It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump suggests jail, loss of citizenship for burning U.S. flag

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Well I think there is a definite difference between the two scenarios though i do agree this is a slippery slope.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
when it all boils down, burning the flag of the country that you live in is desecration, disrespectful, and should have penalties.
people have fought for that flag. others have died to protect our freedoms. free speech is a right yet.
i think this is more of a what is free speech issue than anything else.
you have the right to speak your mind... should that include burning your flag??
what happened to good ol american values?
a year in jail is way too harsh tho
maybe a fine????????

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Freedom of speech by the way comes with limits. You are granted the right to do and say as you please but depending on what you say or do CAN come with consequences.

It doesn't give you the right to act completely senseless.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: damwel

I'll call you on that. What was the charge? Film making isn't illegal.

And I'm going to call you on not knowing what the hell you are talking about, while also not caring to research what you are talking about.

I don't know if you are old enough to remember George Bush and the talk of sedition charges for speaking against the Iraqi war that all the republicans were for before they were against it just like Trump.

No I don't because apparently I'm only 12 years old.

edit on 11/29/2016 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Sure why not. He doesn't know anything about the constitution or freedom of expression.
Dictator trump will shut down news papers that say bad things about him. He will shut down free speech which flag burning is.
Let him try.
He will learn a new legal term.. impeachment.
edit on 11292016 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I don't think we should curtail free speech.

Burning a flag isn't an act of speech. It's the physical act of destruction of property. There is a difference.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Sure why not. He doesn't know anything about the constitution or freedom of expression.
Dictator trump will shut down news papers that say bad things about him. He will shut down free speech which flag burning is.
Let him try.

You are always so melodramatic. Trump a dictator? I suppose a person like Castro is someone you revere as a great man right?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
a reply to: LifeMode

Flag burning is actually good for the economy.

Not if the act of burning the flag is meant to undermine the economy that supports its freedoms.

Then that's not flag burning. Causing physical or financial harm has nothing to do with the act of flag burning. What Trump is talking about is banning a physical act that has no bearing on anyone other than them not liking it.

I don't like a lot of things like everyone else, including flag burning but I'm sure people don't like things I do either. What else does Trump dislike that is not hurting anyone? Maybe people wearing his hats with great crossed out and written over with the word hate. I guess he would want that to be a crime as well.

edit on 29-11-2016 by LifeMode because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrStevenBrule
a reply to: eNumbra

Or if your a leftist or liberal any disgusting behavior is OK.

Why stop there? Maybe I'm a filthy commie too?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
a reply to: introvert

I don't think we should curtail free speech.

Burning a flag isn't an act of speech. It's the physical act of destruction of property. There is a difference.

As long as it is their property, what's the problem?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra
Ah, I see, as long as you perform a magic ritual first, burning a flag is okay.

Well some people consider flag burning disrespectful...I am one of those people.

Best way I could put it is how would you feel if I got a picture of your family and pissed on it and called your mom/wife/daughter a whore in a video i made and it went viral on the interwebs?

When people burn the flag that is the symbol of this country, that's how it makes me feel.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Let him try.

Another leftist projecting Obama's and their parties actions on others.

Hilarious.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Well it's not. We can burn it or make pants out of it and sit on it. We can cut it up and make curtains out of it. We have that right.
If my desire is to burn the flag trumpet can't say crap about it. Nor anyone else. That's freedom of speech.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Well some people consider flag burning disrespectful...I am one of those people.

Best way I could put it is how would you feel if I got a picture of your family and pissed on it and called your mom/wife/daughter a whore in a video i made and it went viral on the

Wouldn't care;I'd think the person was a turd, but they're free to their opinion.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: LifeMode

You're not looking at the bigger picture.

My reply was meant as a response to the flag makers getting rich off legalizing the burning of the flag (which it currently is).

I was saying, that burning the flag is not good for the economy if done publicly. My reasoning is that such volatility being displayed publicly has adverse affects on the consumer market. For example, take a look at the stock market when Comey announced for a second time that the FBI was investigating Hillary. The response was to volatility, and the same thing happens when our MSM airs clips of thousands of people marching and burning flags. It undermines our freedoms and our democracy and that has very real and often economic consequences.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
It's a symbol. There are no victims. What you are talking about is hurt feelings.

Do we jail or revoke citizenship over hurt feelings?

Actually, yes, we do. Communicating a threat, where you don't physically assault someone, only threaten to in a convincing manner, is an misdemeanor in many states, which can lead to an arrest. No physical assault took place, only words that hurt someone's feelings and scared them a little, but there you go.

And let's not forget how we punish people by taking their money if they refuse to do things like bake a cake because they may not like or agree with the event for which the cake is requested--those type of hurt feelings can put someone out of business, and that's okay.

But, to be fair, I agree with you that victimless crimes should not be punishable by jail time, and definitely not by citizenship revocation--but, yes, hurt feelings do get people sent to jail.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   

a reply to: marg6043

Well it's not. We can burn it or make pants out of it and sit on it. We can cut it up and make curtains out of it. We have that right.
If my desire is to burn the flag trumpet can't say crap about it. Nor anyone else. That's freedom of speech.

It is freedom of speech to do it in your private property or someone elses private property. Freedom of speech shouldn't protect you from being a moron in full public view desecrating a national symbol.
edit on 29-11-2016 by 4N0M4LY because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

Not all commies are filthy--many do bathe from time to time.

link   
Just like he thought he could appoint a special prosecutor to go after Hillary.
That changed fast enough when he found out president and emperor are not quite the same thing. Lol. Poor idiot. President shouldn't be a learn as you go processes.
What a joke and he's not even in office yet.

link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Best way I could put it is how would you feel if I got a picture of your family and pissed on it and called your mom/wife/daughter a whore in a video i made and it went viral on the interwebs?

When people burn the flag that is the symbol of this country, that's how it makes me feel.

It is that sort of mindset that is troubling. Ultra-nationalism is very dangerous. It can lead to some pretty nasty things happening. Ask Germany.

We should never be so ultra-nationalist that we would place greater importance on a symbol than the freedoms of the citizenry.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join