It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Are Human Beings Getting More Stupid As Time Goes By?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Not "stupid". Less informed, less experienced (imo, on purpose). "Dumbed down" isn't even the best descriptor. Preferring ignorant.

Ignorant means never learned or been taught. Like just because you never learned Japanese, that doesn't make you 'stupid'.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

No. This generation of humans is the most educated generation of humans ever. IQ's are constantly increasing to the point that they have to change the way IQ tests are graded to keep the population near the medium. On top of that all scientific studies show that humans today are just as capable of critical thinking and high intelligence as humans back in the Stone Age.

Anecdotes are fun to use to lament the increasing awareness you have of stupid people in society, but they aren't indicative of all humans.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

The more education we get, the more stupid we become.

Here's a good one, a true story from a few years ago:

A company came to install massive transformers & cables for a series of 16 die-ovens to keep the steel dies hot.

On my rounds, i felt the heat coming from the thick cables in the cellar, almost too hot to touch!

Having reported this, i went & found the senior engineer who was still on site, and told him they were going to melt sooner or later.

He looked a bit surprised, and asked me how many of the ovens were on.
"All of them" says i.

"No, no they arent all supposed to be on at the same time" he says, looking really worried now.

I pity his wife, having to choose which one of the 4 rings to cook dinner on....

These peeps earn 3 times my salary, yet i pity them.........

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
More and more, Alex Jones and his kind are being taken seriously. I think that answers the question.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Yes, i think schools are not keeping up generally, nor are colleges when compared to industry.
We all too easily let ourselves be distracted by the mundane, not only do we miss the bigger picture, most of us don't WANT to see the bigger picture, it's outside our self-imposed comfort zone.

What worries me is that, while we often do dumb things without thinking, having your heads filled with Instagrams etc is not good for your concentration. When i was at school the teachers had many different ways to get & keep your attention. Some used humour, others used fear of the cane.

Making a topic FUN is a good way of getting peeps to relax & get their attention without ruffling feathers.

Granted there is a lot more to learn than in the 60's but learning never stops if you are inquisitive, ideally school should begin at 1 year and finish at 20 or so, that won't go down well with the younger members, lol.
edit on 30-11-2016 by playswithmachines because: Typo's

No smartphones for under 18's
Give them a slate & say 'write your name'
edit on 30-11-2016 by playswithmachines because: afterthought

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

...or parents breaking legs while playing Pokemon Go while their children wander about....

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Why is it called common sense, when it is so uncommon? Hmm?

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I tend to think that an average person pulled from 200 years ago into our time would be shocked at how much we need to know in order to live. Yeah, they might know the best way to snare a rabbit for dinner, but would they know anything about how to communicate over the Internet, how to drive a car at high speeds in traffic, how to program a remote control to watch TV, who all these famous people are, and so on.

So, I basically agree. It's not so much that people are less intelligent, but rather we're always bumping up against the limits of our intelligence because all the distractions.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX
What do you all think? Any truth to this do you reckon?

I can see why people might think that. As a species we have pretty much taken natural selection out of our world (though not completely), survival of the fittest doesn't apply anymore. It used to be that you had to have money to have a family but the benefits system changed all that.

Then there's all these modern gadgets making us lazier and more dependant on more gadgets. It's easy to see the theory

I'm on the fence...

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX
Are Human Beings Getting More Stupid As Time Goes By?
What do you all think? Any truth to this do you reckon?

It appears like that, because 'thought/ego', that 'possessed those happy apes on that blue planet 130,000 years ago is, at long last, dying!
It will be gone completely in a short couple centuries, leading to (necessary for) Universal Enlightenment/unconditional Love!
The death of 'thought/ego' is why Bhakti yoga (the yoga of Loving devotional service, preferred for Kali yuga, this age), rather than Jnana yoga (the yoga of philosophers, intellect based, preferred for earlier ages), is taught.

edit on 30-11-2016 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I'm feeling generous, some stars for thoughtful answers!

There is something else going on though, although there is a lot more to learn than 100 years ago, or even 40 years ago (around that time i was told by a teacher i would never own a laser, now i have 20) but our capacity for learning has also increased. Apparently, our Alpha brain waves are increasing in frequency, also the Schumann resonance, are they connected? I think so, the one affects the other maybe.

Knoweledge has taken on a different meaning, anyone nowadays does not need to know semiconductor theory to use a smartphone....but it sure would help if you need to make or repair one.

Learning has to be as broad as possible, kids need to learn not only mechanics but chemistry, biology etc and of course social skills (like in actually talking, not apping), That's why schooling should start as early as possible (like languages) and go on till 20 or so. By that time you will have turned out a well educated, responsible, productive human being.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
If the trend continues the Turing test may become an obsolete term.
The Discovery channel is currently scripting a new series called "Manifesto".
Maybe they know that will make more sense with the upcoming Mansion beach/Optane release?

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   

I believe that humans are getting more stupid. I feel like we are about to be living,literally,like the movie Idiocracy, the election and results, the attitudes, the ignorance, most of the time I feel like I am the only 'smart' person around, then I will meet someone who see it all too, and we can talk about how people have become, with a solid understanding of what it is that we are seeing and hearing. My fiance sees it too, we have talked about this at length, it is like people are losing their good sense.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join