It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student loan bubble gonna go POP?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

We might be seeing things a bit different - To me, (and I'll admit there's some bias as he's my friend), I see the loans being forgiven as giving him some of his freedom back; the second part of the sentence is me more or less injecting a thought towards him (kind of like saying "I wish that guy would move on with their life").

Though I'm implying he'd go back to college (in which case you would be correct; I only believe in second chances), what he would probably do is similar to what I would if the loans were dropped: Contribute to the economy via other means. I'd use that money I'm "saving" to create some kind of scholarship or aid money for someone who was struggling to get into a university, or help a startup get on their feet. You'd have to take me at my word, but those are my goals for when I don't have any large debts in my name (year and a half to go!).

-foss

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkmadness

Wait... let me clarify I wasn't very clear my apologies.

Where does their money come from???

Where does who's money come from?

If you are saying that the bankers stole from me in the past, say, via the bailouts, you'd be correct.

That being said, just because the bankers stole from me through the government does NOT make it ok for others to steal from me through the government. It also doesn't make it ok for the government to steal from me directly.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

So I turned Independent Contractor, for life.

And that is really the best way to go. Be your own boss, create your own jobs. I think our institutions need to revisit this philosophy, because thats pretty much how American citizens made bank up until the FED came along. Everyone is asking for jobs, or searching for them. Whatever happened to creating our own jobs? If you make it, offer it, or service it, people will buy it.

I do everything from change brake pads and wall mount people's televisions to setting up wireless networks or manicure their lawns, and anything in between as extra income. All I do to find customers is print a regular size flyer, an put it up in public places like laundry mats, convenience store fronts, independent restaurants that I have good rapport with as well as utility polls in high foot traffic areas (like next to a gas station).

My plan is to open up a scrap yard to buy scrap metal, but refine the ewaste and copper myself. Build myself a nice little foundry in the back of whatever property I finally get for it. This is a growing industry and has no shortage of raw material supply.

Lets all start creating our own jobs today!

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Thank-goodness Donald Trump is about to reverse the trend of government getting its controlling tentacles into so many aspects of our life. As the article states, The Education Department FORGOT to calculate inflation in it's projection of how much this program would cost U.S. taxpayers. The EDUCATION department, for god's sake! That agency must be run and staffed by people who didn't even graduate high school.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Lol majoring in arts, their own fault

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

You don't say!

Here's a little tidbit for you...if you really think that the money the government possess is still the property of the taxpayer, how is it that so little of it gets spent on the taxpayer themselves?

Oh that's right! In a capitalism, the people cannot expect to have money funnelled back into their lives, by way of infrastructural improvement, by way of having an effective mail system that is not INSANELY complicated to deal with, or a government made how they want it!

They spend your money on a thousand unworthy things a day which have nothing to do with your people, or their lives. How naive to you have to be, to believe that your government, the IRS and The Federal Reserve, treat that money as if it belongs to you?

They do not. It would be nice though, if they spent that money on making the lives of people, many of whom are already paying tax as it happens, just a little less like a Godamn nightmare that started as a good old fashioned dream.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I went to college for 5 years and graduated with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration... Minored in marketing, too. I'm currently working a job making $8.50 an hour... best I've had after graduating has been $10.70 an hour

This is why my generation is so bitter. We were hammered all our lives by teachers and school officials to go to college when we grew up.

I honestly would have been better off not going to college. No really! Many people my age I have seen are further along than those of us that went to college. They have way more to show for their years.

I really wish I didn't go. I could of went to tech school and got a better job being an electrician or mechanic and spend way less time and money.

I've done nothing but work hard all my life and have nothing to show for it. Thanks a lot you old geezers for ruining America for my generation.

You people had it so easy back in the old days.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: kef33890

You mean across the street and apply for an apprentice position in any company and get hired on the spot?

Yeah those days are done.

Now shut up and pay 45k for an education in something you can learn faster on the job.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Applause.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   

a reply to: bknapple32

Good friend of mine has been very successful in software engineering.

Bout to lose his house.

Keeps going on interviews across the country with 100's of applicants per job.

