It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump suggests jail, loss of citizenship for burning U.S. flag

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

In turn the social services, schools, and courts spend less on illegals whom have entered the country to game the system. More legals get the job and help they need. The schools would need to dedicate less resources on teaching material in multiple languages often in communities that are already downtrodden from years of the lawlessness and careless trade agreements you advocate for. In addition, schools have to dedicate additional resources to those children that have not received an education while their parents were relocating.

The resources dedicated in rehabilitate and provide support to those that are hooked on drugs the mules you advocate cannot bring drugs in. Capital markets will hold down housing to remain competitive in order to sell houses. In fact, the supply of Housing would increase with less illegals occupying them supply and demand would suggest innitially housing pricing would decrease.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: 4N0M4LY

Freedom of speech actually isn't about what you can do at home. That is an entirely different amendment.

link   

Emotions have nothing to do with the law. I can burn it on my front lawn if I want.

link   
Some of these responses remind me of a certain group of people who like to do certain things to those who burn a particular religious book. Or draw a picture of a certain person.

If I drew a picture of the flag and burned it, would you put me in jail and remove my citizenship?

It's rude to burn the flag. It's unpatriotic. But it's not a crime.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: brutus61

On the contrary, there are victims in the sense that the values we once stood for are being degraded and turned into a circus.

Not everyone shares the same values.

When the country you(I) served is no longer allowed to represent it's own values then there are victims!

How does the flag represent our values?

No more pledging allegiance to our flag in schools. Illegal to have a Nativity scene in public places. That encroaches on the rights of the American citizens which qualifies as being victims even if we don't crying about it.

What rights are encroached on when someone burns a flag?

First I am not talking about personal values. I am referring to values as a nation.

Second The flag represents the values of a nation.

Third American values as a whole.

What rights are encroached on when someone burns a flag?

What rights are encroached on when someone:
puts out a nativity scene in a public place? I grew up in an era where this was the norm now it is illegal.
Puts a noose in a tree in their yard? A horrible thing to do. Also illegal

The rights of people to have "freedom of speech" is NOT supposed to encroach on the rights of others.

Burning the flag just like putting a noose in a tree are blatant examples of violating the rights of others thereby creating victims.

link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: eNumbra
Ah, I see, as long as you perform a magic ritual first, burning a flag is okay.

Well some people consider flag burning disrespectful...I am one of those people.

Best way I could put it is how would you feel if I got a picture of your family and pissed on it and called your mom/wife/daughter a whore in a video i made and it went viral on the

Wouldn't care;I'd think the person was a turd, but they're free to their opinion.

Well that is sad.

link   
a reply to: introvert

Ultra-nationalist? Since when did having pride in your country and being proud of the country you come from become ultr-nationalist? Really?

Scared much?

link   
a reply to: angeldoll

If I drew a picture of the flag and burned it, would you put me in jail and remove my citizenship?

No, and nobody here has said that. What an exaggeration.

It's rude to burn the flag. It's unpatriotic. But it's not a crime.

But it was a crime at one point.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Burn a flag !

Not as bad a The British burning The White House to the ground i suppose.

link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Emotions have nothing to do with the law. I can burn it on my front lawn if I want.

You can do that and you should. The moment you step foot off your property doing that, you should be fined.

link   

originally posted by: introvert

While I think the flag should be respected and there are better ways to protest, I also believe one has the right to burn a flag if they choose.

In the end, it is nothing more than a symbol. Burning it does not hurt anyone and there is no victim.

I think the ultra-nationalist types that get pissed when someone burns a flag should be more outraged at the amount of American flags that are made in China.

I do not agree with you on much but this I do. Now, if there is a city ordinance on burning within city limits like my city then yes, that is illegal. If people are burning flags on private property they do not own like a cemetery without asking permission also illegal.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Nope. Been thru this before when kids started wearing flags on their butts and as bandanas etc.

I believe it fell under freedom of speech/expression...like cutting it into pieces for rags to wash the car.

I've seen clothes, pencils, coats, dog sweaters, bikinis, underwear, thongs, toilet seats, appliances....you name it.

We've also seen them on the ground, flying at night and in bad weather without the required lighting etc etc.

Burning though extreme was considered freedom of expression by the US Supreme Court in the past...don't know the year..

