It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Student loan bubble gonna go POP?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
Well, there will be their "free" education.

But wait, who will end up paying for it? "looks in purse"

Oh yeah, me. Yet again.

Yep.
SO GLAD I worked a full time job during school and went to the cheapest college around so that I could have college paid off within a few years of graduation.
Now I'm managing to keep my bills paid despite my effective taxes (counting taxes on income and expenses) being close to 50% - which makes me "well off" compared to most.... and therefore a target for more taxes to pay for shortcomings of others.

The only difference between being a working class american and a slave is that I've been given the choice to either work and support the system against my will while being rewarded with my own table scraps, or not work while dragging the system down, but be rewarded with a share of the main course of those who work.

Seems I've chosen the harder path, and I suspect I won't be rewarded for my hard work as this broken system continues circling the drain.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

While you might have the choice you're still an Indentured servant, only difference is you're not heading to Virginia and didn't sign a contract, least I don't think.

We're forced to deal with the way things are without the reasonable request of improvements to the overall functionality. We have to do our part or else we are homeless however our government isn't' held to such standards, they don't do their part, they get richer or nothing happens.

We work for the basics we need and don't have the spare time to really innovate, nor if we had the idea to innovate would we be welcomed without a degree in said field of study of said innovation. We've boxed ourselves in and handed our control to people with the most money.

It's beyond a rigged system, it's a controlled and well imagined matrix.
edit on 30-11-2016 by Tranceopticalinclined because: Bubbles are fun

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Darkmadness

I worked in light-industrial staffing for almost 10 years. I can tell you for sure that jobs are available. Any person who is not working, has a clean criminal record and can pass a drug test just needs to go to one of their local temp services and often times they can be offered a job sometimes that day (I know because I did this a lot).

I agree with you that Unionized labor is going away, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm also not saying that there are "millions" of trades jobs available, but consider this, it's not terribly difficult (not easy however) to set up your own business if you pay your dues and work for a tradesman for a while first.

I was between jobs for about 2 months over the summer and worked for a local painter. The guy I worked for was so frustrated that he couldn't get anyone reliable to work for him. He would hire young Americans and they wouldn't show up for work, no-call/no-show. I experienced the same thing doing temp staffing. Americans, especially young people (not all of them of course) were largely unreliable while immigrants were always reliable and hardworking with few exceptions.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

gtfo of the Unions then! All they do is steal whatever extra money you get as a benefit in Union dues. And hen they tell you you cannot go to work because everyone is unhappy with the $50k+ they already make. I have said it before, me and the wife covined have only ever pulled no more than 45k in a year in central Florida. It has never been an issue to afford whatever we want, because we save and also do not waste money on stupid #.

Anybody who is single and makes at least $25k a year has zero #ing excuse to be suffering in a small to medium size city or greater. In the rurals, maybe its a bit different, but I have only ever lived city life myself. Most of my peers, some who pull more money in a year and with much smaller families complain about not enough money. Not enough money you say? Stop smoking a goddamn pack of cigs a day and downing 12-18paks of beer and you will have saved a quarter of your weekly average income right off the bat.

Then there are the $80+ a month cell phone bills, the $120+ a month cable/phone/internet packages and so much more stupid shiiiiiiit.

My peers used to wonder how I could take vacations with all the kids multiple times a year or hit up the local islands.
Well you #ing twits, i dont spend $500 a month on pollution for my body and overpriced mind rot as data plans and media packages, thats how!

Anyone who is single and has an hourly job should not be on a $80 cell phone plan with a big carrier when plans half that price are available! Nor should they have a stupid $120 a month media package deal when they watch Netlix and youtube. A number of people I know hat have these plans either barely even watch the cable, or only watch a handful of channels.

