It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After all my studying, my health suggestions to you.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
First off, I suppose I need a disclaimer. This advice is not meant to replace advice of a physician, it is not intended to diagnose, cure, or prevent any diseases, the material within this post is simply my opinion on how to be healthier, you as an individual can take it how you want, and better yet, study up for yourselves as well and make the decisions you believe to be best for your own body and health.

We live in a crazy world these days - Dieting fads change every year, the "scientific evidence" seems to support so many different points of view ( Well, more like people will skew trials, take them out of context and such for their own benefit - but that's another topic. ) Should we eat a high fat, low carb diet? Should we eat a low fat, high starch/vegetable diet? What about protein, is fructose good or bad?

You're not likely to find too clear an answer - There's scientifically backed evidence for so many different view points that it can make a persons head spin wondering just what to follow. Due to this, I've decided to follow no one - And just listen to my own body and intuition, and make common sense decisions regarding my health. I would like to share some of these health decisions I've been making over the last year or two, health decisions I really believe could benefit anyone willing to give any one of them a try. So, without further ado, here's some suggestions.

1. Eat lots of vegetables - Most of us are lacking these in our diet, and they have much needed nutrients and fiber.

2. Eat plenty of fruits - Whole fruits rather than juices, as well as berries which many are super good for you with their vitamin and antioxidants.
Combining the advice from 1 and 2, make your meals colorful! Colorful and meals of variety are often quite healthy.

3. Start exercising, or exercise more if you do not enough - Research shows just 30 minutes of moderate exercise, like brisk walking, a day, can have great positive effects on your health.

4. Reduce your added sugar intake - Candy bars, soda, pastries, snacks of all kinds are simply not good for us. Moderation will help your health in good ways, while elimination will benefit you greatly.

5. Don't go overboard. Diets that completely restrict an entire nutrient, such as fat, or carbohydrates, or an entire food group such as meat or all oils, are just extremes. They are fads, and while they may work for a time for some people for various reasons, they are not nearly as often sustainable, enjoyable, and realistic.(and often times unhealthy!) - This is not to say some people cannot work this out, it's just to say the more realistic, enjoyable way to do things are to be smart about your food choices, but not go to any extremes.

6. Reduce your sodium intake, increase your potassium intake. - Especially in America, this is a major issue, the guidelines I've written thus far should help in this aspect, but some of this comes down to reading labels as you never know what's hiding in your food. We are meant to get several times more potassium than sodium, while the average diet works the other way around.

7. Supplement - But know your supplements. This one is a bit tougher as the health-food and supplement market is a multi billion dollar industry, and they'll do anything to have you believe something is amazing for you. Dr. Oz is the worst when it comes to blowing animal studies out of proportion and implying they apply to humans in the exact same way - Companies do these type of things all the time. Supplements I can honestly suggest from all my research, though, include Fish oil, Garlic, Curcumin, magnesium - Iron is often needed by females as well. Obviously your diet and personal health situation may add or subtract items from this list - Be careful here, though.

8. Experiment and learn. How do you feel after eating brown rice with veggies? A triple berry smoothie in the morning? A steak, bean, and pepper burrito? Just examples of things I enjoy and know I feel good after eating - While I also know how I feel when I eat a bad meal like cheeseburgers with a soda, or pizza and the like - It's not to say I won't enjoy these foods from time to time, I just know the long term effects of something that makes me feel less than 100% temporarily, isn't likely to be good for the long term, either.

Anyways, that's what I believe on the manner. Let me know what you have to add, what you'd like to debate, discuss, etc - I am certainly not just a beacon of truth or anything, but just a person learning more and more as time goes on, and wishing to share my experience with others, while realizing others may have a different experience I could very well learn from..

So how about it, what's your health suggestion(s) for me?

-Deadlyhope

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Hi Deadlyhope! I suggest everyone find the person they feel closest to and get/give a real, substantial, hearty hug. The more the better.

Help a stranger in need.

Be grateful.

That's all I got for you.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

I think exercise and eating food that isn't processed or pre-packaged is a key to a long life. My mother is 95 and briskly walked everyday to work and just for pleasure. I started asking people whose parents are in their 90's and it seems like a common theme is they were always active or did a lot of walking. My father in-law is 92 and his wife is 90. Both were very active working on their farm. That generation also didn't eat processed foods like most of us eat today.

I also think changing wheat at the molecular level to increase it's ability to resist insects and improve production output has caused our bodies an inability to process it without elevating sugar levels. Video games, computers, smart phones and other technology has made us lazy and much less active. I think we're slowly causing the extinction of the human race. Growing up, how often did we hear about women not being able to conceive? Now everyone knows some married couple who are having trouble conceiving.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Hi deadlyhope, thanks for the great info! Especially #6... I hadnt heard that. Will be looking into that and keeping an eye on how my diet fares in that area for a bit.

