It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump suggests jail, loss of citizenship for burning U.S. flag

page: 43
<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
The battle fields of glory
have turned a darken red..
The beauty and the innocence
have fallen with our dead.
Off go you shining knights
to the changing home of war
to find that freedom has a price
and rips it from the core.
So I hear all this murmur
to start the tables turning…
Saying our flag was not paid in blood
for other peoples burning.
But the flag does not save us
or deliver us from any war
It was a soldier…and the fact that we are free
That allows our flag to soar

edit on 30-11-2016 by Newt22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

BINGO! This is exactly it.

I said the same about Kapernick. People complain that people have died for a flag or whatever, and its disrespectful. I think that when you act within your rights, you can never disrespect our forefathers sacrifice. Our soldiers die for our freedom, or so we are told. To act freely within your rights is a celebration of that sacrifice.

What Kapernick did, stupid as it was, is as American as it gets. There aren't many places on Earth you can do that kind of stuff.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mclaneinc
Personally as a UK citizen born and bred I would think it an utter sign of contempt to burn our flag

PERSONALLY is the operative word there and something people seem unable to separate from the larger public interest. Our president Elect included..which is scary.

Personally..I think the KKK and white supremacists are horrific people with vile rhetoric, but if our government decided to outlaw the KKKs right to demonstrate in public, or banned their literature or websites, I would be demonstrating in the streets beside them to defend that right.

The entire premise of the constitution is that we can not pick and choose what political speech we permit and once we do and outlaw political expression we find abhorant, the constitution becomes invalid and the great experiment of USA ends and we become just another flavor of dictatorship.

Personally?...I think burning flags is stupid and immature. If ever it becomes illegal? I will light one afire everyday in public...not because I hate this country but because I love it deeply.
edit on 30-11-2016 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   
The only person I know, who participates in flag burning protests, is a veteran. 20 year, retired master sergeant who's unhappy with the treatment of veterans. I dare one of you to confront this guy...

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I said the same about Kapernick. People complain that people have died for a flag or whatever, and its disrespectful. I think that when you act within your rights, you can never disrespect our forefathers sacrifice. Our soldiers die for our freedom, or so we are told. To act freely within your rights is a celebration of that sacrifice.

What Kapernick did, stupid as it was, is as American as it gets. There aren't many places on Earth you can do that kind of stuff.

The flag is a symbol and most great philosphy warns about the power of symbols and the exploitation factor, especially with governance. Worshipping idols etc.

A couple quotes from a forefather favorite Voltaire.

I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Trump has the real power here to erase what's left of common sense. Which Voltaire believes isn't so common. Have to agree.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Not been mentioned, but essentially... anyone jailed for this would be a political prisoner.

Which in of itself speaks towards Trump's distaste for dissent.

You can all claim it's just a tweet, but it's not...
It's a deeply thought out ideology from the President Elect.

So claiming hyperbole or prophecy just doesn't cut it...

You can't call Trump a man of his word for nearly 2 years and then decide with something so inflammatory that he is just opining.

Silence isn't always golden.

If you're not willing to defend this freedom, I question when you will speak up.
Or if it will be too little too late.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it.

Trump has the real power here to erase what's left of common sense. Which Voltaire believes isn't so common. Have to agree.

There is a war on truth and reason, and while I still believe the light triumphs in the end, 2016 sure tested my faith.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: luthier

There is a war on truth and reason, and while I still believe the light triumphs in the end, 2016 sure tested my faith.

QFT...

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

It's possible that he is capable of deep thought.

On the other hand, he could just be mimicking other autocrats. Or he could be indulging childish impulses. In any case, he's not fit for office.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Hell to the no! This country has never had any unity! You must be ALMOST crazy! We stole this land, enslaved others to do Americas dirty work, and tell other countries around the world "You are going to get down with America or lay down... you choose!" There is no unity! Only a matter of time before the ish hits the fan!

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: anonfamily

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: 1337Kph
Don't know if this was brought up and not going to check 39 pages.

You do know Hillary was co-responsible for the Flag Protection Act of 2005 which pretty much suggest the same thing - jail for flag burning?

Sorry if this was already stated.

She voted against it.

Uh what? Why would she sponsor it and then vote against it? LOL

en.wikipedia.org...

Trump is trolling so hard. This is the second time he favored something Clinton favored so that all the Hillary lovers can hate him for it, and then hopefully become aware of their hypocrisy. It's funny.

Hillary...lovers
I have been pretty outspoken against her...but you are soo entrenched in your cultist mindset that you genuinely cant get out of the idea that a person can have principles.

Anyone trying to erode the first amendment needs to be put against a wall and shot
their supporters need to be put against a wall and shot.
you dont suffer communists.

now, in regards to the wiki, this is simply beautiful. the Trumpettes spent all this time saying the media is lying..then you point to something the public itself can change
check this out
What happened to that specific page of the wiki
Fake news is it? yeah, anyhow she helped cosponser the bill. how did she vote?
here is a hint:
She voted against it

A constitutional amendment that would allow the government to ban flag desecration has been proposed multiple times but has never passed. It was last voted down in 2006 in the Senate, where current Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and former Democratic presidential candidate Lincoln Chafee, then a Republican, were among three GOP lawmakers to vote against it. Then-Sen. Clinton also voted against it.

