It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump suggests jail, loss of citizenship for burning U.S. flag

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Anathros

If I see someone burning an American flag, I'll demonstrate my free speech by beating their ass. I mean..it's free speech right? If fire can be considered speech then why can't a good ole fashioned ass whoopin'?

One is an action against an inanimate object and the other is a physical attack against a human being.

Do I need to elaborate?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: masqua
And people have said that symbols don't matter...

LOLOLOL

A flag is a colourful piece of cloth, no more or less than the CocaCola label or the Wells Fargo stage coach. It's a symbol for a country and indicating something of its origins. The stars I can figure out... one for each of the states, but wtf are the red and white stripes supposed to mean? Indians and Europeans?

The Canadian flag is a friggin' tree leaf... how does that signify anything other than we have a lot of trees that supply maple syrup?

Symbols can either mean something important and good or something evil and threatening, like the swastika. Or is it?

I'm sure the Nazis in America would love it if swastikas replaced the stars and the stripes were black and white. It's all a matter of perspective. Besides, if you really wanted to get down on the stars, you could say they're pentagrams and satanic.

Burning flags is a viable way to show your displeasure with the direction your country is going and is purely a peaceful statement that harms no-one. I'm pretty sure that making it punishable by imprisonment is a great way to become a lot like Germany in WWII... intolerant and extremely nationalistic.

Say that when your friends have those "symbols" draped over their coffins or watch as a loved one is handed a folded flag. It's more than symbolic and those that don't get it are parasites imo.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: burntheships
But I do find it curious why flag burning is ok, but Koran burning is not ok.

I say if you want to burn that stupid book knock yourself out.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

Your point is a good one. And I'm sure lots of folks in India wish the Nazis would (could) give them their sacred symbol back. In a purely utilitarian sense, I'd go towards the Canadian flag before the US flag because one promises maple syrup whilst the other is only decipherable if you understand the history. This is all much like hooliganism.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I always assumed NJ would be scheduled for demolition after a referendum vote by the citizens of NJ vote in favor of it. Jersey, so #ty even the residents there hate it!

link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

Why burn it if it is a symbol, clearly it means more , too just about everyone.

An appeal to the majority takes a back seat to individual liberty.

link   

originally posted by: introvert

If I see someone burning an American flag, I'll demonstrate my free speech by beating their ass. I mean..it's free speech right? If fire can be considered speech then why can't a good ole fashioned ass whoopin'?

One is an action against an inanimate object and the other is a physical attack against a human being.

Do I need to elaborate?

With all due respect, I measure humanity on a singular basis. Some dont deserve the title. I won't point out names here but there are many I'd put on plane to Cuba or Russia since they're such great countries and America is apparently hell for them.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Some dont deserve the title.

Call them what you want.

No matter what, they have the rights we all enjoy.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Let me put it to you this way. I have observant Jewish friends who eat Kosher. I think the requirement to eat Kosher is silly. When I dine with them, I often eat Kosher because I respect their concerns, customs, and limitations. One can show due respect in an appropriate context without yielding one's ability to be critical. I can simultaneously muse about the absurdity of flag-worship whilst being respectful of the symbolic meaning to people who are deeply invested where appropriate. And you can, too!

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
If you burn a flag, a Quran, a Bible, the last people you have to worry about is the government. A seething mob is more likely. Either way, burning symbols, flags, and books is just as superstitious and symbolic as much as lynching or arresting people for doing so is.

edit on 29-11-2016 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

ad the second amendment is heavily regulated at the Federal and state level as well. If we are going to subject one to regulations, than we should treat the first as well. See where that just got us??

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anathros
Say that when your friends have those "symbols" draped over their coffins or watch as a loved one is handed a folded flag. It's more than symbolic and those that don't get it are parasites imo.

You say that like it hasn't happened to people I liked, people I loved and people I am related to, like my father.

It isn't the flag that moves me... it's the person in the goddamned coffin that I'm gonna get bent over.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011
Heck if I saw someone burning my country's flag I'd beat the living s*&^ out of them...as long as no cell phones or no one else was there to call the cops on me.

Sure you would.

Actually you are right...I would not beat them up or get into a confrontation with their mental illness:

I am more of a peaceful person...I would pity those who dwell in their misery and go back to work to make a better life for myself...then go have a beer afterwards

edit on 29-11-2016 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Oh dear! Illegals get the right to keep and bear arms under their logic.

Dont forget that even not illegals can be restricted of their "liberty", and therefore cant be arrested and deported for being illegals (because that would infringe on their liberty).
edit on 29-11-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I'll bow out of this conversation. I have a different viewpoint. I was raised to love my country. I fought for it. My Father did as did 2 of my uncles in Vietnam. I respect the flag. It's not an inanimate object to me. I hold it in high esteem. I don't see it like I do I basketball or a computer mouse. It's something much more to me. Burn it if you see fit, I hope someone like me sees you doing it. I have the right to a fair trial. Thank god for that.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011
Actually you are right...I would not beat them up or get into a confrontation with their mental illness:

I am more of a peaceful person...I would pity those who dwell in their misery and go back to work to make a better life for myself...then go have a beer afterwards

I am glad to see you said that you would no assault them.

I personally do not like burning the American flag but I would not confront anyone doing it as it is their right.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I personally do not like burning the American flag but I would not confront anyone doing it as it is their right.

I have never been to a protest, not even as a spectator. I'm just a conscientious observer, from my laptop at home.

I definitely wouldn't confront somebody that was burning the flag even it was illegal. It's just for my own survival, that is all.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
If you burn a flag, a Quran, a Bible, the last people you have to worry about is the government. A seething mob is more likely. Either way, burning symbols, flags, and books is just as superstitious and symbolic as much as lynching or arresting people for doing so is.

Way to commit.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

A person born in the US cannot have his citizenship revoked by the government.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

It's much better to make them look like idiots in their meaningless endeavour. It does nothing. It solves nothing. It is unnessecary. It's a waste of time, money, materials. It is a peacock's display of stupidity.

new topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join