It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump leaving his business behind to focus on his new job...POTUS

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

If they are the only moral people in D.C., then I do not think it matters if their prior experience is cleaning the toilets in the Capitol building. But corporate lobbyists and industry insiders should not be permitted to take part in the political process at all. They cannot be trusted to put the needs of the people before the desire of private interests to control the landscape they are working in.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

President Trump has removed the lobbyist contingent from his presence. He's halfway towards what you're calling for and that's a far cry further than any of his predecessors have gone.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
a reply to: burgerbuddy

So, it seems like he's ok from a legal standpoint, no matter what he does with his biz.

Wrong. If he does anything illegal with his businesses, there will be major repercussions. Hint: it is traditional in some countries to bribe officials to obtain building permits. This is specifically forbidden by United States federal law. If a muck-raking Indian journalist finds proof that Trump's agents bribed Indian officials, it could lead to an investigation that brings the Executive and Judiciary branches grinding to a halt.

Yeah, it's right up there with paying ransom for hostages, right?

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

If they are the only moral people in D.C., then I do not think it matters if their prior experience is cleaning the toilets in the Capitol building. But corporate lobbyists and industry insiders should not be permitted to take part in the political process at all. They cannot be trusted to put the needs of the people before the desire of private interests to control the landscape they are working in.

That sounds like the dems learned a lesson and are now trying to warn Trump of their dismal failings.

Or maybe it's just your epiphany?

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

How do you figure he removed them?

Obama restricted hires who lobbied for one year prior, as did an earlier code of ethics but Trumps team waived the policy for many new hires. Trump administration will be banned from lobbying for five years after leaving government, but it’s unclear how it will be enforced.

Trump is hiring a butt load of lobbyists for his team as long as they unregister, but under the definitions in the Lobbying Disclosure Act, former officials can avoid registering as lobbyists if they spend less than 20 percent of their time in meetings with government officials or preparing for them. A shadow lobbying society is born under Trump.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

www.washingtontimes.com...

In its first “drain the swamp” maneuver, the Donald Trump transition team announced that White House appointees would be subject to a lengthy ban on becoming a lobbyist.
The ban would last five years, Trump aide Sean Spicer told reporters Wednesday night.
The Obama administration has no post-hoc ban on becoming a lobbyist and bans people who have been registered lobbyists in the previous two years from joining (though that provision can be, and has been, waived).

ijr.com...

www.politico.com...

President-elect Donald Trump’s transition team on Wednesday announced that it will require incoming officials to terminate their lobbying registrations, and agree not to lobby again for five years after leaving the administration.

Anyone joining the transition or the administration will have to sign the following pledge: “By signing below I hereby certify that I am not currently registered and reporting as a federal lobbyist as defined by the Lobbying Disclosure Act as amended or as a compensated lobbyist at the state level in any state. If I was listed as lobbyist in the most recent lobbying disclosure forms or reported to be filed by federal or state law, I hereby notify the president-elect’s transition team that I have filed the necessary forms to the appropriate government agency to terminate my [lobbying registration]. I will provide the transition team with written evidence of my federal or state lobbyist termination as soon as possible."

I disagree with you. It strikes me that what has already been done in terms of lobbying is far less dangerous than what a lobbyist could do looking forward. In other words, the Trump plan stymies lobbyist from advising a direction today from which they will profit greatly tomorrow. What's in the past and was legal is in the past and was legal, ya?

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Everything you just quoted I already knew. In fact one could say my previous post adresses everything you just posted and points out how useless it is.

He hasn't stopped jack. He made it easier for lobbyists to join his team.

As far as the 5 year ban there is nothing holding that together. It is just like his pledge that he would go back on if he had lost. It is meaningless.

I will also point this out again as I quote myself. "under the definitions in the Lobbying Disclosure Act, former officials can avoid registering as lobbyists if they spend less than 20 percent of their time in meetings with government officials or preparing for them".

Mercer is among four major donors appointed by Trump on Friday to a 16-person executive committee overseeing his transition. The others are campaign finance chairman Steven Mnuchin, New York financier Anthony Scaramucci and Silicon Valley investor Peter Thiel. Lobbyists tied to some of the country’s wealthiest industries have been put in charge of hiring and planning for specific federal agencies. They include J. Steven Hart, chairman of the law and lobbying shop Williams & Jensen; Michael McKenna, an energy company lobbyist who is overseeing planning for the Energy Department; and Dallas fundraiser Ray Washburne, was has been tapped to oversee the Commerce Department.

edit on 30-11-2016 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

There is a difference between the left which is generally in politics proper, and the left which matters and whose identity and beliefs are the accurate measure of left leaning political thought.

The left as you know them from government for the last eight years, and the race to the Presidency recently, is not the left which matters, or which dictates what constitutes genuine leftist thought in the world. That falls to the left which is in the streets.

The left in the streets knows that corporate lobby groups were always a bloody stupid idea, just as they were under the previous administration, and the one before that, and the one before that, and so on and so forth. They are a hold over from a time when business leaders expected to rule those who worked for them, rather than be responsible to their employees as well as their shareholders.

They are a bad business, and the people in the streets on all sides have known this since God was a boy, regardless of political affiliation to be fair. No one was going to vote Hillary because they thought she was going to nip that crap in the bud. But they voted for Trump to do that, and he has no such intention, clearly, considering what has gone on already.

Now Bernie... He got shifted off the stage in the well documented clusterbang that was DNC collusion to prevent his nomination, because he WOULD have, even at this early stage, been throwing people out of his office, refusing to even meet with certain groups, and making most big business lobbies drop a nut in fear.

