is to pursue the idea that it can be done in a much better way. Be it under the terms you demonstrated or putting it back into the hands of the future generations.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I just worked 60-70 hours a week and took 6 years to get a bachelor's degree. "Only" ended up with $12k in student loans ('93-'00.) I could have paid for school outright, but somehow found ways to have fun blowing money in between classes and work.

Now when I work over 50 hours in a week with no school, I long for a vacation. And I only drink about 1% of what I did in my college years. And I don't "partake" either.

Use and abuse the energy young'uns, but make sure you have fun and accomplish something useful in the process.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

I still remember picking pop cans and beer bottles around the neighbourhood ditches with my mom just so that we would have enough money to put the bread on the table. I didn't know why we were doing it until now...and even though it was a painful experience (fun for me because I was the grunt that would jump down some steep embankments to get the prize) but I learned the value of a dollar...

If something needs to be done sometimes it works way better just to get it done yourself! Kudos to you brother for taking charge of the situation and supporting your team!

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

This scenario is valid in most positions. However what is not disposable is my skills and experience. They will apply in the next job. They are mine, I earned them. That is the same as education and a degree. It wasn't free thus it was earned and I do not owe anything for it.

The premise and reason behind this thread is to pursue the idea that it can be done in a much better way. Be it under the terms you demonstrated or putting it back into the hands of the future generations.

TBH after I got my accounting degree and got a job in the head office of a big window manufacturing plant for a jr. accountant...I got laid off after 3 months and then had my position at the company terminated.

I learned one lesson in life right away...if I am to leave a position it will be on my own terms. In a week I registered my own business and became self employed. I didn't like the idea of having my life determined by someone behind a desk. F--- that! I worked too hard for my degree to not be able to put it to use...now I use the knowledge I learned from university and skills from my trade to grow my own business and do my own accounting.

The best education is SELF EDUCATION

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   

I agree that self education is key. The more experience you can get in the work force BEFORE going to college, the better IMO.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Well said...100% agree

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

Better to put some of that money into education rather than...anything else.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join