It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Erdogan: Turkish forces are in Syria to end Assad's rule

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Flanker86
They been there since August, and in Iraq since beginning of the year damn near.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

sounds like the bloke in charge there is saying what he was told to say after very nearly getting thrown out in a coup recently. he only held onto power after the US stepped in saved his arse.

Seems like they have extracting their pound of flesh/

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

You don't imagine, given what has been levelled at Russia over the last year or so, that any action by Russia, even if that action is in legitimate self defense, it will not be massively propagandized to the hilt as a negative move by 'those ruthless and aggressive Russians', as is the usual?

You know better than many Xcathdra, that even around these boards, some members will say and exploit almost any and every angle possible, to latch on to the most tenous of reasons and try to skew events and details to besmirch Russia, as though typing off of some kind of psyop script put out by TPTB. Then repeated ad nauseum until the crap sticks...the usual psycho-babble international politics. We're all aware of it, even those not paying much attention.

Russia defending itself against Turkey would attract more of the same imo. Turkey would be portrayed as the naughty boy with the slightly ADHD afflicted leader (who can't help himself, the poor thing), who deserves a slight tap on the wrist.

Russia would be spun as having the right to defend themselves and of course their ally Syria, but the narrative would be along the lines of the Russians response would be reported and twisted as being 'overly aggressive and entirely disproportionate in nature'..and the likes of France, UK, and the US amongst others, would be issuing more sanctions against Russia, before the ink was dry on the tabloids.

My view is that this is an act of desparation by TPTB, who've dropped the ball wrongly thinking they had succeeded in hoodwinking the US public, via massively anti-Trump mass media propaganda, into selecting Clinton for office, and that it all was a done deal. Now knowing they have at most 2 months to achieve what they imagined would be a fairly leisurely four years and two months with Clinton aiding and abetting, programmes are being accelerated and agendas are being acted upon in haste..and we all know what that kind of scramble can lead...trouble, for a lot of people.

Erdogan's threat of using refugees as a kind of Human weapon system against the EU, is clear cut blackmail. A filthy attempt to get what he wants at the expense of innocent people. Forget Saddam's 'Human shield', while dispicable enough, it doesn't come close to Erdogan's new slant on the Human shield idea, as he's basically weaponsied displaced human beings whether he carries the threat out or not..what a nice, caring chap.

Hopefully, it's all hot air...another element to Erdogan's psychological blackmail against the EU and nothing will come of it, but if he carries out the threat and attacks Assad wholesale, i hope Russia will show restraint and basically position their forces to just contain Turkey's, rather than obliterate them...they'd realistically need to only maintain the status quo for a couple of months anyway, and of course they know this to be the case.

But either way, right or wrong, Russia will be painted as the bad guy regardless...it's par for the course these days.

As far as that fictional BBC video goes, i believe it was actually commissioned by the BBC, but was released some months ago, and not yesterday as i said earlier.

The BBC website has several pages devoted to such 'dramatisations' involving a major escalating war with the Russian federation, so whether or not the guy you mention 'Ben Marking' got hold of the video and reposted it to his YT account isn't clear to me, but it is something that is being put out by the BBC...their website even features sections where viewers and visitors are invited to play a war game scenario, involving a war against Russia over an imagined Baltic states grab by the Russians...the tag lines being 'what would you do?' and so on.

As i say, hopefully sense will prevail, and we'll all begin to love and respect one another once again...and pigs will fly.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

So this is what Erdogan meant when he said..."we have plenty of other alternatives"...after being faced with suspension of EU talks.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

Probably.

We just better hope he doesn't start to get a God complex, unless it's already too late.

Many people could suffer before he realises he isn't omnipotent at the wrong end of a Russian bunker-buster.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   

We just better hope he doesn't start to get a God complex, unless it's already too late.

I think it is too late for that. Just remember how he dealt with the recent political opposition. More than 100 000 are in jail.

I just cant wait for Trump to step into office and see how will he deal with this. How will he posture towards Syria, Turkey, EU and Russia.

I hope he does what he promised...but somehow I fear few things will change.

I hope I'm wrong.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:09 AM
link   

I'm very excited about Trump too.

Like him or loathe him, things are going to be different for the first time in decades, we'll have real and actual change.

Like you say, he'll probably have to moderate or attenuate his rhetoric a little i suspect, to suit international diplomacy..but not too much i hope.

But the real danger isn't the DNC, or their weepy-eyed army of wailers and whiners...but some fruit cake who actually believes the MSM and tries to make a name for him or herself with a weapon.

Then there's the choice to live in Trump Tower...not a great move IMO...too many commercial aircraft have a habit of hitting tall buildings of late, and that could be tempting fate too much.

But i'm hopeful the world can see some real change for the better under Trump, certainly as far as international tensions go at least.
edit on 30 11 2016 by MysterX because: typo

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:11 AM
link   
So who's backing Turkey?

Gotta be the US and the UK.. Neither care if Turkey releases the refugee's into Europe, neither of them are in it!

So does that mean Erdogan played Russia or did Russia play Erdogan? (and the west?)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Like him or loathe him, things are going to be different for the first time in decades, we'll have real and actual change.

I like him...but you know how stuff works behind the scene. A thousand interests to serve.

