It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The South is Burning, Who Cares?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

You're right about the lack of media attention. I've got people in every one of the affected states, some of whom have not been heard from in days...otherwise, I'm not certain that I would have even known about it. It is difficult to find the motivation to wade through the relentless stream of political garbage to find any other news, and I think people are just tired of the hassle, so they don't bother.

It's not that they're ignoring it entirely in the media...they have reported on it. However, the amount of coverage seems disproportionately scant for such a widespread and enormous path of destruction. It's even stranger given the evidence that this may have been deliberate...that should be all over the news, but the coverage seems little more than a formality. It makes no sense...but then again everything is starting to seem so surreal lately, it's like being trapped in a crazy dream that you can't wake up from, no matter how badly you want to.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
It's not that nobody cares. It's just that our hoses don't reach that far. Where was the South when California burned? How about Eastern Washington last year? Oh, you didn't hear about that, right?

they have reduced fire fighters from something like 4,000 to closer to 3,200 I think?

Other people may not get how these things must work.

There is only so much you can do to fight... Nature..

rains helping or helped..

Lets get some more rain please.

we are at 7 confirmed dead and 700 buildings destroyed

myfox8.com...

The Fire that is in the OP the one that killed 7 and burned 700 buildings down.. It's believed to be started by humans..

there are many other fires burning as well.
edit on 30-11-2016 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s
There's no national cable media uproar because:

1) It's logistically impossible to move the fires + the people ("experts") affected into the studio for a roundtable discussion with Don Lemon.

2) There's no money in location shoots (or field journalism) anymore because they blew their budget on a fancy display for John King's teledildonic electoral voting trend analysis platform.

3) Despite my disdain for CNN, the other major networks are just as bad. MSNBC shot their wad on Rachel Maddow's tears. FOX spent theirs on haircuts and phony outrage.

On the plus side, FOX has local affiliates to "lift" footage from.

I'll have to make sure to keep an eye out for your posts from now on.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
There's something seriously wrong with that guy. But for all of you affected, try the Disaster Assistance.gov website. I have never utilized it, but it could be worth a shot.

originally posted by: bknapple32
They covered this as much or more than any random wildfire in Cal. What more do you want them to do? have cameras on a fire for hours straight?

And sell them as Christmas DVDs for charity, perhaps...?

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   
It's been reported on, just not as much as if it happened in a less conservative area. The reason is simple. It's the same reason that New Orleans got so much coverage after Katrina, but Biloxi (where Katrina actually hit) got very little coverage in relation to New Orleans.

We don't cry and wail and wring our hands, expecting someone to come in and make it all better. We pull together and rebuild.

My area has been under exceptional drought with a no-burn order for weeks. Our responce? Buckle down, conserve water where we can, be extra careful with fires, and wait it out. The rains will come. They came last night, a little too hard. More is forecast for the weekend. Good. We'll weather those storms too, and rebuild where we must.

You know... boring stuff.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Given our current political climate, I also suspect the story is downplayed because of the amazing number of arsons involved in these fires. I think they are afraid of that aspect of the story. They'll wait to report more fully on that aspect, if at all, when it becomes clear they can't avoid it anymore.

Meanwhile, social media is awash in it.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Wow!

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

New Orleans was highlighted because of the gun grab and the rapes occurring in the makeshift camps.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

The 7 deaths are terrible. I'm going to do a quick search and find out why they died. But 700 structures being burned isn't a big deal, is it? Has the President declared this a disaster area? Often times, people end up with MUCH BETTER homes, because of that declaration.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   
there is reportage on the BBC [ UK ] - what more do you want ?

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:51 AM
link   

The South is burning and the Media doesn't seem interested at all.

Duh, everyone knows thats where all of the Rebel flags and racists live.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 06:13 AM
link   
IF this guy is out of jail, and that is very likely if he met bail. We might know who did it this time.

and he is a white idiot kid. Terrorist of a pyromania fetish. These type of people are dangerous to themselves.

www.timesfreepress.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

The MSM didn't spend their time talking about gun grabs. That was alternative media (us). They spent their time talking about how terrible it was people were trapped there (because the mayor was too cheap to use buses to get them out until the busses were underwater), how terrible the political response was (ignoring that the Governor held support back as long as possible), or how people were armed and dangerous (trying to protect their homes from roving gangs, some wearing badges). And of course there was plenty of newsreel fodder of people crying for help. Biloxi was destroyed, completely. I drove through there just after I-10 was reopened. 60" XXS steel pipes that once held billboards looked like mangled drinking straws. Both sides of the Interstate were piled higher that a car with appliances, wrecked vehicles, and pieces of homes...not just single piles, but a continuous heap of discarded pieces of Biloxi that ran for tens of miles. But Biloxi residents, while devastated, were too busy trying to dig out to cry for the news cameras. On the way back through, I saw a sign that had been put back up. It read "Biloxi WILL be back!"

People unable to help themselves make good news. People helping themselves doesn't. Apparently.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   

That is thanks to the Democratic news network posting Hillary and Trump crap,guess wildfires come in 2nd,and no movie stars for photo ops,thats what happened

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior
Have you been reading social media? That is exactly what is being said. I am appalled by people
They are saying it is a red Trump state so let it burn. When did humanity sink so low?

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

and he is a white idiot kid.

Idiots come in all colors, shapes, and sizes.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Saw Dolly Parton in Pensacola,Fl Tuesday night ( one of the best shows I've ever seen) she addressed the fires and relayed some information that hadn't been broadcast about her Dollywood attraction being spared.

I was just reading earlier Dolly just started donating 1000$ a day to families affected by fires in her area.

"red state let it burn"

We as a human race are being baited at every junction into more control, ramping up the emotions by main stream media that can say anything they want and not lose their jobs like Curt Shilling, Hank Jr, etc. Albeit what Hank Jr said was out of line he didn't say it in his Monday night football song but instead in a interview where he was asked his opinion. Then the thought police kicked him off the air.

Off topic- which leads me to, Who's gonna be the one that decides what fake news is? I personally feel this topic is the most important topic to come up in forever, the precedent here is unmatched in anything outside of Communist China state run and controlled media. When whoever runs the show get's to decide what is reality for me and you, scary.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Well I'm a few thousand miles away so I'm only telling you what I saw on the news at the time. It was a terrible situation.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

Damn, that's so bad. It's like saying the Syrians deserve everything they get because they're predominantly Muslim. Very backward thinking.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
It sucks Gatlinburg is gone my mom was planning a vacation for us to visit there so she's really sad she hasn't been there sense she was like a senior in highschool so she really wanted to go I feel bad for all those people

I tried reading all of this thread; didn't catch it-Do they know/have an idea of how the fire started? And there have been 7 deaths?? If this is arson the perp better be charged with murder

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join