It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump suggests jail, loss of citizenship for burning U.S. flag

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

I'm not sure that's true. What happened to "We hold these rights to be self evident, that ALL men are created equal and are endowed with the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness..."?

ETA: Looked it up....

These words, from Section One of the 14th Amendment to the Constitution rank along with the Constitution's Bill of Rights as — in these precincts — the most important in world and American history:
No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
thehill.com...

edit on 29-11-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   
See what happens when you don't have strict Constitutionalists on the bench of the SCOTUS? You get discord sowed by issues such as this. The funny thing is, is that you get the crowd that stands behind Citizens United that can't stand the ruling that made flag burning legal. Numerically speaking, the preponderance of the group that hates Citizens United loves the flag burning as free speech ruling. Personally, I hate them both. Judges making up rules out of thin air in both instances. Flag burning should be a crime.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
as long as you are on private property, even within full view of a crowded mall, I am ok with that.

I hate to break it to you but free speech is not restricted to your private property.

Let's take this in another direction. Can I yell 'Down with America! Trump sucks deez!' and rip up an American flag while standing on the corner of 5th and 55th?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Kali74
Everyone on US soil is protected by the Constitution.

What if we use a burning flag to torch the Constitution that is on a stack of Bibles?

A burning LBGT rainbow to torch a stack of Qurans drenched in rendered pig fat!

(I couldn't think of a good allegory for the COTUS)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Still free speech.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

NOPE.

Try again.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Following that "We hold these rights to be self evident, that ALL men are created equal and are endowed with the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness..." logic then every person in the known universe is protected under our US Constitution.

Talk about a retroactive lawsuit shi'ite storm you're about to whip up with that one!
edit on 29-11-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

I'm not sure that's true. What happened to "We hold these rights to be self evident, that ALL men are created equal and are endowed with the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness..."?

ETA: Looked it up....

These words, from Section One of the 14th Amendment to the Constitution rank along with the Constitution's Bill of Rights as — in these precincts — the most important in world and American history:
No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
thehill.com...

First off, it's "we hold these truths to be self-evident."

Next, check out the operative phrases:

without due process of law

within its jurisdiction

Illegal aliens have the right to due process. Words and context are pesky things.
edit on 29-11-2016 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Still free speech.

Agreed. Also bound to generate negative consequences in the private sector.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
Agreed. Also bound to generate negative consequences in the private sector.

Totally agree. Actions have consequences.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

you can do all that, because you are not burning the flag. And while I would be extremely offended, I would just walk away shaking my head in disappointment. But the moment you put flame to it, I can cite public safety. Pay the fine, sing the song, or ten days jail. it really is a reasonable compromise.

NOW, if that corner of 5th and 55th is done within the property line of the private establishment, and not the city/county right of way, you can still burn it. The moment you jump to the public easement though, even for just a quick second, you shall be subject to the fine. I will be there with my measuring tape, because I also am measuring everyone's grass to make sure they are within the HOA rules

edit on 11-29-2016 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I hate to break it to you but free speech is not restricted to your private property.

That tends to make it not free speech if it must be at your own place.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
you can do all that, because you are not burning the flag.

I see, so burning things is not cool.

Unfortunately for you not everyone is afraid of fire. I think I may go publically burn Kali's bra now.

I may even let her take it off first.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
That tends to make it not free speech if it must be at your own place.

Shhh!!!

Not everyone here Constitutions as well as we do.

link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: windword

Following that "We hold these rights to be... shi'ite storm

The artful flag should be protected ... like the Buddha's of Afghanistan , or like the roman remains of Palmyra . Lines in sands shift with the wind... and , flags flutter . The flag has comforted me in a very important way , once ( if I may be selfish ) . I don't care much if you burn one . Flags can be like coyotes : the more you kill , the higher the reproduction . Before you know it - they're everywhere ... even where they were never seen before .

I wonder if some of the burners aren't operatives ... false - flag - burners , if you will ?

link   
Fascists masquerading as patriots, I tell you. It's only free speech if you agree with it now.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Slakecontagia
Flags can be like coyotes : the more you kill , the higher the reproduction . Before you know it - they're everywhere ... even where they were never seen before .

I wonder if some of the burners aren't operatives ... false - flag - burners , if you will ?

Sounds like super-bugs!

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: Kali74

NOPE.

Try again.

What?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Hey... I'm just recovering from baldness, no singeing!

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: SargonThrall
Fascists masquerading as patriots, I tell you. It's only free speech if you agree with it now.

People want to regulate my guns. Don't deny what the words "shall not be infringed" really mean. If Randy Weaver can have members of his family killed over the nonsense with which they were ...

People who burn my flag can be shown the door. Push 'em right out into the ocean and be rid of 'em. For that matter, anyone flying a non-American flag can go too. Faster even. LOL

Trump is such a badass. He's gonna Make America Great Again ... or keep us all distracted with drivel.

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join