It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump suggests jail, loss of citizenship for burning U.S. flag

page: 49
<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualzombie

originally posted by: Khaleesi

originally posted by: spiritualzombie
a reply to: Khaleesi

I don't think he's smart enough to mess with heads. I think he's messing up.

You are entitled to your opinion, but that is all it is, your opinion. And I respectfully disagree.

Fair enough, but it's not the first time the Donald has messed up like this. The tweeting... Is part of his mind game to make half the population believe he's not only stupid, but crazy too? He comes off as unhinged.

Again, that is your opinion that he has 'messed up' or is 'unhinged' . You have a right to your opinion and I have a right to respectfully disagree.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

But you do not have permission to form your own reality, and in this one, burning the flag is not a criminal act, but protected free speech.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

But you do not have permission to form your own reality, and in this one, burning the flag is not a criminal act, but protected free speech.

Obviously you haven't read my previous posts on this subject. Go back and read those posts and you will realize that I have not formed my own reality. I'll give you a hint. Trump is trolling the media. His tweet actually quotes parts of a bill Hillary Clinton co-sponsored while she was a senator in 2005.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
However the United States Flag Code states that "the flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display (for example, the flag being faded or torn), should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

Freedom of speech burning is restricted, the above is the only time you should burn the flag.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: anotherside

If the Code were made law, there would be lots of people in jail for wearing the flag as articles of clothing.
edit on 30-11-2016 by JimSmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimSmith

If the Code were made law, there would be lots of people in jail for wearing the flag as articles of clothing.
I wasn't stating it's law, just go look it up.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I'll make it even easier for you. Here is what I posted earlier.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Flag Protection Act of 2005 was a proposed United States federal law introduced in the United States Senate at the 109th United States Congress on October 24, 2005, by Senator Bob Bennett (R-Utah) and co-sponsored by Senator Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.). Later co-sponsors included Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.), Mark Pryor (D-Ark.) and Thomas Carper (D-Del.).[1]
The law would have prohibited burning or otherwise destroying and damaging the US flag with the primary purpose of intimidation or inciting immediate violence or for the act of terrorism. It called for a punishment of no more than one year in prison and a fine of no more than $100,000; unless that flag was property of the United States Government, in which case the penalty would be a fine of not more than $250,000, not more than two years in prison, or both.

This was a bill proposed by Bob Bennett (R-Utah) and co-sponsored by Hillary Clinton (D-NY), Barbara Boxer (D-CA), Mark Pryor (D-Ark), and Thomas Carper (D-Del.) It was co-sponsored by 4 Democrats.

Trump is trolling the media because they WILL NOT bring up the FACT that Hillary Clinton actually co-sponsored a bill while in the senate to do exactly what he tweeted. He is showing their hypocrisy. Justice Scalia actually voted that this is free speech even though he hated the idea of flag burning. Trump is trolling the media.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   

I did look it up. You said freedom of speech burning is restricted. Which, by the Code, it is. But not by law.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
I don't see how it's not speech protected by the First Amendment..

Burning a physical object is not speaking.

It's an act of provocation. Sort of like like inciting a riot. There are some people who feel a lot of devotion to their country and the US flag represents that, and US soldiers are willing to fight for that.

And for those people who think that voting for Trump was wrong. The attractive young mother that was abducted in California said that ""....subjects spoke in Spanish the majority of the time of her captivity,"

This is one of the reasons why we need to deport illegal immigrants. Lower the violent crime rate. Petty crimes are not a problem, this crap needs to stop.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Miracula2

It is freedom of expression.

It's an act of provocation.

Do you always get provoked when people burn things? Are you that weak that you cannot control yourself?

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I think we should burn all the flags.. They cause far more harm than good. Beware of any philiosphy that divides man.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Miracula2

Not speaking? It's as much speaking as sign language is.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   

How is jailing someone, or revoking their citizenship, for burning the flag honorable to the 1st amendment?

It's obviously completely against the constitution and complete tyranny. What happened to liberty and small government???

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer

I think we should burn all the flags.. They cause far more harm than good. Beware of any philiosphy that divides man.

Even the white flags?
Would like to keep one of those great big "Husky" ones, for future underwear.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueMule

It's death metal in semaphore.

I think it means "While these morons lead, this nation is going to resemble a dumpster fire"

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Trump is a tyrant. He's also a fool. If you thought things were bad with Obama, you aint seen nothing yet. This guy has no idea what the Constitution even is. At least with Obama, he was trained in it, so that he might better tear it apart. Trump will be putting his foot in his mouth for the next 4 years at least.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jungian
Here are some truthsayers regarding the topic of nationalism and flag burning, just a reminder incase anyone forgot what freedom is:

And Bill Hicks, on the same topic, 20+ years ago.

Case, #ing, closed.

Yeah. You pretty much nailed it there Weegie.
Would be nice if more people had critical-thinking skills.
If the arguing continues: it's safe to assume that they didn't watch the videos, no?

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Miracula2

It is freedom of expression.

It's an act of provocation.

Do you always get provoked when people burn things? Are you that weak that you cannot control yourself?

Well freedom of expression is not exactly the same as freedom of speech. Anyway we have restrictions on speech now.... we have hate speech, etc. If we had freedom of expression then we wouldn't have to worry about not baking cakes....you see, certain people feel they can take exceptions whenever it suits them.... but whine complain moan and condemn when it does not match their ideology or agenda.

Oh yah Masonicus would be freemason? Perhaps you wouldn't mind if we took one of your sacred ritual articles and burned it on the street and stomped on it and whatever. Careful what you condemn and what you accept.
edit on 30-11-2016 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: arcnaver

Trump is a tyrant. He's also a fool. If you thought things were bad with Obama, you aint seen nothing yet. This guy has no idea what the Constitution even is. At least with Obama, he was trained in it, so that he might better tear it apart. Trump will be putting his foot in his mouth for the next 4 years at least.

Obama was a law student and therefore he ought to have known better, and he did but chose to do what he wanted for the Progressive agenda.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThirdEyeofHorus
Well freedom of expression is not exactly the same as freedom of speech.

It most certainly is. See Cohen v. California (1971) where imagery deemed 'offensive' by the state of California was later found to be constitutionally protected.

new topics

top topics

<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join