It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Are Human Beings Getting More Stupid As Time Goes By?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:33 AM
link   
What do you all think? Any truth to this do you reckon?

I've often seen this question asked on this board over the years, mainly as a result of some weird or frustrating interaction a member has encountered in his or her travels through their lives, but does anyone think there is some actual substance to the assertions that Humans really are getting denser?

Not necessarily in terms of educational standards, but of course this would also be included...i say this, because i have met and conversed with people, who on paper at least are thought of as rather bright...but in reality, after speaking with them, are rather less bright than their qualifications would suggest.

A couple of examples of what i would call out and out stupidity, which i have personally experienced follow;

Canada, Victoria Island, Downtown McDonalds 1996;

Whilst standing in a queue waiting to be served at this McDonalds, my Wife and I happened to overhear the exchange between a middle aged Man, who was being served by a young Woman.

The Man asked the Woman; "How much are the 99c cones"....(!) The Woman appeared confused momentarily, then replied quite casually that "the 99c cones were in fact, unsurprisingly...99 cents!" The Man replied; "Oh really? Well in that case, i'll take one"...true story.

I still remember that all this time later...the Man was well dressed, appeared to be relatively affluent and one would have thought, from his appearence alone, he would have been intelligent enough to know that 99 cents actually meant 99 cents.

Last week, Kent, England. My Wife and I were out shopping for Christmas gifts (to give to Father Christmas of course) and happened to go in to a branch of 'The Body Shop'.

My Wife selected the products she wanted and handed them to the Young, smartly dressed Woman serving behind the counter.

"Thank you, and did you manage to find everything you were looking for today?" Asked the Woman serving.

Feeling a bit mischievous, i quipped back at her "No...where do you keep all the bodies?"

The Woman smiled a little, screwed up her eyes and meakly said; "I...don't...understand..."

I mean...come on?

I know these are only a couple of examples, but i'm sure you all have some more to share too.

Let's have them!

edit on 30 11 2016 by MysterX because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

What if it isn't a matter of intelligence, rather focus that is at question? Social Media and what we do on a daily basis are things always on our minds and sometimes we forget even the simple things. We've all done the whole, "Where are my glasses?!?" even though they have been on your face the whole time..., the point is, society can be at fault to, depriving us on the important things in life and having us focus on BS.

This is interesting because now that I think about it, what about the folks here on ATS? hmmm???

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:42 AM
link   
No.

People may act in an unintelligent way, but no evidence that people are less intelligent than (say) a decade, fifty or 100 years ago? In fact, the production of scientific papers and the continued invention of marvels demonstrates to me that there are some very, very smart people around.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Ha...what about us indeed!

The Canada thing probably wasn't influenced by social media, since it was way back in the mid-90's..but sure, perhaps the Woman in the Body Shop could have had her mind elsewhere i suppose.

Perhaps you're right inasmuch as it's media in general that's to blame for a decrease in our focus or lack of it. We are bombarded with far more information than ever before, so it's a valid point for sure.

Thanks.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I think common sense is disappearing slowly. There always were and will be stupidity but I don't think it has anything to do with education. I know several people who are academically super smart but can't get a glass of water on their own.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: szino9
I think common sense is disappearing slowly. There always were and will be stupidity but I don't think it has anything to do with education. I know several people who are academically super smart but can't get a glass of water on their own.

Yeah, but is that due to being inept or just plain lazy?

Common sense can dictate one to conserve energy, let someone closer to the sink get the water.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Yes, there are very smart people, but generally...is it the case that the majority of people are on an upward curve, reasonably static or a spiralling downward do you think?

I only ask out of a curious interest, because my kids do very well in school, significantly better than the majority of their peers, both academically and in terms of what i would call common sense intelligence.

When i was a kid at school, the majority of my peers were more or less on a roughly equal level...i was wondering what factor(s), if any, could contribute to a change in that parity over the last 30 years or so, or whether or not my experience is not the general norm.

Thanks.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: szino9

My Wife says the same thing about common sense all the time. Pretty much word for word as you've typed it in fact.

The super smart thing is something i have encountered several times too.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX
What do you all think? Any truth to this do you reckon?

I've often seen this question asked on this board over the years, mainly as a result of some weird or frustrating interaction a member has encountered in his or her travels through their lives, but does anyone think there is some actual substance to the assertions that Humans really are getting denser?

Not necessarily in terms of educational standards, but of course this would also be included...i say this, because i have met and conversed with people, who on paper at least are thought of as rather bright...but in reality, after speaking with them, are rather less bright than their qualifications would suggest.

A couple of examples of what i would call out and out stupidity, which i have personally experienced follow;

Canada, Victoria Island, Downtown McDonalds 1996;

Whilst standing in a queue waiting to be served at this McDonalds, my Wife and I happened to overhear the exchange between a middle aged Man, who was being served by a young Woman.

The Man asked the Woman; "How much are the 99c cones"....(!) The Woman appeared confused momentarily, then replied quite casually that "the 99c cones were in fact, unsurprisingly...99 cents!" The Man replied; "Oh really? Well in that case, i'll take one"...true story.

