It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Bye bye $15/hr min wage Fast Food jobs

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Well one thing is for sure, if the poor and middle class loses their job to robots, who is going to have the money to pay for their products?

The rich class? I don't think the rich eat McDonald or too many fast food.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom
a reply to: Vasa Croe

This isn't about the minimum wage this automation will be effecting 75% of jobs in the next 20 years.
What do you do btw I'm sure you will be jumping for joy when a robot takes your job.
Remember the Luddites.

I think I'm pretty secure. I'm just a stay at home dad and do data mining and computer forensics on the side. I'll be damned if I let a robot take care of my kids. And I have yet to find a company with a computer or mobile device that hasn't needed my services....tech won't put me out of a job....it keeps pulling me back in no matter how hard I try to stop.

link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: dreamingawake
Are people ever going to boycott McDonalds? Go elsewhere for fast food, plus it's probably cheaper to boot. Now is a time more than ever.

I quit McDonalds and all fast food etal, in favor of small restaurants where people actually care about their patrons.

Even roadside taco trucks will get my business.

Even local grocery store delis have good deals.

link   

edit on 29-11-2016 by dreamingawake because: double

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I've already mentioned in previous threads that everyone snickering at the fast food automation better wise up. Anyone can be replaced by a machine, even doctors. Once upon a time, people said it would never happen because there's no way robots could ever be that precise and adaptable. Well look at how that worked out.

Look. ALL of us are expendable labor, no one is safe from that title. Give it time for development and machines will be fixing other machines and those technician jobs will poof overnight, too.

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: EvillerBob

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Next up...McDonald's way of telling $15/hr min wage strikers to eat a Hillary voter

A friend of mine just took and posted these on FB from a McD's in TN.

I have to laugh at the irony. While the workers were striking the big corporate food chains were out smarting them. Now what? Sure those $15/hr food jobs will still be there, but not many....

I will be interested to see how many of these go in and how many chains pick it up. Pretty brilliant if you ask me. Likely going to cause a lot of pain for the current, or soon to be not current work force in the industry.

At least if you get your order wrong, now you'll only have yourself to blame!

I love those machines. They actually make it more pleasant to select, place, and pay for an order. Less jostling with crowds, shouting over the counter, mixed-up orders, etc. Tap the screen, pay, wait for ticket number to be called, collect and walk out. Awesome.

In fact, I would say you get significantly better service from a machine than you get from any of the counter staff.

What difference does it make, when all they serve is garbage.

I'd rather pay a bit more and eat in a mom and pop restaurant and leave the cute waitress a nice tip.

While I admit I do like the fast food garbage once in a while, I agree I'd still rather go to our favorite mom & pop diner. Our favorite waitress is an older lady who has a helium-pitch voice and giggles "Oh, mylanta!" every 2 seconds in conversation. She's a trip, and well worth a few bucks more on the menu & tipping.

Machinery gimmicks might save a joint money, but they're not going to make it welcoming. That might be the only thing people can recoil effectively with in the end.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I think the elephant in the room is invisible, since no one ever talks about him.

Why does minimum wage need periodic adjustments? Because of "inflation". What does that actually mean? The dollar is worth less and less each year.

So instead of protesting our government executing a slow and planned demolition of our currency, we cry for crumbs. Why?

Our government has 3 jobs:

protect our currency
protect our markets
protect our borders

Which, if any, of these 3 do they do? None. And to distract from this massive failure, they have you talk about minimum wage hikes, hoping to continue stoking the class wars. Snap out of it. Quit begging for pieces of your own pie.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Under globalism, if we continue to go down that route the USD needs to lose value. Globalism only works between regions with similar currency strength. That's why the USD has been in a race to the bottom for two decades now. Whoever has the weakest currency and stuff to trade, wins.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom

I've brought this up several times.

We need to decide how society is going to function once we reach the post-occupational point.

Because it's coming sooner than many realize.

Tick... tock... tick... tock...

Read my signature... it's the only way forward.

Unless ya'll want to sit back and see what these folks have in mind for us...

edit on 29-11-2016 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Every time you hear or read 'Luddite' - know this - chances are you're facing some paid corporate interests and bots expressing their agenda.

If his-story would not be perverted, people would have known that 'Luddites' didn't oppose technology, they
opposed concentration of wealth and means by the hands of very few which then used technology to strengthen their
grip without any regard to social, moral, or even legal obligations.

