It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump suggests jail, loss of citizenship for burning U.S. flag

page: 41
<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 04:12 AM
link   
The greeks stepped on Turkish flag too, so a Turkish person brought in a Greek flag to be stepped on by Ataturk but Ataturk denied stepping on it, picked it up and placed it in a safe place.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Connector

originally posted by: TurkmenAlevi
I agree with TRUMP,

Of course you do. You Joined 3 days ago.

Yep us Turks respect everyone's flag, Ataturk taught us this.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Legally, I believe flag burning is a liberal interpretation of the fighting words doctrine and as such is neither sacred or historical. Though as it stands a burning of the African and rainbow flags is proper recourse and may even elicit an action in which proportional self defense is nessessary. When they go low, we stomp their teeth into the curb.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 04:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: 1337Kph
Don't know if this was brought up and not going to check 39 pages.

You do know Hillary was co-responsible for the Flag Protection Act of 2005 which pretty much suggest the same thing - jail for flag burning?

Sorry if this was already stated.

She voted against it.

Uh what? Why would she sponsor it and then vote against it? LOL

en.wikipedia.org...

Trump is trolling so hard. This is the second time he favored something Clinton favored so that all the Hillary lovers can hate him for it, and then hopefully become aware of their hypocrisy. It's funny.
edit on 30-11-2016 by anonfamily because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: anonfamily

You do know many of us are against Clinton and Trump? I don't give a toss If she wanted to do the same it is against the 1st.
Both and the same Trump and Clinton but how long before you all accept your saviour is just another idiot whose only interest is making himself rich and powerful.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Burning a flag should not be considered free speech. It's silly to think it is. The Supreme Court decided once that it was considered free speech, but the SCOTUS uses their best judgement and opinion, which can be wrong and has been wrong in the past.

Just take slavery for example. In 1857 with the Dred Scott decision, the Supreme Court says that blacks cannot be citizens and that Congress has no power to outlaw slavery in any territory.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom

My savior? I didn't vote for Hillary nor the egotistical Trump. You failed miserably at judging me. Go away now. You don't belong here.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

if they do, there must be consequences - perhaps loss of citizenship or year in jail!

I am Australian and I hoped Trump would win; now a year in gaol for burning the flag whilst giving Hillary a free pass for her numerous crimes - the man has let me down!!!

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

but don't burn the symbol that was fought for

No one fights for a flag - all wars enrich the MIC and the Rothschilds

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: anonfamily
Burning a flag should not be considered free speech.

Why not?

Of course it is. Just because you find it distasteful and offensive does not mean someone shouldn't be free to do it. No one is physically harmed by it, no one is being threatened, it, in of itself, is not inciting a riot, or declaring hate against any individual.

If you ban that act, it's a very, VERY slippery slope from there. Good job stopping other acts of freedom of speech and expression being banned once you open that can of worms.

Who are you or anyone else to assign motive to flag burners, anyway? Who are you to say it is being done out of hatred for the country, it could be done through love, such as protesting against what the country has become, due to the actions of the governments, and a wish for change.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: humphreysjim
No one is physically harmed by it, no one is being threatened, it, in of itself, is not inciting a riot, or declaring hate against any individual.

Actually, depending on what the flag is made of, the fumes from the burning and smoke can be quite harmful to inhale. It is definitely harmfull to the environment. Its illegal to burn your trash, so why should you be allowed to burn a flag that people treat as trash?

Also there are quite a few laws about starting a fire, and uncontrolled burning, that your local fire station should teach you about. The potential to start a fire that spreads and harms others is quite high when you burn light weight materials that can be carried by the air such as a flag. Do you have a permit to burn that flag?

Burning the US flag is a threat to the US and the Constitution, and everyone who fought for it, and are currently fighting for it. You become an enemy of the state, and it should be considered treason.

You also spread anti-American hate.

Millions have died to keep that flag from being burnt by our enemies. Perhaps flag burners should die instead.
edit on 30-11-2016 by anonfamily because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:41 AM
link   

What size Jack Boots have you ordered?.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: anonfamily

originally posted by: humphreysjim
No one is physically harmed by it, no one is being threatened, it, in of itself, is not inciting a riot, or declaring hate against any individual.