Also...I dont know how he will handle the republican side. I heard Pence pouncing on the Russia issue...and i bet he has support from plenty on the republican side.

But the real danger isn't the DNC, or their weepy-eyed army of wailers and whiners

agreed. As I said...I think he will have plenty of opposition...he's practically 3rd party in this.

Then there's the choice to live in Trump Tower...not a great move IMO...too many commercial aircraft have a habit of hitting tall buildings of late, and that could be tempting fate too much.

what ? Who...Trump ? or his wife and kids ? I havent heard that one ? can he do that ? not reside in WH ?

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Agreed he will have to please a lot of interests to not be thwarted at every turn..quid-pro-quo and all that jazz.

I heard he'd decided to live in the Towers himself, (who knows if that's actually true given all the crap said about him) not sure about his family, but i would assume they'd be with him there.

I did think that the Secret Service would be up in arms about such a move though, it would be an absolute nightmare to ensure security i would have thought.

Unless they intend to install SAM batteries on the roof and an emergency escape pod of some kind on every floor...but it would be a Royal headache all the same.

But who knows if he actually said that or not, it's just what i read.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:59 AM
link   

But who knows if he actually said that or not, it's just what i read

I think that may be a classic fake news stuff. I just dont see how that could ever be accomplished. What I did hear is that Melania will not move with their kid to the WH in order to give a kid a chance to finish school year in a somewhat normal conditions. Which...to be honest...I support completely. But this was apparently for only a shorter period of time...like 6 months of something like that.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

If no Kurdish homeland is created then yes, I believe the relationship will continue as it is. If a homeland is created and recognized then I think we run into the issues that would change the dynamics of the relationship, including NATO.

I think Erdogan has a few screws loose and his dream of a new Ottoman empire will be his undoing. Personally I believe, with regards to Syria and Assad, that Turkey is going to call what they believe to be Russia's bluff. Turkey has a modern military and its the second largest in NATO. I think Erdogan's self importance is clouding his judgement, just like Putin.

With Russia intimating today it may invade Ukraine one has to wonder if its a response to what Turkey is threatening in Syria.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX

Like you say, he'll probably have to moderate or attenuate his rhetoric a little i suspect, to suit international diplomacy..but not too much i hope.

Remember - All politics are local.

As for your other posts I can agree / understand with most of your points. As for Erdogan hes gone off the deep end and is a danger (just as I feel Putin is and Obamas lack of a spine is).

Vanity and Ego are never valid reasons to start a military conflict. A lesson the US learned in Vietnam and Russia(USSR) learned in Afghanistan.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Right now no one is backing Turkey. Also the UK is still a part of the EU so the refugee issue still affects them.

Erdogan is throwing a temper tantrum.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Probably the US.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

You've seen that, right? Odd coincidence, very odd. Kinda desperate, actually.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: Pablito

The irony is the Kurds get most of their support in the last two years from US, UK, France and sometimes Germany! Its like why is Turkey even part of NATO anyways??

Geographic location, its like in Real Estate but bigger

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I guess NATO never was a defensive organisation, its been a block led and mostly paid by the US and helps to maintain the petrodollar and other western interests in general...

Lately they´ve patrolled the red sea off shore of Somalia, they attacked Gaddafi, sort of attacked Saddam, attacked Milosevic... I´m not saying these actions were not deserved but were attacks. NATO is a military organisation, exists to keep a status quo basically.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
You know, it used to be if anyone was at all sympathetic to Russia or Russian politics or economics Republicans would call you a traitor and anti-American.

Now if you don't love Russia Republicans call you a traitor and anti-American.

What the hell happened? It shows you have utterly fake, worthless and self serving conservative "morals and principles" are here in America.

Why did Republicans overwhelmingly support overthrowing Sadaam for no reason, but now they are in love with Assaad and defend him just because democrats don't support him?

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: ipsedixit
well now, I guess Erdogan started singing a different tune once the Russians demanded an explanation of that statement he made hehe.
Erdogan backtracks on ousting Assad after Russian reaction
"Let nobody has doubts, let nobody interpret otherwise what we have many times said on this issue, that the goal of the Operation Euphrates Shield is not a country or a person, but terror groups," said Erdogan.

He was speaking in his 30th meeting since last year with another group of several hundred heads of neighborhoods (mukhtars) at his Bestepe Palace in Ankara, according to the private-owned Dogan news agency.
Turkish President's swift change of tone followed a Wednesday night phone call with Assad's main backer Vladimir Putin of Russia.

It was the second phone conversation between the two since Erdogan said his army was in northern Syrian to topple Assad as a bloody regime siege supported by Russians and Iranians on Aleppo made sizeable advances against the rebels.

Haha yea I knew he was blowing hot air. Obviously his motives were true before the Russians had him bite his tongue. Im guessing there was a reminder about the seriousness of their commitment to the stability and assistance to Syrian sovereignty.

Which then has me thinking, East and West Kurdistan. Thats an interesting parallel.
edit on 12-2-2016 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion

Probably the US.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

You've seen that, right? Odd coincidence, very odd. Kinda desperate, actually.

It has not passed and it does not create a no fly zone nor does it force the President / military to establish one. What it does do it gives congressional support should the President decide to impose one. Believe it or not there is a difference.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join