It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Radioactive Material Leak in Downtown West Palm Beach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Firefighters responding to a call found a smoking building with an "above normal" level of radiation in West Palm Beach, FL today, prompting the evacuation of a 4-block radius. The fire was at a building occupied by the Corradino Group, which handles radioactive material. After several tense hours of testing, safety officials determined that there was no dangerous amounts of radation in the area and cleared residents to return to their homes and places of buisiness. There are no injuries reported at this time.

www.tcpalm.com
By WPTV staff.
January 26, 2005

West Palm Beach Fire/Rescue is investigating a leak of radiological material at 321 South Dixie Highway. The fire department recieved an initital report of smoke in the area with a high radiantion level at the Corodino Environmental Management Group. The fire department has evacuated a four block area between Quadrille, Olive, Dixie, and Fern. The evacuation has proceeded calmly and the fire department has not issued any type of advisory that would affected breathing or other health concerns. There have been no reported injuries.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Could this be a "probing test" or just an unfortunate accident. We all pray it is just an accident.

[edit on 26-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Thanks Banshee for the edit helps...I'll figure out how to properly post someday....

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Could this be a "probing test" or just an unfortunate accident. We all pray it is the former.

.. You mean the latter, right?

Personally, I'm not hoping for any sort of 'probing test's.

That's interesting - I wonder what the material is, or what normal item it could be.

A Cathode Ray Tube as used in most TV's and Computer Monitors emits a fair bit of radiation that's just kept back and converted to heat - Could this perhaps have been just an exposed CRT, from a TV/Monitor that was on, when a fire happened?

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
As usual, the Arizona TV stations are in denial. Not a word.-Guess all thats important is this valley.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
As usual, the Arizona TV stations are in denial. Not a word.-Guess all thats important is this valley.

We're too worried about our deadly water to care!

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
It was interesting to see part III of "The Power of Nightmares" repeated on BBC tv last week, part of which talked about the dirty bomb hysteria.
A couple of experts they talked to said the likelihood of any significant harmful exposure from a dirty bomb was minimal. One guy even spoke of a US Energy Department test of a dirty bomb detonation at a control site which found that the dispersal of material was such that people would have to remain in the area for a year to get near to the current regulated dosage.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
my local news (Fort Lauderdale) made brief mention of this and acted like it was no big deal.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Yeah yeah like in Boston....

Probably this is fake too!

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Seems the fire is at a place that uses radiological equipment to test soil density. The leak appears to be minimal, but firefighters are continuing to test.

www.wpecnews12.com
Emergency crews that evacuated parts of downtown West Palm Beach because of abnormal radiation readings say those readings might not have been correct.

Authorities were quick to take neccessary precautions when the problem set off at the Coronado Group's building at 321 South Dixie Highway. The area is evacuated and several streets closed.

The Coronado Group is an engineering firm that uses equipment that measures the density in the ground. The was a fire in the area where that equipment is stored. Fire crews are not sure if the fire caused a radiation leak or the leak caused the fire.

Investigators will continue to take readings to determine if there is a danger.

For updates, check back here on our website and watch for live reports on News 12.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

We're too worried about our deadly water to care!
I was half asleep this morning and walked to the sink to take an aspirin and DRANK SOME, I'm not long for this world..

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Little more info. Seems this is not a big deal. More of a curiousity to local residents.

www.tcpalm.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Maybe I'm just a little jumpy after having watched the HBO movie "Dirty War" the other night. But I think we can rest easy. The location in question had a legitimate reason to have nuclear materials on their premises, and the "leak" may only be related to their very presence.

As officer Barbrady might say... Nothing to see here, move along.

Very good heads up though.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I was half asleep this morning and walked to the sink to take an aspirin and DRANK SOME, I'm not long for this world..

I brushed my teeth, AND took a shower with it. Guess I'll see ya on the other side!

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Sounds like similar density/moisture content measuring devices that I used to calibrate a few years ago with a previous employer. Two sources, Americium241 (I think) and Cesium137 were the usuals.

Just paranoia setting in from the sound of things

top topics

join