They keep hiring kids out of college because they ask for less money and he's only asking for 60-70k for jobs hearts are worth 120

Lowballing yourself is part of your friends problem if this is the case. One of the worst things you can do when interviewing is to ask for too little. It may sound like a good negotiating strategy to say you're cheaper than the competition, but in some jobs, especially software jobs where the cost of hiring a bad employee is high you set off red flags in the interview process by asking for too little. It makes the employer think something is wrong with you, just the same as if something is discounted by 70% in a store, you assume there's something wrong with it.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: bknapple32

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Dilutes the pot?

How would a completely free University education dilute the pot? That sounds like a decidedly right wing, econofascist thing to say. Care to clarify EXACTLY what you meant by that?

Because it seems to me, that the only way you could have said anything that even gets MISHEARD like that, is if you genuinely thought only those who can pay for information deserve to receive it, despite the FACT that those who work hardest for, and with what they have in the entire breadth of capitalist economies on the earth, are the poorest.

Simple logic to me. There are x amount of applicants who can apply for a finite amount of salary jobs with a career track behind it. Making education free( notice I didnt say affordable, it should be affordable) increases the amount of applicants, yet the amount of finite jobs hasnt changed. Thus instead of going against maybe 30 qualified college graduuate job applicants for 1 opening, youre up against 160 applicants.

So you're saying college should be more expensive in order to make the pool smaller, so that all those who do graduate get a job?

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Why not have a much smaller government which takes far, far less in taxes, leaving its citizens with more of their own money to do with as they wish: including spending on THEIR OWN education?

The lower class that has to fund it's education in order to reach the higher classes doesn't pay any substantial amount in taxes anyways.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: suvorov
Lol majoring in arts, their own fault

Arts are rather lucrative, do you know anything about them? It's not uncommon for art majors to make 6 figures on their first job out of college.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I owe 8k more than I did when I finished law school, in spite of paying $1400 a month for seven years now. Total scam. By the numbers they give me as to interest, I should have reduced the principal by almost 40k by now. yet I owe MORE than when I graduated. And no one can answer me when I ask them why.
edit on 1-12-2016 by jaffo because: spelling

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

Wait... let me clarify I wasn't very clear my apologies.

Where does their money come from???

Where does who's money come from?

If you are saying that the bankers stole from me in the past, say, via the bailouts, you'd be correct.

That being said, just because the bankers stole from me through the government does NOT make it ok for others to steal from me through the government. It also doesn't make it ok for the government to steal from me directly.

Seems like false concern, or denial. You're stolen from everytime they print a dollar.

Unless you can stop that, what is a better compromise than deciding what it's spent on?

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

That photo made me cringe.

Looking at each individual person.... I can imaging them filling out forms, signing their names and making an agreement to pay back what they borrow on a predetermined schedule with a predetermined amount of interest.

Now..... WE WANT IT FOR FREE!!! Wawawawawa.

Sickening.

Too bad it's not as black and white as that. Young people being tricked into overpaying for ridiculously priced classes that are rarely even taught by actual teachers.. they are mostly run by assistants, in overcrowded classrooms. They couldn't care less about your future.. the schools only care about their own futures, and money they can make with overpriced classes, overpriced materials, and tacking on fees for anything and everything they can think of.

My wife racked up a fair bit of college debt. And during her schooling (which was a bit prolonged), the company that owned that debt sold it to another loan company.. twice. Now, she has NO idea what the fees are for, who tacked on what interest, and there is no way for her to even go and check. It's a cumbersome mess. Yes, students signed up for education. But they signed up with the possibly naive idea that they would be provided fair value.. a good education that provides an actually decent paying job, and that their loan would be fair and understandable and they would actually know what the hell they were paying for.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

When people can't find a decent job they are told to go to college, so they go to college and still can't find a job.

Still lazy tho.

Still worthless losers.

How clear does it have to get that this system doesn't work before we change it?

Baseless assertion, much? Empirically prove that said generalized group is in any way "worthless" or "losers."

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx
couldn't

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Meh the only thing college taught me was to get out of skool and start learning valuable real world skeelz.

So thankful I didn't get myself in debt. Paid my way through a couple years and stuffed my joke degree in the trash.

Can't say I sympathize with entitled academics who think they're above a little hard work outside a classroom or campus safe zone..especially when they're asking for my tax dollars!

Colleges are businesses. Students are customers. What can be said but, "Buyer beware!"

edit on 2-12-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   

How just did you receive Pell Grants if your "father was very well off"?

And, aren't Pell Grants free money from the government? Hmm.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join