$5 a day cigs X 7 =$35/wk ,$140/month
$8-12 a day beer fund X 7 = $56-$84/wk , $224-$336/month
$80month cell phones ans
$120/month media package

at least ten people I know in my age group (25-35) complain about money AND waste that much every month. And I was only doing the usual wastes. This does not even include all the money wasted paying for high end barbers, fancy expensive shoes and clothes, new gadgets, video game subscriptions, eating out almost daily etc.. etc..

My complaint is not about people unwilling to work. Most people I encounter have no aversion to working, although they may suck at it. Its knowing how horribly they manage that money and waste it, while complaining about not making enough cheddar. That is what really pisses me off. I am only 31, make less than many of my peers, and yet somehow enjoy more things in life and can afford multiple vacations a year without running up a credit card.

I never went to college either, because from what I saw it was just turning out suckers who still had to end up in hourly wage jobs, but with debt sometimes as high as a mortgage. # that.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
This is why I believe Hillary's stats on voters with college degrees being higher than Trump's is a facade. They may have more paper on the wall but it 's worthless paper from for profit schools.

One stat that came out halfway through the election found her voters had more bad credit than any other candidate's voters. If they are poor at managing their finances then they are also poor at choosing schools and viable degree programs hence why their credit sucks and they can't find decent jobs with their BS degrees.

Oh, and we already have free education in the US. It's called joining the RESERVES or NATIONAL GUARD. They will pay for everything for one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer with a paycheck. Why would anyone want to get into massive debt if they are able bodied. So stupid.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Tman2135

While you're completely right, there are many jobs available, if someone has kids, those jobs don't pay enough.

That's the overall issue, is that 40k today doesn't cover the amount of bills 40k 50 years ago did.

But these 40k jobs never paid better since, despite the companies making more money.

Why doesn't a company have to increase pay as profits increase as well?
Wouldn't that solve many issues?
You know, if we made things fair to begin with and stopped saying this and that and remembered we were all the same species and what you like to have maybe others would as well, so being a greedy pig would be looked at in a more negative light if not treated with hatred.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Sure go ahead and refund their money.

Also, revoke any college credits and degrees the fees paid for.

Fair is fair.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tman2135

I worked in light-industrial staffing for almost 10 years. I can tell you for sure that jobs are available. Any person who is not working, has a clean criminal record and can pass a drug test just needs to go to one of their local temp services and often times they can be offered a job sometimes that day (I know because I did this a lot).

Temp work. Lovely. Will literally KILL someone after five years of going from temp to temp, not knowing whether they will be able to find work next time, whether they will be lucky. That is a one way ticket to spending forty percent of your earnings on therapy. What have you got that is relevant, i.e. actual permanent positions? Those are the only relevant factors here. Jobs that will pay for a persons living, long term positions, security of person and property over a long period. Anything?

I agree with you that Unionized labor is going away, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm also not saying that there are "millions" of trades jobs available, but consider this, it's not terribly difficult (not easy however) to set up your own business if you pay your dues and work for a tradesman for a while first.

Unions going away not necessarily a bad thing? Well, I suppose we can say for a certainty which side your bread is buttered on then, certainly not on the side of workers rights, holding company management to account for improper treatment of staff, failing to meet safety standards, and the like. Of course it is a bad thing! The law is written for the man with the most money, as you well know! If workers are always at that level of disadvantage when compared with their bosses, then workers will always be mistreated, since the chances of their ever being bought to account for it without their expensive lawyers getting in the way are nil! What planet do you even live on?

I was between jobs for about 2 months over the summer and worked for a local painter. The guy I worked for was so frustrated that he couldn't get anyone reliable to work for him. He would hire young Americans and they wouldn't show up for work, no-call/no-show. I experienced the same thing doing temp staffing. Americans, especially young people (not all of them of course) were largely unreliable while immigrants were always reliable and hardworking with few exceptions.

