It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump suggests jail, loss of citizenship for burning U.S. flag

page: 40
<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Don't know if this was brought up and not going to check 39 pages.

You do know Hillary was co-responsible for the Flag Protection Act of 2005 which pretty much suggest the same thing - jail for flag burning?

Sorry if this was already stated.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   

You do know Hillary was co-responsible for the Flag Protection Act of 2005 which pretty much suggest the same thing - jail for flag burning?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   
**Doublepost**
edit on 29-11-2016 by 1337Kph because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
a reply to: introvert

I think the ultra-nationalist types that get pissed when someone burns a flag should be more outraged at the amount of American flags that are made in China.

I'm outraged by that as well.

But not as outraged as I get when I see someone who hasn't committed one day of their life to serving this country burn the flag of the country that my grandfather fought for in the second world war.

Your grandfather? Really? I get being upset but to consider jailing someone for this is more against what your goal fought for than burning the flag itself ever will be. Let that sink in.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

Quite the assumption(s). Silly ol opinions and all. I've seen quite the uptick in people with these same blanket responses and in order to fit you need it all to be true.

Will you finally be happy when the tattoos and camps come about?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: tayton
Do we not have respect for anything any longer, burn the flag? Are you not happy ur not giving the nazi salute or walking a couple miles for a bucket of water? Freedom of speech? Come to Canada and burn my my flag, I'll wrap it around ur neck. Come on people, draw the line somewhere.

no you wouldn't. You're Canadian.

edit on 29-11-2016 by Connector because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion
If this hasn't been posted yet (cause I didnt read most of the comments.) Hillary once said something similar many years back. And spoke on how deplorable it is to burn a flag. (she didn't say deplorable, but her expression signaled her distaste.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: 1337Kph

I also did not check 39 pages, but I do think this is an interesting tidbit.... Democrat President Woodrow Wilson signed into law the Sedition act of 1918 and one member of congress apparently dissented.

It forbade the use of "disloyal, profane, scurrilous, or abusive language" about the United States government, its flag, or its armed forces or that caused others to view the American government or its institutions with contempt. Those convicted under the act generally received sentences of imprisonment for five to 20 years.[2] The act also allowed the Postmaster General to refuse to deliver mail that met those same standards for punishable speech or opinion. It applied only to times "when the United States is in war." The U.S. was in a declared state of war at the time of passage, involved in the conflict at the time referred to as the Great War but generally later referred to as the First World War.[3] It was repealed on December 13, 1920.[4]

en.wikipedia.org...

So any liberals here who just plain don't like Trump might want to consider a historical view of this...
I myself think it's a bit harsh to revoke citizenship... however considering the atmosphere of today, there needs to be a healthy respect for our flag and our country, and any foreign nationals who may be doing this, and I suspect there are many, might need a real deterrent, and the various radicals also need a deterrent.... but the real root as I see it is foreign nationals who want to recapture the southwest for Aztlan or just plain hate America, and secular humanism in the schools degrading our country, our flag, and our national sovereignty.
The Elite cabal are internationalists and do not care about any particular country.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: SoulSurfer
If this hasn't been posted yet (cause I didnt read most of the comments.) Hillary once said something similar many years back. And spoke on how deplorable it is to burn a flag. (she didn't say deplorable, but her expression signaled her distaste.

Yes everyone finds this horde as well. Why are you bringing up Hillary in a thread about freedom of speech? We're talking about President Elect.
edit on 30-11-2016 by Connector because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThirdEyeofHorus

I also did not check 39 pages, but I do think this is an interesting tidbit.... Democrat President Woodrow Wilson signed into law the Sedition act of 1918 and one member of congress apparently dissented.

It forbade the use of "disloyal, profane, scurrilous, or abusive language" about the United States government, its flag, or its armed forces or that caused others to view the American government or its institutions with contempt. Those convicted under the act generally received sentences of imprisonment for five to 20 years.[2] The act also allowed the Postmaster General to refuse to deliver mail that met those same standards for punishable speech or opinion. It applied only to times "when the United States is in war." The U.S. was in a declared state of war at the time of passage, involved in the conflict at the time referred to as the Great War but generally later referred to as the First World War.[3] It was repealed on December 13, 1920.[4]

en.wikipedia.org...

So any liberals here who just plain don't like Trump might want to consider a historical view of this...
I myself think it's a bit harsh to revoke citizenship... however considering the atmosphere of today, there needs to be a healthy respect for our flag and our country, and any foreign nationals who may be doing this, and I suspect there are many, might need a real deterrent, and the various radicals also need a deterrent.... but the real root as I see it is foreign nationals who want to recapture the southwest for Aztlan or just plain hate America, and secular humanism in the schools degrading our country, our flag, and our national sovereignty.
The Elite cabal are internationalists and do not care about any particular country.

