It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student loan bubble gonna go POP?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 04:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: loam

Well one of the basics of democracy is equality. Education should be free and available for everybody.

Maybe free based upon the students individual responsibility and performance. Otherwise they go to a trade job. And often trades give them what they want. Money, without debt of a student loan.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I could not agree more with you. Information and education should not be commodities. They are the first line of defense any society has against a number of ills.

We spend 38 billion in foreign aid, mainly to Israel and Egypt. There's one source of education money right there.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22
a reply to: Lucidparadox

Our parents and the people who went to college in the 90's were able to follow the plan. Go to school.. get paid.

I don't mean to sound harsh but I have to ask.... If your parents went to school and got paid... why didn't they have the foresight to put some money on the side over the years so that you wouldn't have to go into tremendous debt to obtain a higher education?

To be candid, I think the parent part of the equation seems to be entirely absent.

I want to say that of course life can throw many curveballs at people. There are accidents and illnesses and worse that happens over 18 years. However, every expecting parent or parent of a newborn knows full well that in about 18 years their little bundle of joy will be of college age.

Why is it essentially assumed that everyone that goes to college needs to go so deeply into debt? Yes, there are and always will be "rich" people who don't have to "worry" about sending their kids to school. However, I don't understand how parents manage to raise a child for 18 years and put almost NOTHING aside for their kids' futures.

I'm not trying to say that my wife and I are angels, and we really don't have tons of disposable income, but our now 5 year old's college has been on our minds for years already. We had an account set up for that expressed purpose from before he turned one. Every payday we make sure to put SOMETHING in there. Sometimes its as little as twenty dollars. When overtime is coming our way it can go up to over a hundred dollars. We put it in slow-growth, low-risk investments and so far, so good.

Note: All this is not necessary aimed at you, Lucid. It was just your post that got me thinking.

When I said parents I wasn't referring to mine.

My birth father has been in prison his whole life, and I was raised by a single mom who did not go to college.

I was referencing I guess my grandparents... my uncle.. and parents of my friends and others. I was speaking generally.

new topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join