Actually, depending on what the flag is made of, the fumes from the burning and smoke can be quite harmful to inhale. It is definitely harmfull to the environment. Its illegal to burn your trash, so why should you be allowed to burn a flag that people treat as trash? Also there are quite a few laws about starting a fire, and uncontrolled burning, that your local fire station should teach you about. The potential to start a fire that spreads and harms others is quite high when you burn light weight materials that can be carried by the air such as a flag. Do you have a permit to burn that flag?

Oh come on, you think this discussion has anything to do with the environment or harmful fumes?

Loss of citizenship and/or a year in jail for burning trash? Please, that's not what this is about and you know it!

Burning the US flag is a threat to the US and the Constitution, and everyone who fought for it, and are currently fighting for it. You become an enemy of the state, and it should be considered treason.

How is it a threat?

You also spread anti-American hate.

The only hate towards any individual here is being expressed towards flag burners by Trump and people like yourself. And the claim that this "spreads anti-American hate" is no different to saying anyone who criticises the government or Trump is doing the same. Like I said before, VERY VERY slippery slope you're willing to head down there.

(post by anonfamily removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   

edit on 30-11-2016 by humphreysjim because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:02 AM
link   

I wouldn't burn a flag but I would defend the rights of those who wish to do so.
Why do you hate freedom? can you not see you are acting like the very regimes the USA have fought against.
Wanting flag burners to die....
edit on 30-11-2016 by TheKnightofDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:13 AM
link   
To some, the flag and the constitution are one and the same.

Go ahead, burn it. There will be consequences.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: brutus61

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: Profusion

While I think the flag should be respected and there are better ways to protest, I also believe one has the right to burn a flag if they choose.

In the end, it is nothing more than a symbol. Burning it does not hurt anyone and there is no victim.

I think the ultra-nationalist types that get pissed when someone burns a flag should be more outraged at the amount of American flags that are made in China.

There are many victims. Once disrespect is accepted and becomes the"norm" then any who believe in and have fought for what the flag represents are victims.

It's a symbol. There are no victims. What you are talking about is hurt feelings.

Do we jail or revoke citizenship over hurt feelings?

Not yet but that is what the left has been chanting for for quite some time now.
Or do they not condemn AND ban anyone who adorns or waves the confederate flag because of "feelings" ?

www.esquire.com...

A Complete List of Every Place That Wants to Ban the Confederate Flag
From Walmart to Virginia's license plates, a running list.

www.breitbart.com...

University Students Comforted with ‘Counseling’ after Seeing Confederate Flag on Laptop

I find it quite ironic that someone like you, off all people all of a sudden take issue with the topic at hand.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: everyone

Brilliant. Yeah, Obama banned the confederate flag. So much for freedom of speech.

Yes we do jail over hurt feelings. It's called hate speech. Again, so much for freedom of speech.

Funny how these fools care so much about freedom of speech all of a sudden when burning the flag is brought up. One of them is not even from the USA...

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom

You do know many of us are against Clinton and Trump? I don't give a toss If she wanted to do the same it is against the 1st.
Both and the same Trump and Clinton but how long before you all accept your saviour is just another idiot whose only interest is making himself rich and powerful.

I think the problem is what is legal to do and what is right to do. We have freedoms but there is a time and place for all things. I could burn any countries flag or burn say an LBGT flag I have that right. However I was taught not to disrespect others and wouldn't do that, Meaning because you have the right to do something doesn't mean you should. Not to mention I also learned from my parents actions have consequences. Not only am I hurting someone else for no other reason than to make them mad. But I'm also likely to get a reaction that involves me getting punched in the face by someone. As I said every action has consequences. For me the US flag represents the constitution a truly miraculous document if you take the time to actually study it. If we followed it like its original design many of the problems wouldn't exist. But it also reminds me of the millions of Americans that died to defend that document. That's what the flag represents a system of government unheard of in the world than and now. And it truly granted freedons which have never existed prior to its creation .

new topics

top topics

<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join