If she voted for it, she should have been put to a wall...etc.

Presidents dont troll..they aren't a 17 year old "channer". This is legislation he is wanting to instill..its been tried over and over. Wait till you wake up (not soon..you dont see the type) and realize he isn't "trolling" or just having a laugh..the vomit that is gurgling out of his mouth into yours is actual ideas...he isn't your counterstrike bro..he is a president elect.

and if he is a troll..good to know we elected the world fool...also nobody has to take him seriously...silly little effin troll he is.

Sound off, trumpet.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Connector

originally posted by: tayton
Do we not have respect for anything any longer, burn the flag? Are you not happy ur not giving the nazi salute or walking a couple miles for a bucket of water? Freedom of speech? Come to Canada and burn my my flag, I'll wrap it around ur neck. Come on people, draw the line somewhere.

no you wouldn't. You're Canadian.

Now now.. you meant id he was FRENCH. Canadians fight pretty good.(except french ones who surender)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Actually If i was president I would troll the hell out of people. Marines bust in the door. Its just a prank bro!

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: Mclaneinc
Personally as a UK citizen born and bred I would think it an utter sign of contempt to burn our flag

PERSONALLY is the operative word there and something people seem unable to separate from the larger public interest. Our president Elect included..which is scary.

Personally..I think the KKK and white supremacists are horrific people with vile rhetoric, but if our government decided to outlaw the KKKs right to demonstrate in public, or banned their literature or websites, I would be demonstrating in the streets beside them to defend that right.

The entire premise of the constitution is that we can not pick and choose what political speech we permit and once we do and outlaw political expression we find abhorant, the constitution becomes invalid and the great experiment of USA ends and we become just another flavor of dictatorship.

Personally?...I think burning flags is stupid and immature. If ever it becomes illegal? I will light one afire everyday in public...not because I hate this country but because I love it deeply.

and I don't understand why people can't get this through their heads. The KKK are deplorable people. I hate everything they stand for and think they are scum. But if ANY government entity decided that tomorrow the KKK could not peaceably protest, then, shudder as I may, I'd have to be part of the anger and outrage that their rights were removed.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I think the KKK should be declared a criminal organization because of their history of murder, torture, oppression and general criminal activity and outlawed, like a terrorist organization.

Burning the flag, on one hand I see the freedom of speech thing but it's not really freedom of burning is it. On the other hand I think it is kind of an act of treason and undermines the country. And that's not just merica other countries also.

At the least it's a fire hazzard and dangerous to those around.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Actually If i was president I would troll the hell out of people. Marines bust in the door. Its just a prank bro!

Launch empty nuclear bombs at random nations just to watch them panic, maybe have nasa redirect all the funds to create a gigantic space magnifying glass to burn entire cities like one does ants, etc..

heh...

its probably good neither you or I will ever become POTUS I suppose.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimTSpock
I think the KKK should be declared a criminal organization because of their history of murder, torture, oppression and general criminal activity and outlawed, like a terrorist organization.

the KKK was founded by the democrats...therefore the Democrats should be declared a criminal organization and any/all registered to the criminal organization should be taken to task
See how that works?

Free speech is free..now, if you are saying you are in favor of destroying the republic in order to create a despotic dictatorship, then sure, we can start discussing which political and social rivals need cleansing..

I think it is kind of an act of treason and undermines the country.

Perhaps, but discussing making it illegal..to burn a bit of material in protest (especially at the levels they are discussing of loss of citizenship and long term jail) is far, far more undermining of the very core of the country.

You know that saying, Thank God you are in America to where you can protest against America without fear of being arrested for that protest

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: Profusion

In my opinion I agree with respecting our flag at all cost, the flag of this nation is a symbol of unity within our borders, 50 stays in one nation anybody that burns it is just declaring that they have not desirer to honor the unity that our nation represents.

It should be a crime to burn the flag.

OK, so does that mean you can go to jail or lose citizenship for performing a Nazi salute? Which is a salute of a defeated enemy of the world, not just the US?

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimTSpock

They can be held thoroughly accountable for their criminal activity while not suppressing their political views, speech, right to assemble and every other constitutionally protected right.

Burning the flag, on one hand I see the freedom of speech thing but it's not really freedom of burning is it. On the other hand I think it is kind of an act of treason and undermines the country. And that's not just merica other countries also.

"merica" is not "other countries"...That's the point.

At the least it's a fire hazzard and dangerous to those around.

That can be argued. The right to burn a flag is not a blanket invitation to endanger others, incite violence etc. Someone that recklessly lights something on fire in a crowded space can be arrested if it is clear it was dangerous or resulted in harm to others...BUT they can not be arrested for the act of burning the flag.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I said KKK not democrats. You said democrats. And no outlawing criminal organizations like the KKK or terrorist organizations like AQ or IS a dictatorship does not make.

How about a fine for burning the flag for fire hazzard. My 2c.

In my country Australia they have outlawed some criminal biker gangs and I don't have a problem with that. As far as I know we aren't a dictatorship yet bro. lol. Let's not be overdramatic.

new topics

top topics

<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join