It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Marcion invent Paul the ''apostle"?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: SethTsaddik
Well, I'm willing to give it another short try to understand what your point is regarding this quotation from Justin (other than avoiding a logical argument regarding it which is the impression I'm getting up to now):

For He appeared distasteful to you when He cried among you, 'It is written, My house is the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves!' He overthrew also the tables of the money-changers in the temple, and exclaimed, 'Woe unto you, Scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye pay tithe of mint and rue, but do not observe the love of God and justice. Ye whited sepulchres! appearing beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones.' And to the Scribes, 'Woe unto you, Scribes! for ye have the keys, and ye do not enter in yourselves, and them that are entering in ye hinder; ye blind guides!'

Source: Justin Martyr: Dialogue with Trypho

What is your main issue or point regarding this, there are 2 logical arguments that one can use in order to argue that Justin was not quoting from Matthew in the quotations from Justin above, would you be so kind to pick one?

A) The quotation above is not from Justin
B) The quotations above are not from Matthew (as in not quoted from Matthew who in turn wrote down what Jesus said)

And perhaps you can elaborate why a person like me could be mistaken if they conclude that the quotation is from Justin quoting from Matthew (who quoted Jesus). And please don't just say, well, he was quoting from the "memoirs of the apostles" so he wasn't quoting from Matthew, that argument makes no sense to me whatsoever (especially since you also didn't acknowledge or respond to my quotation of Justin referring to the memoirs of the apostles as "Gospels" in relation to the 2nd sentence of your OP which I was responding to). This was your claim from the OP:

Justin never quotes from the Gospels or any of the NT...

edit on 27-12-2016 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

You might be, but I have supplied enough information already.

Go back and read it.

My theory is in the OP with all relevant information.

I don't care if you THINK Justin quoted Matthew, Justin didn't, which is a lot more important to me.

My problem is you stated it was a fact, I have proven that is not the case and no longer care.
edit on 27-12-2016 by SethTsaddik because: (no reason given)

<< 2  3  4   >>

join