'Luddite' is fabricated term, another pre-packaged commercially-sponsored oversimplification pushed down our throats.
edit on 29-11-2016 by eventHorizon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I Quit tipping at food places that have $15 an hour mw.

I feel my tip is now included in the cost of the food.

I knew one place that the employees made more money from tips then wages and they were making $7.80.
When the $15/hr min wage took affect in that area the employees thought they were going to get rich till they found many people no longer left tips.

I quit going there shortly after as there service now s**ks.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: pianopraze
If I saw this, I would ask to the see the manager. Tell the manager I will never eat at your restaurant until you remove these machines, ask if the store owner is there or for store owners email/telephone and tell the store owner the same thing.

We CAN change these things. Look at this last election.

If we do nothing this will be our future.

Actually no you can't stop progress, at best all you can do is delay it.

But I do agree we are not remotely ready for the surge of automation that will happen in the next 20 years.

Not sure what is going to happen but what I am sure of is it is going to be messy.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Your signature is a gross simplification obviously.

Everything cannot be automated at the same time, and to motivate those people that are still needed, they will need money of some kind otherwise they will just refuse to work.

The reality is people are motivated by greed and very few will work just for the good of society.

Which is why I believe the transition which could take several decades will be very messy.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
So It begins, the rise of the machines...awesome.a reply to: Vasa Croe

edit on 29-11-2016 by greenfox86 because: Spelling

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   
saw & used this for the first time in 2001

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Yes, it will happen all over. It's just a matter of when. Every dollar the minimum wage goes up just makes the inevitable happen more quickly. And it will happen for some very high-paying jobs as well, including attorneys and even doctors. AI can write better wills and diagnose diseases more accurately. No job is exempt.

And most people have no idea how far advanced AI really is.

The technological leaps and bounds in the past 5 years are astonishing. I work in the AI field so know a little more about it than the average bear.

And wait until DARPA starts rolling out some of their stuff.

It's going to scare the bejesus out of a lot of people...

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Our company does a lot of work with data linked virtual environments, which crosses over a lot into automation, especially as everything is become integrated and interconnected.

One of our Partners is from Sri Lanka, and their company does some work in India, though not much. The reason they don't get much work in India is that collectively the country is pushing back against automation that takes jobs away.

India has too many people to just remove jobs from the market, and when a system is shown to reduce labour costs through automation, it barely gets any traction in India because "people want to work", and companies and government want them to work.

In India, every building has door men, attendants, bell boys, and even someone standing in the lifts to push your floor number for you... they get quite stroppy if you try to push the button yourself... that's their job!... and they're quite protective of it.

It will be interesting to see how our societies deals with upwards of 70% unemployment rates... the sociological pressures may just not allow automation as we are currently imagining it to actual come to fruition... or possibly a whole swath of new "social" jobs may come into existence, based around social interaction.

In the movie "Her" they deal with some of these concepts, where the main characters "job" is to write love letters for other couples... because he's very good at writing love letters.

Lol... what an interesting world we're heading into!

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I don't wanna be naive here, but most of you guys are worrying for nothing. Have any of you even been to a McDonald's? If you have, I'd hazard a guess that the majority are too lazy to even get out of their car and enter the building. When is automation gonna improve the drive thru? You still have to receive your order and/or pay (yes I realize the option to pay via mobile is/will be available). If you are one of the lucky that can muster the energy to actually enter the building, then surely you realize order-automation will replace only one or two jobs. Hell, most of the time, McDonald's registers are undermanned. I don't see a problem here.

In manufacturing, we're a long ways away from machines fixing machines. I'd like to see a robot climb and remove covers, and trouble shoot a problem and replace a ball screw after removing every component surrounding that ball screw. Besides that, a good portion of manufacturing isn't done with state of the art machines and besides that, even where that is the case, often the product is too pricey.

And if any of you want job security, learn about electricity.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Yuck, its still McDonalds.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   
They have been here for some time..close to a year maybe. I have not used one and have not much interest in it, you can custom build your burger I guess with topping not on the standard menu but they do not accept cash, annd that's all it takes for me to say no thank's.
I don't like seeing people being replaced either.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   
inevitably most jobs will be gone to the robots. I am wondering what our economy will look like in 100 years when most forms of labor, service, and manufacturing is done by bot.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join