The only thing I would add... drink decent (filtered) water. I imagine if your #6 tip is adhered to, your body will be able to effectively signal you as to how much is enough for you. Do you find that true?
edit on 29-11-2016 by CantStandIt because: typo

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for all your replies. Loving others is certainly a healthy thing and keeping active is the same trait my grandmother who lived until her nineties had as well.

a reply to: CantStandIt

Sometimes it's tough to know exactly what your body needs, but cravings are meant to be our signal for certain nutrients, so I've heard.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   
The oldest person in the world shuns fruits and vegetables and eats two raw eggs every day.

edit on 29-11-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I've lost 100lbs and have kept it off now 2 years. I eat high protein, loads of vegetables and fruit. No white, bread , rice, pasta, sugar. I feel the best I've ever, and weigh less the in high school. Your results may vary

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   

I would like to add green tea, as well as jiaogulan tea, and shiitake mushrooms as well as maitake mushrooms and soaked, sprouted tree nuts, and small, oily fish that are wild.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: CantStandIt

Hi deadlyhope, thanks for the great info! Especially #6... I hadnt heard that. Will be looking into that and keeping an eye on how my diet fares in that area for a bit.

The only thing I would add... drink decent (filtered) water. I imagine if your #6 tip is adhered to, your body will be able to effectively signal you as to how much is enough for you. Do you find that true?

Be careful with adding k+ to an existing diet. That particular electrolyte can cause fatal cardiac arrhythmias and anyone who is unsure of their baseline chemistry would be wise to obtain a blood test prior to experimenting with the balance of nutrients vital to the normal function of the human heart.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

Congratulations! I did the same thing for about 6 months and lost 35lbs - the no wheat diet. The holiday's came and I slowly lost my will power to stay away from carbs. Bread, rice, pasta and sugar definitely causes a majority of us to gain weight. Carbs and sugar are as addicting as drugs! It's amazing how our bodies crave it!

I have to get back on the wagon again. It's a never ending battle. Still waiting for the magic pill.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I would add get plenty of restful sleep, find ways to smile more, and be nice to yourself (everyone).

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

Yeah I don't advocate for finding foods particular high in any one nutrient and going crazy with it - something close to the Mediterranean diet would ensure you get enough of most nutrients though, while a fast food American diet is simply too high in sodium, unhealthy fats, sugars, etc.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Drink whiskey, beer. Eat lots of bacon and smoke cigars... just as long as its ALL ORGANIC! I

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
You are the magic pill, when we fall we get back up. We all still have bad eating days, I'm a emotional eater.a reply to: WeRpeons

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Thanks for the post, dead. Also some good ideas from other posters.

Here are a few more:
Start the day with the juice of half, or a full lemon;
Eat something fermented every day, (pickles, kim-chi, etc...);
Use organic apple cider with "Mother", and virgin first-cold-pressed olive oil for your daily salad;
Use organic coconut oil for cooking, your skin and hair, and even have a half-tablespoon straight-up;
Learn to forgive yourself, and others.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

Thank you, Tiger! Great point of research, I appreciate the tip.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
"Eat lots of vegetables" - I only eat it if it tastes good, and i desire it. I do not eat it for the nutritional content. Since our soil is depleted, we are barely getting any nutrients from our food anymore.

"Eat plenty of fruits" - I agree with eating the whole fruit. I wouldn't over dose on them though as some are high in sugar. i would say 2 portions a day max.

"Start exercising, or exercise more if you do not enough" - I love exercising so i can eat more

"Reduce your added sugar intake" - i agree i think too much sugar will cause excess stored fat. The best time to eat sugar if your REALLY want it, is after your workout.

"Don't go overboard" I AGREE! i think any diet that overdoes one macro and limits another will just eventually throw you off balance. If your a keto person for instance your going to be depleted in magnesium.

"Reduce your sodium intake, increase your potassium intake" - I think reduce (ELIMINATE) your white table salt content from your diet BUT add sea salt.. more sea salt (pink grey black are the best) and add 1/8 - 1/4 tsp per pink of drinking water. You will benefit greatly from the added minerals which are completely lacking in our diet today.

"Supplement - But know your supplements" - i could not agree more. There is like a gazillion supplements. Man people must be super overwhelmed!! I know i would be if i was someone uninformed and trying to avoid meds and take the alternative route. If you find what actually works than don't stray..but from my experience and knowledge A LOT of these supplements are jammed with fillers causing only 4-20% absorption rate. yikes!

"Experiment and learn" - yes of course! but also, do your research!

Hey great list!! well said !

new topics

top topics

join