It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Dramatic video of two men barely escaping a wildfire in Tennessee

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Ats said my post was too short and to write something meaningful well here's words..

I don't think it was posted yet, a couple people on sides of the road, burning trees in the road, no emergency people are there, cabins burning, forest burning smoke everywhere

edit on 30-11-2016 by omniEther because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: omniEther

I can't tell by the video if they "barely escaped". I really hope they made it.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
That would be one of the most uncomfortable experiences of my life, and I am putting that mildly.

I don't fear anything more than fire.

I hope they made it out.

And I worry about the people who were left further up the road that they passed by early on.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Yes the father and son made it out safely. This happened Monday night during the evacuations from Gatlinburg. Finally found an article. This is from The Sun in the UK (the coverage of these fires has been awful)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I feel horrible for everyone down there. If it wasn't for the Internet you'd have no idea this was going on right now.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Song lyrics highway to hell come to mind watching that.

Wow.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

They did, otherwise they wouldn't have posted the video.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
That would be one of the most uncomfortable experiences of my life, and I am putting that mildly.

I hope they made it out.

And I worry about the people who were left further up the road that they passed by early on.

It was extremely uncomfortable watching it. Even though I knew that since I was watching it, that they had to have gotten out.

What really disturbed me was that he said there was no warning. That it was impossible for that many cabins to have burned to the ground without the authorities knowing, and for no attempts being made to to control the fire.

I live in the woods and fire is the one thing I dread more than anything else, because our dirt road is little better than a cow pasture, and there is one way in and one way out, unless you take some serious risks that may end you up in more trouble. I have often thought if things get really bad, and the fire is moving fast enough, I would probably have a better chance driving my car into the pond.

As uncomfortable as it made me feel watching it, I learned a few things. I am going to show this video to my neighbors and see if we can come up with a reliable escape plan.

edit on 30-11-2016 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

As uncomfortable as it made me feel watching it, I learned a few things. I am going to show this video to my neighbors and see if we can come up with a reliable escape plan.

That is a great idea and I'm sure you can. One thing that will make it difficult is accounting for extreme weather.

The time frame is a little hazy in my recollection but, strong winds blew across the state before the rains came. There was some rain Monday but, it wasn't much. The wind was strong. Here where I am west of Knoxville, the sustained winds were 15-25 MPH with gusts to 45.

I heard gusts preceding the Gatlinburg fire getting out of control were upwards of 80+. *It had been so dry for so long, the worst drought in 10 years so was said.

I have heard on my local scanner, recently, how quickly a fire can 'jump a road' and take off. Also, fires tend to climb up or down a mountain with an almost irrational fury (maybe has to do with the downdrafts/updrafts etc ?)

Good luck getting a game plan together for you and your neighbors.

Hopefully, something can be learned.
edit on 30-11-2016 by TNMockingbird because: *

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

That made me tense-up just watching it! That was the closest experience to hell these two guys are going to get. I don't know how they were able to stay calm let alone see the road! I'm surprised the truck didn't catch on fire.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Didn't like the feeling the ending of the video gave me, felt like they hit a tree or something at the end?

I'm guessing they made it out okay since it got uploaded unless they were streaming, either way, what terrible situation to be in, no room to panic.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Happy they made it-guessing so because the video was shared. Their poor dog was even panting from the heat. I know from living in rural areas how fire spreads across the dense forest. Not too long ago, the PNW had to deal with not only the fires, but the smoke inhalation risk.

Stay safe all.
edit on 30-11-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic
Yes they survived. Article linked in my last post. I can honestly say I don't know if I could have done what they did. It had to be awful!

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

originally posted by: ketsuko

I hope they made it out.

It was extremely uncomfortable watching it. Even though I knew that since I was watching it, that they had to have gotten out.

What really disturbed me was that he said there was no warning. That it was impossible for that many cabins to have burned to the ground without the authorities knowing, and for no attempts being made to to control the fire.

I live in the woods and fire is the one thing I dread more than anything else, because our dirt road is little better than a cow pasture, and there is one way in and one way out, unless you take some serious risks that may end you up in more trouble. I have often thought if things get really bad, and the fire is moving fast enough, I would probably have a better chance driving my car into the pond.

You know, it would be interesting to know what you come up with.

You should post an update on that!

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Didn't like the feeling the ending of the video gave me, felt like they hit a tree or something at the end?

I'm guessing they made it out okay since it got uploaded unless they were streaming, either way, what terrible situation to be in, no room to panic.

Saw that they had ran over a fallen tree.

They are very lucky that, itself, didn't stop them.

Very lucky folks there and pup.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I would have smacked that cameraman if I were the one driving the truck. Trying to backseat drive while the guy was trying to concentrate is a good way to get themselves killed.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard
It was his dad. I don't think I would smack daddy, LOL. But yeah the son seemed much calmer.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Here is what I think is the full video. They did hit a tree.

Language warning. But I think it was mild compared to what I think I might have been saying.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I read somewhere today that there were 70 to 80 mph winds added to sparks from another fire on a mountain in the area. That fire was small, and they thought it was contained. But when those sparks escaped and hit the bone dry forest (area has been in drought conditions) with those winds, it didn't take any time at all for a disaster to happen. I think they said there was a disaster in the works in about 15 minutes.

It sounds like a perfect storm type event.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: DupontDeux

You know, it would be interesting to know what you come up with. You should post an update on that!

Talked to 2 neighbors. There is no easy fix. Depending on which way the fire is heading requires a different fix. If the fire is coming from the west we have a good chance of making it out, with little or no problems. If it is coming from the east, there just aren't many choices. The road dead ends in all but one direction. Would need bridges on the south and west side. Would have to break a heavy safety gate to go west, then could drive up the power line and across some produce fields to the north, unless the fires was coming that way. But even with 4 wheel drive we will never make it across those produce fields if they are wet.

I have talked to the Fire Department and the Sheriff's Department about this problem several times, nothing was done. The situation is likely to change anyway, sooner than I would like. Some of the produce fields have been bought up with plans in the next 5 years or less for a gated community. The dirt roads will be gone, and I am sure there will be alternate access roads.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join