Yes, and do you know why that is? Because many of them are glad to be able to ply their chosen craft without having to dodge bullets, machetes, mortar rounds and missile barrages every morning during the commute. If you even slightly expect that of American kids, who are rapidly coming to understand that everything their government has been doing for nearly thirty years, has been hypocritical war making, accusing other nations of containing terrorists, while paying terrorists to do what they do, and that there is no benefit to hard work in the free world, because the only people who make it in the modern world of work are the huge percentage of psychopathic backstabbers who are worse at their jobs than everyone else, but know how to manipulate people into giving them what they want.

Why the hell would anyone want to contribute to that steaming cesspool of a system?

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

I'm just more shocked that degrees aren't priced based on the salaries they obtain on average.

It's like charging the same amount for home building materials and tell everyone the wood, glass, stone and metal are all the same, you can charge the same for the houses when you sell them, you're going to go out of business fast, not to mention lawsuits when some of those houses fail while others last for years.

Is that fair?

Kinda what's being done here, I didn't goto college, got my taste of that in the Air Force and decided to teach myself and never have been happier.

-----

As for wages for jobs,

The issue isn't lack of jobs, there are plenty, the issue is lack of jobs families can live off of. Last time I checked, the world needed humans to reproduce in order to keep this things called humanity going, therefor not having jobs that pay wages families can live off of are going to become an issue quick.

Couple that issue with college degrees not giving much experience as well as some just being completely worthless in terms of finding those family thriving salaries.

You have to start at the beginning to change the middle or the end, until we do that we are just wasting time. You know what most kids aren't being taught now? Science and Technology, engineering and programming, least not your public schools, if they do, it's for a month or two. Short of the year long, daily experience they should be getting.

We need a serious overhaul...
edit on 30-11-2016 by Tranceopticalinclined because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Tranceopticalinclined

To be sure, I didn't say that those jobs were well paying or would always meet the person's expectations, but they are there and they are necessary for commerce and government in their current forms to function.

The chasm between available wages and the cost of living is why there is an absolute crisis in America and worldwide.

This is also why I am convinced that the only way forward is through the GCR and the debt jubilee. As a civilization we have to find another way and eliminating all debt and bankrupting the debt-based banking cartels will allow a more fair and natural form of commerce to emerge.

If anyone looks at their monthly expenses, with few exceptions, their expenses are largely various forms of debt. Mortgages, credit cards, car loans, student loans, etc. clog up the system.

There is NO REASON that we should not be able to live sustainable lifestyles either independent subsistence style or on one income. It is because of piles and piles of fake, phony debt.

Paper currency is nothing more than an IOU. Fractional banking has taken all value out of our "money" since the banks keep only a small portion of actual assets deposited. It needs to go away completely and be rebuilt from the ground up.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tman2135
a reply to: rickymouse

This is exactly right. It is the entire point of our debt-based economic system, control of huge swaths of people by a teeny-tiny echelon at the top.

I'm not railing against the 1% but the Cabal puppet masters that really pull the strings.

Debt does not work. I am praying to hear that the global debt jubilee happens and we get the reset that so much of the alternate media is talking about.

To expand on another point you made, people used to be proud to go into the trades and do honest work. I am in a professional industry but have worked blue-collar jobs and always got way more satisfaction putting in a day of hard work than I have at a desk.

Sadly, we've conditioned the majority of young people to think that those honest jobs are "beneath" them and they don't pursue them.

You got those last two paragraphs exactly right. I defied the conditioning they were trying to push in the seventies but even then things were not bad because we had older people that had worked in factories and construction and trades all over to admire. Now the system is shifting towards kids respecting technology but actually technology takes away work from people.

Everything is messed up, those who structured this newly evolved society should be shot, those who parroted the deception should be stripped of their crudentials.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I am sitting on over 75k in student loans. I had a bachelors in engineering then went and got an MBA to help move into management. Not only do I make 25-30% less than the national average for an MBA grad, every job out there now requires masters, and even more looking for friggen PhD's in fields that previously an AS or BS was sufficient. Kids from college don't have any real world experience, so they are cheaper to hire and re-train, especially by putting benefits on a 6 month "waiting period". Why hire somebody who deserves a better salary and benefits, when they can hire throw away kids to get through projects.