I still remember that all this time later...the Man was well dressed, appeared to be relatively affluent and one would have thought, from his appearence alone, he would have been intelligent enough to know that 99 cents actually meant 99 cents.

Last week, Kent, England. My Wife and I were out shopping for Christmas gifts (to give to Father Christmas of course) and happened to go in to a branch of 'The Body Shop'.

My Wife selected the products she wanted and handed them to the Young, smartly dressed Woman serving behind the counter.

"Thank you, and did you manage to find everything you were looking for today?" Asked the Woman serving.

Feeling a bit mischievous, i quipped back at her "No...where do you keep all the bodies?"

The Woman smiled a little, screwed up her eyes and meakly said; "I...don't...understand..."

I mean...come on?

I know these are only a couple of examples, but i'm sure you all have some more to share too.

Let's have them!

Depends how one sees stupid.

Your examples of human stupidity are light and humorous.

Human beings warring with each other and keeping poverty, slavery and overt and suttle caste systems alive in human cultures is what's really stupid. Breaking free of all that shows real intelligence.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Water was just a metaphor. Here is an example: common sense dictates you don't read or text your mobile phone staring at it when walking in the middle of rush hour absolutely not aware of your surroundings. Is it laziness? Stupidity? You still might be a genius in math, physics whatever.

Common sense....

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: WhiteWingedMonolith

I most certainly hear that!

Well said.

Along the same vein, do you feel that particular kettle of fish has gotten worse or better over the years, or has it just gotten more subtle and technological in nature?

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   

I understand and so it really becomes a matter of education then, right? I don't disagree, in fact if the deaths in car accidents attributed to cell phones is any indicator, common sense seems to be going out the window.

www.businessinsider.com...
edit on 30-11-2016 by Arnie123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Plus, you don't need to be intelligent to succeed financially. Clearly, some professions and trades require intelligence, from being a neuron-surgeon, or physicist down to being a plumber, and these trades will provide a livelihood, if not make you rich.

However, you can get even richer by being a top class sportsman (no brains required), or a celebrity (no brain at all required).

Whereas in the past people with low intelligence would work in lower paid jobs, now you can be as "thick as two short planks", or someone where "the lights are on, but nobody's home", and earn a fortune kicking a ball around, or having a big arse and a good PR manager.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Great example!

I've lost count of the number of times i have seen young Men and Women walking along the road, pushing a pram or pushchair (stroller?) with a toddler ambling along behind them, while they're apparently glued to the screens of their smartphones...i often remark that the child could be walking into the road, getting snatched or pretty much anything else equally unsavoury and the parent would probably never even notice...i see this multiple times per day, and still can't quite believe it.

I think smartphones ought to be regarded as idiotphones IMO.

edit on 30 11 2016 by MysterX because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

You're right.

The celebrity thing is spot on paraphi...i've noticed of late, that it seems to be quite fashionable to promote and celebrate stupid people to celebrity status, purely because they are (or act convincingly) stupid.

It seems the media is propagating the notion that idiocy is somethiing to be celebrated and aspire to...or is that just me?

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:14 AM
link   

I am not sure if it is a matter of education. When it comes to technology I think in many cases it grows faster than the average person's understandings of all aspects. Most importantly when to use something without causing harm to others or yourself. If in a way is a matter of education it could be because common sense is not something someone learns in schools, they must pick it up along the way somehow. And IMO that is what missing more and more.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I wouldnt take your 2 examples as proof of people getting denser. They are anecdotal...and in any case...you can only judge their level of intelligence based on how they were dressed...which is...you know...probably false.

But i do think overall that you're right. And I feel the reason for this is advancement in technology. The more everything is automated for us...the more is individual motivated to not think about things. If you get what I'm aiming at.

For instance...I can barely remember any phone numbers these days...since they are all saved in my smartphone. No need to remember stuff anymore. And even when I try...it's getting difficult to correctly remember it.

Back when there were no cell phones at all...only land lines...I had in my head at least 10 phone numbers that I could recite anytime of the day.

Also..no need to really study and learn so much as in the old days...since everything is online...and you can simply look it up if required.

It's like in that movie...Idiocracy...if you've seen it. I suppose something like that is optional future...depending on...

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   
A guy here in my city earned himself a darwin award earlier this evening, he jumped on to the mirror of one of our LRT trains (kinda like a subway) to attempt to hang from it in between stations, well he lost his grip and was dragged under the train, he lived and was in critical condition last i checked, hey maybe natural selection will save us.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I think it's more a lack of spacial and situational awareness due to being preoccupied by all the technology and information we're constantly receiving.

Things that were instrumental to survival and success previously just aren't as relevant anymore.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

I remember the days without mobile phones and personal computers too Mario (showing our age now mate!)

I used to remember phone numbers and addresses committed to memory too...not so much anymore either.

It could be the result of increasingly automated technology, or our attempts to keep on top of the technology at least...if that is true though, our species probably only has around 50 more years before we end up like the people from that film you mention, or an even scarier thought...end up like the people from another book/film...the Time Machine..gulp!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join