It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump suggests jail, loss of citizenship for burning U.S. flag

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: BrokedownChevy

yes, flag burning in public is a danger to others and nearby property. Remember when these idiots set themselves on fire? This is why we cannot allow public burning of the flag. As was stated earlier, you can not drag anything else onto public property and create a dangerous situation by lighting it on fire without facing consequences. Same should apply to these criminals here. You can hear communist and racist rhetoric in both videos.

What are you on man? You're talking about the dangers of public fires. We're talking about the consequences surrounding the political statement of flag burning.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I agree with TRUMP,

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

I would argue this country no longer represents the country our grandfathers fought for.

They fought for freedom, what we have now represents fascism.
edit on 29-11-2016 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I am going to just comment. I am normally one for reading most, if not all posts in a thread before putting in my two pence, but this situation, I believe, is something which requires the unadulterated and most unfiltered reaction one can make.

What the HELL did he say? So, let me see if I have this straight. The man has said that he wants to use libel laws to change the way the press operate, and people who support him said that we should all want the press to tell the truth, and that this was not the first, sedate foot on a hundred foot slippery slope, and now THIS?

Tell me, how long will it be before protests are so regulated that they become ineffectual? How long will it be before banners, signs and placards are censored, with only certain phrases being permitted? How long will it be until frowning or appearing upset with a particular policy, gets you a month in county?

Are you happy America? Are you happy with your tyrant? Do you feel smart now?

Because from where I am sitting, this looks like the moment when even the most religiously pro Trump member has to be having a hard time feeling quite so loved up with their pick for the Presidency.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Worst. High. Ever.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

How long will it be until frowning or appearing upset with a particular policy, gets you a month in county?

As a matter of fact, this is already possible in a courtroom by the judge. He or she can find a reason to hold you in contempt of court under one of those instances if the defendant has been particularly annoying to him. I saw something like it happen once when I was in court years ago to a person that went before me in line like 5 people back. Something about "oh man why you got to act all high and mighty like you better than us something something ... " bam! Contempt of court or whatever. Went back in for six months instead of just reinstating probation.

Better believe I was all "yes sir no sir" after that fiasco. Bailiffs had to physically restrain him the way he reacted to it. It almost got him a year.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Sorry to repeat what others on this thread have ...

But - it's not speech , it's an ACT. This act is regulated by law .

The statement , however - is a goofy , cartoonish , impotent pandering . You already won the election... so, what's the point ?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Slakecontagia

In legal terms, speech isn't just words. Art is also considered speech.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

That sort of reactionary nonsense ought to have seen the judge thrown in a box full of insects for a day, while in their robes. Get full of those nasties. What a gormless oaf!

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   
If you think it should be a crime to burn the flag you are a gigantic snowflake.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Loss of citizenship for 'native' born citizens: NO.

Non-citizens doing it: AUTOMATIC DEPORTATION.

Loss of citizenship for foreign born citizens: SET BACK TO GREEN CARD SQUARE ONE.

Penalties of any form for US born Native Americans: NO!
edit on 29-11-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Everyone on US soil is protected by the Constitution.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

What if we use a burning flag to torch the Constitution that is on a stack of Bibles?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
First Amendment says the federal government can't punish someone for burning a USA flag.

It says nothing about other consequences from the private sector.

If the dork who is burning the flag is actually trying to say something, it's free speech.

If the dork who is burning the flag is trying to instigate violence and public unrest, it's not free speech. We have laws against yelling "Fire!" in a crowded non-burning theatre to prevent injury. There should be a certain amount of scrutiny for the flag burning as well.

Personally, I don't want flag-burning to be banned. In my opinion it's better to know who the dorks are so they can be properly shamed and ostracized. But then I say the same thing about speech that is considered 'racist', etc. I also support business owners maintaining the right to which customers they serve and what services they offer. If you don't like the owner's attitude and mannerisms, go elsewhere. Let them sink or swim on their own merits or lack thereof.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

I won't hand you the match but I'll celebrate with patriotic pride, your freedom to light up.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Now that's a speech!

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
I really cant believe the people in this thread. If I buy a flag, its my property. I have the freedom to destroy my own property.

That did not used to be the case. It used to be illegal.

The USSC made it legal as freedom of speech (I think).

Now Trump is riling up his "Flag Waiving American" base.

If Trump doesn't force a civil war - - it will be a surprise.

So what if it was illegal? The prohibition of flag burning was Unconstitutional in the first place. Unconstitutional means illegal. People like to ignore that.

Are you arguing with someone who supports you and your right?

No, sorry not arguing with you. My blood was just boiling at the time. Wasn't trying to argue.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Everyone on US soils is extended due process, not blanket protection.

If, in the course of due process, it is determined they are an illegal alien (ie not documented and therefore not subject to the jurisdiction of the USA) then then are not a citizen and treated appropriately.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   

as long as you are on private property, even within full view of a crowded mall, I am ok with that.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Some flags are artistic , I agree .

new topics

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join