Every job I have applied to, they have the little "see how you stack up to the other x amount of candidates. 90% have more than 100 candidates already applied for, within 24 hours.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Seems we are all really on the same page, little deviations here and there but largely on the same deal.

So why if we get it, isn't it be focused on? How can we make this more of an issue and get more attention?

I want to stop seeing things just being talked about, we deserve action.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Darkmadness
a reply to: eluryh22

Why don't you go into debt for tens of thousands of dollars only to find jobs making 32k a year.

Then pay obamacare, then pay rising rent cost, then pay rising food cost, then pay your student loan.

Clueless.

Or..... how about get some credits at an affordable community college then complete a degree at an affordable state college?

Or..... how about going to school part time while working to pay as you go?

Or..... in general, don't make a commitment that you aren't confident you can keep.

Call me clueless if you want but I've been well served by keeping up my end of all bargains thus far (and all that without the benefit of a college education).

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: bknapple32

Dilutes the pot?

How would a completely free University education dilute the pot? That sounds like a decidedly right wing, econofascist thing to say. Care to clarify EXACTLY what you meant by that?

Because it seems to me, that the only way you could have said anything that even gets MISHEARD like that, is if you genuinely thought only those who can pay for information deserve to receive it, despite the FACT that those who work hardest for, and with what they have in the entire breadth of capitalist economies on the earth, are the poorest.

Simple logic to me. There are x amount of applicants who can apply for a finite amount of salary jobs with a career track behind it. Making education free( notice I didnt say affordable, it should be affordable) increases the amount of applicants, yet the amount of finite jobs hasnt changed. Thus instead of going against maybe 30 qualified college graduuate job applicants for 1 opening, youre up against 160 applicants.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Since I am disabled and on a limited income, my son may get a few more grants to go to school, but I have told him again and again and again No Loans!! Even though he's 18 and is pretty good at doing all his college paperwork by himself, I don't trust some college loan officer to slip something in on him. [ I seriously don't trust people ] So, I've told him not to sign anything till I've had a chance to read it. Loans will be a last gasp solution to school, even to the point of using my house. I'd rather get an equity loan, rather than he come out eyeball deep in debt to Uncle Sam.

It leads to a feeling of entitlement when someone pushes a pencil, or now a computer key, and does not have to do physical labor.

He wants to be a Petroleum Engineer and my oldest son and brother in law work in the oilfields of Texas, so I told him he'll be working a Summer job in the oilfields. Getting your hands dirty never hurt anyone and let's you know how it feels to work for your money.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
College is no longer a viable solution, especially if you have children to provide for, in the reality we currently live in.

Once upon a time it was...

I would love to complete my degree, as I'd only have a little over a year left.... But how would I live? Support my kids? Have a roof over our heads? The field would require me not working to complete it, as I would be working for free as part of my course work. And when you add class/study time into the equation, it's an impossibility, because we have to be able to afford to live during that time, and I'd only be able to maybe work a part time job at most.

So now I'm in a crazy amount of debt, for absolutely nothing.

Please tell me again how college is the answer.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

I actually did just that. And its good advice. I went to the local community college to get my first two years covered. My father was very well off but told me I needed to fund my own education like he did ( He didnt understand the system as it is today back in 2006 when I was in college)

2 years community. Straight A's.
Couple pell grants later
Didnt buy textbooks. Once. EVER. Went to the library and photo copied pages. Hell- Half the professors just read verbatim from the book anyways and call them "lectures"

I ended up spending about 25k for my two years at university. Could have been doubled that.
edit on 30-11-2016 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

We will change the system when the people at the top stop making money or when everyone stops working and demand a fair part of the pie.

How clear does it have to get that this system doesn't work before we change it?

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: tnhiker

What kind of Engineering do you do? My son wants to go in to the field, but reading your post, I may need to warn him to switch to something else while he can.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join