..I don't like it either but.....
edit on 29-11-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: brutus61

First I am not talking about personal values. I am referring to values as a nation. Second The flag represents the values of a nation. Third American values as a whole.

We do not have values as a nation. He have values as individuals.

What rights are encroached on when someone: puts out a nativity scene in a public place?

Separation of church and state.

Puts a noose in a tree in their yard? A horrible thing to do. Also illegal

Happens all the time during Halloween.

The rights of people to have "freedom of speech" is NOT supposed to encroach on the rights of others.

What rights are encroached upon when a flag is burnt?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Saiker

I don't disagree with any of what you are saying accept the market effects of labor increases. There are other historical models to follow and see how badly this goes. There simply is not the labor force to even replace the illegals the two parties love so much.

Rick Perry the gov of Texas got rich with massive illegal construction crews. It ain't just the dems votes at stake here.

Not only will law enforcement be over whelmed and a massive expense so will trying to prop up the market or keep rates low and inspire more bad investments.

Add on a tax plan with massive deficit in revanue.

So yeah flag burning just a distraction.

edit on 29-11-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: 4N0M4LY

Ultra-nationalist? Since when did having pride in your country and being proud of the country you come from become ultr-nationalist? Really?

Scared much?

Having pride in the country or flag is fine.

Wanting to jail/fine/deport those that burn a flag because of how you feel about that symbol is a dangerous slippery slope.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Has nothing to do with ultra-nationalism. It has to do with the respect people SHOULD have for the country they live in. There are plenty of ways to show you're upset under our Constitution. Burning the US flag should not be one of those ways.

People that live here should have respect for what that symbol means and has meant for years. If they don't then why would anyone respect their opinion either?

Respect should earned, not burned.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Everyone here needs to calm down and look at the actual United States Flag Code and realize that many of you who are so angered by someone burning the flag probably disobey the flag code many times throughout the year. Let's take a look at some of the portions of the code that you (and I) probably disregard:

- The flag should not be used as "wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery", or for covering a speaker's desk, draping a platform, or for any decoration in general (exception for coffins).

- The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed, or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use.

- The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, firefighters, police officers, and members of patriotic organizations.

- The flag should never have any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind placed on it or attached to it.

- In a parade, the flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle, railroad train, or boat. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.

- When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms. To store the flag it should be folded neatly and ceremoniously.

- The flag should always be permitted to fall freely.

So, can we all stop feigning outrage over someone doing something to a symbol and just move on? It's their right to do it--you can dislike it, but there's no law against it, which is the point. Many of you (and me included) get frustrated with the Millennial attitude of hissy fits over hurt feelings, and this is exactly what's going on here. I'm a veteran, and I get the dislike over the act, but it's their right, and when a veteran serves in the military, they do so to protect all rights of all citizens, not just the ones that they like. There is no mandate that someone must serve in the military in order to practice said rights and privileges, so stop using that false equivalency.

The bottom line is that Trump's tweet made him (once again, IMO) look like an idiot in direct view of the world. Someone should burn his Twitter account in protest...

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
It was a good idea when Hillary co sponsored the same law in the senate, but if Trump suggests the same law and punishment, it's "bad Trump"!

The Flag Protection Act of 2005 was a proposed United States federal law introduced by Senators Hillary Clinton and Robert Bennett. The law would have outlawed flag burning, and called for a punishment of one year in jail and a fine of $100,000.[1][2]

en.wikipedia.org...

Trump makes me lol so much.

edit on 29-11-2016 by oddnutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
a reply to: angeldoll

But it was a crime at one point.

So it was also for a woman to cross a city street wearing a dress that was more than three inches above her ankle.

I just woke up to see a discussion about removing people's citizenship because they burned a flag.
I feel like I'm in Pakistan or Saudi.
God help us.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Has nothing to do with ultra-nationalism. It has to do with the respect people SHOULD have for the country they live in. There are plenty of ways to show you're upset under our Constitution. Burning the US flag should not be one of those ways.

People that live here should have respect for what that symbol means and has meant for years. If they don't then why would anyone respect their opinion either?

Respect should earned, not burned.

Respect should be earned but you want to force people to respect the flag. The flag doesnt just symbolizes the the good our country has done.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join