It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump suggests jail, loss of citizenship for burning U.S. flag

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I'll take my chances with any opponent who dares.
NO ONE has that right.
Laws or NOT.
NUTS protest for the DNC ,I was ready to croak for that flag,who's conviction will hold out?
I already took that bet,and won,I'll still do it here.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: yuppa
Hey you do all realize this was another FAKE TWEET correct? he knows he cant break th e constitution like this.

It's not fake. It's on his official twitter account.

I made a few fake ones myself using a few tricks before. It comes from CNN right?

OH and dont forget Twitter can modify post you make as well. his account might be hacked.
edit on 16000000pppm by yuppa because: added reasoning

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

You think it's far fetched? Are you familiar with the Alien & Sedition Acts? John Adams had pro-Jefferson newspaper editors locked up for sedition. That's a fact. More recently, during the Red Scare, communists and anarchists were locked up for the same when they exercised what is now taken for granted as our protected right to free speech/expression. That's a fact.

There are times in our history when exercising the very protected right many of you have been utilizing to its fullest during the last 8 years would have landed you in prison. These rights that so many people so glibly take for granted have been expanded by centuries of struggle.

Dude, what the HELL are you talking about?

All I said to you was:

When has anybody here that supported Trump ever suggested that disrespecting the president should be a jailable offense?

Why are people constantly putting words in my mouth in this thread? Can you answer that without deflecting, ante?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

For the last time, NO. I do not think it is reasonable for anyone, any president, to suggest jailing someone for burning the flag. I have stated repeatedly that a fine is sufficent. Please stop distorting my words.

I did not distort anything. I asked a question.

At least we can agree that Trump's statement was unreasonable.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: Swills

Trump supporters are supporting pride in our country.

Pride comes from within, not objects. You can take pride in an object you create, but the object itself is not radiating pride your way.

This is where devout flag whores are FITH to me. They cannot distinguish the difference between themselves, and the object. They, IMO, have yet to find their own identity, riding the coat tails of something meaningless at the end of the day. Same goes for people who sport the cross on a chain, like it's an extra living, blood-filled,oxygenated appendage of their body.
To channel Yoda, sense it does not make.

link   
a reply to: yuppa

The tweet is right in his Twitter feed.

link   

Hey you do all realize this was another FAKE TWEET correct? he knows he cant break th e constitution like this.

It's not fake. It's on his official twitter account.

I made a few fake ones myself using a few tricks before. It comes from CNN right?

OH and dont forget Twitter can modify post you make as well. his account might be hacked.

Sure. Whatever you need to tell yourself.

If it was a fake tweet, Trump would have said so by now.

link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

The tweet is right in his Twitter feed.

And as i said it could be hacked and Twitter can screw with your tweets as well.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

not if the admin locks you out.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Trump can easily put-out a press release. Twitter is not his only way to communicate.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

Pride? I can't burn the flag because it hurts your pride? Sounds more like your feeing are hurt to me.

I haven't read the entire thread and I don't plan to.

I don't care what Hillary did back in 2005. I never supported her or voted for her so please when the hell will Trump supporters stop deflecting to her in defense of their dear leader?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Trump can easily put-out a press release. Twitter is not his only way to communicate.

True,but i dont think hes actually going to do anything either. This is just propaganda and publicity stunting.
Although.. if i was trump id appoint judges to overturn or amend those decisions made by previous Supeme courts. Such as the Texas V white case.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

This is just propaganda and publicity stunting.

On Trump's part, I would agree. I don't think he gives a damn about flag burning and is placating to the ultra-nationalists in this country.

Although.. if i was trump id appoint judges to overturn or amend those decisions made by previous Supeme courts. Such as the Texas V white case.

Screw freedom, huh?

That sucks.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I hope trump jails anyone who dies something he doesn't like. I hope that's America's future. As elected by the people

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor

So, it would be ok to burn the flag on private property with a burn permit?

Can someone burn any kind of flag? Is it ok to burn the rainbow flag? I am curious if all flags apply to the freedom of speech burning.

Burning all flags is protected speech.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   

True,but i dont think hes actually going to do anything either. This is just propaganda and publicity stunting.

Why would he want to paint himself as a fascist twat?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

I'm not putting words in your mouth anymore than you were in mine. Did I say:

"anybody here that supported Trump ever suggested that disrespecting the president should be a jailable offense?"

What I said is that would be the NEXT thing. As in this is a slippery slope and that if people are willing to accept rolling back Constitutional protections in favor of limiting free speech in this instance, I don't have much of any hope that they will put up any resistance to the next call for limiting free speech.

It might seem a stretch to you — and that's what I took your response to indicate — but I can assure you that it's just a bit further down the same slope.

Also, and I know you didn't ask me but I'll tell you my opinion anyway: I don't care if Clinton sponsored a bill for it in 2005, she can go crawl under a rock somewhere. She was only ever the lesser of two evils and much too illberal for my tastes.

It also doesn't matter that Trump can't himself make flag burning punishable by a loss of citizenship. What it means to me is that he doesn't value my constitutionally protected rights as defined by centuries of SCOTUS rulings. That concerns me. It should concern you as well. It seems that most right-leaning folks only get concerned when it comes to 2A rights and that's a real shame because they're all equally worth upholding.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Why would he want to paint himself as a fascist twat?

It's appealing to the ultra-nationalists that put him in office.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The issue is already decided. In 1989 the Supreme Court decided in Texas v. Johnson that burning the U.S. flag as an act of political expression is protected under the first amendment.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Sorry fascists. No violating the Constitution for you. Flag burning is a dead issue and only uneducated people continue with the debate.

To every response you may give me, just keep going back to the above statements. The debate is over and the fascist side was soundly defeated. Freedom of speech prevailed as it always will.
edit on 29-11-2016 by BrokedownChevy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join