But in terms of the way the left and right in the streets see the corporate involvement in government, the reality is that both want the same thing. They want politics which represents the people, and responds to their needs first, second, third all the way to millionth, and the needs of the corporate world only once those who struggle to serve that world with labour and patronage, have had their lot provided for and secured against assault.

Which is a fair cop if you ask me. I do not believe Trump will do any such thing, that both right and left will be dissappointed in the fullness of time with his presidency.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
a reply to: BubbaJoe

What is he supposed to fill it with Burger King Managers and bag boys?

No, there are, I am sure, a lot of candidates for cabinet positions that have not been convicted of passing information to an unauthorized person, as David Betrayus did to tear off a piece, or the wife of the Senate majority leader. Drain the swamp, my aching behind, he is gathering the swamp creatures around him.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

NATO is a flawed concept with so many security breaches, because of the current perversities of British and American politicians, to ask any American or British soldier to risk their lives, on their behest is insane. cllrkevinedwards.blogspot.co.nz...

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

NATO is a flawed concept with so many security breaches, because of the current perversities of British and American politicians, to ask any American or British soldier to risk their lives, on their behest is insane. cllrkevinedwards.blogspot.co.nz...

I never mentioned NATO, I am a US veteran, and yes the systems are flawed but still feel they are the best in the world. Anyone using a blogspot source is mostly ignored. Find me a real news source, and not some asshat's opinion piece.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

It is not like he has a lawn business....
I cannot imagine what it actually will take to do this with all of his holdings.

If I were him i'd give /transfer it all to Ivanka. Least keep things in the family. The point is after all, to not have that work interfere with his duties as president. He needs to leave old Donald behind, and pass that torch to atleast a family member, and Ivanka is the best choice to do so.

Ivanka is smart and im sure she can handle the load.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   

So many on here and in the MSM talking about how he is using the POTUS as a way to make money. He is not even taking his POTUS salary.

HE does not have to do this but he is so can the discussions on this now cease?

Ha! He still hasn't even released his tax returns.

The Donald says and promises lots of things.

He does put on a good show.

We'll believe it when we see it.

He doesn't need to take a salary. He has so many ways to profit from just being in the Oval Office that a salary would be trumpence.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   
He's looking at the establishment saying "Money!? You think I need your goddamn money!?" Love it, hope Trump delivers the goods.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: rollanotherone

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Arnie123

Uh... Trump lost the popular vote. That means that the "larger population of the united states" is skeptical of him.

Wow. I didn't know you were a mind reader. Show me the numbers that track every single American's feelings on Trump. From what I recall, only around 50% of the population actually voted. Care to back up your hyperbole?

His 42% unfavorability rating is another good sign that he isn't liked by the majority of the country. Believe what you want, but you and I both know that Trump isn't well loved throughout the country.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Still caught up in that quandary , So two states with massive welfare and massive democrat populations both concentrated in a few counties in those two states means Hillary should get the election. Did you look at the map of counties in Cali and NY? I see a few blue counties and lot's of red counties on the entire America mainland map.

42% dislike rating provided by CNN? MSNBC? CBS?

So only 50% voted and when we see the vote totals put up next to each other you dastardly democrats think a whole 100,000 votes means Hillary walked away with the popular vote, it's mind boggling that one minute you democrats say only 50% voted and then the other side of your mouth is saying "but the electors should abandon their constituents cause Hillary obviously won the popular vote"

So she won the popular vote of 50% of the population. You can't make this stuff up when you democrats shoot yourself in the foot over statistics.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Floridagoat

Whatever you say. Like I said believe what you want. I'm done trying to convince you guys of reality. If you want to believe that everyone and their mother loves and adores Trump then do it. I don't care. It's your head, believe what you want. Reality may disagree but that hasn't held you guys back for the last 2 years or so. So why let it stop you now?

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

More than likely he has that kinda power, from everything alone that he gets he has figured something out. He doesn't need money where he is at, he just has to police it around =P

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

I would be genuinely surprised if there was not a clause giving him royalties of some description, I mean if he is literally only drawing down $1 as POTUS and then 'leaving my great business in total' then where is he going to draw a living wage from? he can't just live on hand-outs and freebies whilst MAGA.....the tax man requires openness and transparency?

Serious question - how will he get money to live or is he just going to live on real savings for 8 years?

He'll be living rent-free (whether in Trump Towers or in the White House. Food, utilities, security, laundry, medical and dental care, beauty treatments, even clothes are all given to the President and his family. If he wants to buy something personal for someone, he can and does that out of his own pocket.

So, yes, he can even live in an outrageously wealthy lifestyle and gold-plate the bathrooms if he wishes simply because we Americans foot the bill for it.

...and then there's the circular issue of the businesses being owned by his children... who are on his transition team... and who are helping him appoint people to his administration.

So his family-business-partners are taking the reins and helping put in people who will be favorable to their needs.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: SoulSurfer
If I were him i'd give /transfer it all to Ivanka. Least keep things in the family. The point is after all, to not have that work interfere with his duties as president. He needs to leave old Donald behind, and pass that torch to atleast a family member, and Ivanka is the best choice to do so.

Ivanka is smart and im sure she can handle the load.

Ivanka... the one who's on his transition team and is helping him find and appoint government officials?

The one who is moving her shoe factory (which started out in the US) from China (where it is now) to Ethiopia because the wages are so much lower there? Whose jewelry is made in Hong Kong?

You know, I don't see her suddenly deciding to move these businesses back to the US and give people jobs - unless she can work out a deal like they did for Carrier where the company gets big tax rebates to keep half their job in the US.

(And you know who pays for these big tax rebates, right?)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join