It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adoption & Sometimes Corruption of Religious Symbols

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflashmaybe its because there is 1.4 billion indians and i think thats 500million too many?

Oh, so you're basically just some dumb asshole then.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
nygdan hopefully you won't get a warn for that comment, I find it best to pick these battles carefully and most times I rather stay silent than to put myself at someone's else level.

muzzleflash comments speaks volume for itself.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Worldwatcher, I agree with you 100%.
Just because Hitler perverted the meaning of swastika, doesn't mean it should remain an evil symbol for all eternity. We should not grant him such victory.

It is one of the oldest symbols and it appears on all continents. If anything, it could be used as a symbol of unity of mankind.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Worldwatcher, you have got my first ever way above top secret vote

I am glad that despite the brickbats thrown at us over this issue, that it is still going on and gaining strength and some support.

[edit on 27-1-2005 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
OK... So once again, in a different guise, or perhaps not so different ... The use of the Swastika issue rears it's head. Perhaps, and this is just a thought, that people who feel the need to express themselves by presenting the Swastika should be allowed to do so. Then, at that point, it becomes a matter of personal responsibility and not one of all the other members of ATS finally giving in to a continuous battering diatribe. Then the folks who feel the need to fly in the face of generally accepted reason and consideration for others at large, can hold their heads up in public, feel lucky, feel Hindu, feel religious, and feel like they are educating the world on an all important point of icon worship.

Maybe, on the other hand, we are just not understanding what they are asking, or saying. It comes to mind that if we really understood then the majority of people who are offended would suddenly become enlightened, not feel any negativity toward a symbol that is most recently associated with barbarism, butchery, mysticism, pseudo-science, mass-murder and anti-human brutality of the most heinous sort, just to allow a few to attempt to prove some sort of religio-nebulous point about an imaged representation of a universal concept.

Or ... If it is such a horrible thing that the moderators and owners of this forum are doing ... There is always the option of creating your own forum and doing as you wish there. Otherwise, I suspect that you might wish to not try to display the swastika in accordance with the forum rules, given the previously mentioned association of it, and simply wear it in your everyday coming ins and going outs. That way, what appears to possibly be a majority of users here won't have to deal with it and can get on to other things.

Just some thoughts.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Another link for the file
www.exposingsatanism.org...

btw sigung, this is not using the swastik on this or any forum.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Sorry to bump a really old thread, but I do-not have the right post count yet to post my own threads...

I was in my church on Sunday morning in the UK and noticed a book on the altar that had an Angel in each corner in what appeared to be gold leaf but the interesting thing was that the Angel was in the shape of a swastika.

It's left wing was up to the right, the right arm up to the left, the right leg was out to the front and the left leg to the rear in a position like bening on one knee.

I have tried to google the image but have not come up with any hits.

Anyone have any idea what this image is? I've always been drawn to the Hindu swastika and have Indian friends who use it during the festival of light Divali.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyKnoxville

Regarding the swastika thing – I saw this somewhere the other day and I’m guessing it might be the source for the symbol

warlockasylum.files.wordpress.com...

basically the constellation Ursa Major or (Big Bear or big dipper) rotates around the pole star (Polaris), if you draw it at the major points of the year (the 2 solstices and 2 equinoxes) then you do get a swastika looking thing

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Forgive me if I am wrong, but part of me gets the feeling that you simply love explaining to people how Hitler's hooked cross, Swastika, whatever you want to call it, was not his idea and that the symbol has a much deeper history which is recently tainted. I just get the impression that you are inclined to nudge people the wrong way only to try and educate them a moment later.

I'm pretty sure a vast majority of ppl know the symbol has been used by many cultures for thousands of years. We all just don't use it because it is in fact permanently tainted. Hell there are even laws against it depending where you live. Reagrdless of original or secondary usage. Many people just don;t want to see it because of what it makes one think about.

Personally I like the look of the sybol too. I wouldn't sport it on a pin though.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

I spent most of Christmas reading about the Taoist belief system (it’s where I came across the thing about Ursa Major being the source of the swastika symbol) believe it or not I had actually forgotten about the Hitler connection

So
Buddhists and Taoists have been using the symbol for a few thousand years and it’s probably much older than that
If you stick “Buddha swastika” into google images you will see what I mean

Now do we let some Austrian a## hole continue to cast a taint a symbol that has been used in the East for good luck for many thousands of years or should we do something else?

And just to be clear - as a European I understand the horror associated with the swastika symbol – but is that fair to the Buddhists/Taoists, who never asked for the symbol to be used for evil to have the west tell them what to do with their symbol?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by racasan
reply to post by AndyKnoxville

Regarding the swastika thing – I saw this somewhere the other day and I’m guessing it might be the source for the symbol

warlockasylum.files.wordpress.com...

basically the constellation Ursa Major or (Big Bear or big dipper) rotates around the pole star (Polaris), if you draw it at the major points of the year (the 2 solstices and 2 equinoxes) then you do get a swastika looking thing

Thanks for taking the time to post the link, very interesting!

The thing is the Agel looked like it had been depicted in this fashion, I also noted the same symbology in the church I was baptised and confimirmed in. The churches are linked and share confirmation dervices on a yearly basis.

I also agree that the swastika has been tainted and that it is scene as a very unsavory symbol for some people. Swastikas always seem to be popular with tattooists, I think it's due to it's hindu origins as opposed to the holocaust.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join