..please ..learn... how to....marshall.... your posts.....

Glad to see the engines in hypr-mode.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Almost every country has a law against burning its flag, law against cursing and a law against spitting

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   

If people want to desecrate flags in their homes behind closed doors then that is their right, yes.

That would be meaningless. Burning the flag is the way people voice their opinion that the then government officials are doing things they disapprove of, and doing it in the people's name, by cloaking their actions under the flag, as if the people agree and approve with those actions. In protest, the people remove the cloak, by publically burning the symbol thats being used to cover their illegal actions. So, it has to be burned publically, and not in private. It's intent is to expose the government, so the government officials can't claim they are representing the will of the people.

It's meaning is very clear "What the government is doing right now is not approved by "we the people" who burn the flag."

Since people usually have to wait until elections to voice their opinion, flag burning is an immediate message intended to get through to those in power. It's like a "tweet", a "high speed express message" to the top brass.

The people don't feel they can wait until the next elections to let the rulers know what they think.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: suvorov
Almost every country has a law against burning its flag, law against cursing and a law against spitting

Hello and Welcome!!! Yet another newbie to ATS.

BTW which countries are those you speak of?

ATS loves links.....

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   

She voted against it.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Connector

originally posted by: SoulSurfer

Yes everyone finds this horde as well. Why are you bringing up Hillary in a thread about freedom of speech? We're talking about President Elect.

The title says:
Trump suggests jail, loss of citizenship for burning U.S. flag

Just wanted to point out hillary said something similar, since liberals are outraged over what Trump said. Just reminding them Hillary also said it. So I posted a Video showing she indeed said it to back up my claim.
Why? Because the title is actually about the burning flag comment.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Trump is just suggesting or talking about it. It's not like he made a law on it and made it official. No need for people to get their panties in a bunch.....

Trump likes to talk and speak his mind , people need to stop taking what he says so literal. I like someone who is honest and speaks their mind. But I guess Trump is going to have to learn to be quite and keep a lot to his self because people have feeble minds and just can't stand to hear something they may not agree on.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Why don't they just pass a law that all American Flags sold must be made out of "Fire Proof" materials? I would love to see flaming Idiots setting themselves alight trying to send some type of "message".

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: brutus61

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: brutus61

originally posted by: introvert

While I think the flag should be respected and there are better ways to protest, I also believe one has the right to burn a flag if they choose.

In the end, it is nothing more than a symbol. Burning it does not hurt anyone and there is no victim.

I think the ultra-nationalist types that get pissed when someone burns a flag should be more outraged at the amount of American flags that are made in China.

There are many victims. Once disrespect is accepted and becomes the"norm" then any who believe in and have fought for what the flag represents are victims.

It's a symbol. There are no victims. What you are talking about is hurt feelings.

Do we jail or revoke citizenship over hurt feelings?

On the contrary, there are victims in the sense that the values we once stood for are being degraded and turned into a circus. When the country you(I) served is no longer allowed to represent it's own values then there are victims! The real citizens of the United States Of America!! No more pledging allegiance to our flag in schools. Illegal to have a Nativity scene in public places. That encroaches on the rights of the American citizens which qualifies as being victims even if we don't crying about it.

What about the values of free speech and a constitution which protects the people from government persecution? When I think of America I don't think of standing for the pledge, I think of freedom. We used to say things like "I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It". I think that's a lot better than "if you disagree with me I will banish you"

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 04:09 AM
link   

a reply to: uncommitted

Trump dodged your draft four times and stated in an interview that 'Sex was my Vietnam' -

If I had been alive then, I would have dodged the draft too whether I was rich or poor.

Vietnam was a stupid war that we should have never been involved in. That was a poor example.

Why is it stupid? I also agree that the Vietnam conflict was one of the most ridiculous ones America ever put together, but the fact that Trump dodged the draft (yet seems happy to say the purple heart is the one thing he always wanted and his contempt for former prisoners of war) shows what an absolute hypocrite he is.

I understand why you can't comprehend this - I wouldn't like your faith to be shaken.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 04:09 AM
link   
People who are okay with this are missing the big picture, as usual.

This isn't just about flag burning, it's about punishment for dissent.

If you keep justifying the removal of your own freedoms of expression, your speech will go next, and before long disrespecting Trump on Twitter will land you in jail.

This is about control, and The Donald is going to try to exercise control over you in ways you wouldn't imagine, or see coming. Watch his words very closely, and be careful not to allow the removal of freedoms you happen to find distasteful, because the freedoms you cherish will go next.

new topics

top topics

<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join