It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump suggests jail, loss of citizenship for burning U.S. flag

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Wanting to put something in place to protect the flag is NOT removing your 1st Amendment rights.

Yes, it is. We have the right to assemble and protest and that includes using the desecration of symbols as a form of political speech.

For centuries, yes, centuries, you could be killed in the US for burning a flag. Now, with more moderate progressive thinking, in the last few decades, it is accepted. Just like abortion.

That's a good thing. We are continuing to grow as a society and are leaving our out-dated ignorance behind us.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Let's recap everybody!

Is it ok for me to push my couch into the middle of the road and set it on fire?

No?

Is it ok for me to take my TV to the park and set it on fire?

No?

Is it ok for me to drive my car to the capital lawn and set it on fire?

No?

Then why the hell is it ok to burn our flag in public?

You know the irony is, that if I were to be burning anything but the American flag in public, it would probably be a criminal offense.

Clearly the supreme court ruling that declared flag burning to be an exercise of our 1st amendment rights was politically motivated to cater to the left. As no one on the right burns American flags, that I know of.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Woven fibers and dyes.

That's all any flag on the planet is to me. If you need an object to reaffirm who you are on this rock,you're a sad sack.
Piss off, Trump, this is merely object idolatry and it's idiotic at best.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: damwel
How soon will saying something negative about Trump will get you imprisoned? I'm sure it's coming.

Then the Trump cult will be in here blathering about how the President represents everyone and disrepecting the President should be a jailable offense. Unless of course it's disrespecting Obama, the Muslim Kenyan Gay Alinskyite.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Then the Trump cult will be in here blathering about how the President represents everyone and disrepecting the President should be a jailable offense. Unless of course it's disrespecting Obama, the Muslim Kenyan Gay Alinskyite.

When has anybody here that supported Trump ever suggested that disrespecting the president should be a jailable offense?

Come on ante, you're smarter than that.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Hey you do all realize this was another FAKE TWEET correct? he knows he cant break th e constitution like this.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Then issue them a citation

I think you are making a false equivalency. Because burning cigarettes isn't illegal.

Motive may have something to do with it. Burning your trash behind Best Buy isn't the same as staging a demonstration.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

When has anybody here that supported Trump ever suggested that disrespecting the president should be a jailable offense?

Funny. You find it silly that someone would suggest a person be jailed for disrespecting the president, but you find it reasonable that the president would suggest jailing someone for disrespecting an inanimate object?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

originally posted by: damwel
How soon will saying something negative about Trump will get you imprisoned? I'm sure it's coming.

Still with the hyperbole, eh?

link   

So, it would be ok to burn the flag on private property with a burn permit?

Can someone burn any kind of flag? Is it ok to burn the rainbow flag? I am curious if all flags apply to the freedom of speech burning.

link   

originally posted by: yuppa
Hey you do all realize this was another FAKE TWEET correct? he knows he cant break th e constitution like this.

It's not fake. It's on his official twitter account.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Just for posterity....gotta link?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   

However, the person who burnt the flag can be found guilty of a misdemeanor for starting a fire without a permit.

thelawdictionary.org...

That would cover the couch, TV and car burning also.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Funny. You find it silly that someone would suggest a person be jailed for disrespecting the president, but you find it reasonable that the president would suggest jailing someone for disrespecting an inanimate object?

I've already told you twice that I do not think someone should be jailed. Stop putting words in my mouth, fool.

Oh and look at that, Hillary Clinton proposed a similar law long before Trump! Hypocrisy much?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

So, it would be ok to burn the flag on private property with a burn permit?

You wouldn't need a permit to burn the flag on your own property.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

I've already told you twice that I do not think someone should be jailed. Stop putting words in my mouth, fool.

See what's at the end of my comment? That's a question mark.

Again, you find it silly that someone would suggest a person be jailed for disrespecting the president, but you find it reasonable that the president would suggest jailing someone for disrespecting an inanimate object?

Oh and look at that, Hillary Clinton proposed a similar law long before Trump! Hypocrisy much?

What hypocrisy? I've said nothing about Clinton on this issue. She's an idiot and so is Trump.

Nice attempt at deflection though.
edit on 29-11-2016 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
You know, it's scary to see Trump supporters agree with their dear leader about trampling free speech. It's not at all surprising but very scary because this isn't the first time nor will it be Trump's last ridiculous call for authoritarian power and his supporters will back him 100%.

Where is the line for Trump supporters? I don't think there is one. Flag burning hurt your feelings? Need a safe space?

But god help you if you try to even cater the idea of gun restrictions.

Pathetic.
edit on 29-11-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Trump supporters are supporting pride in our country.

And a couple of times I mentioned it in this thread, and it was mentioned by others, but some keep ignoring it...

Hillary Clinton co-sponsored a bill in 2005 to put people in jail for flag burning and damaging flags.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Again, you find it silly that someone would suggest a person be jailed for disrespecting the president, but you find it reasonable that the president would suggest jailing someone for disrespecting an inanimate object?

For the last time, NO. I do not think it is reasonable for anyone, any president, to suggest jailing someone for burning the flag. I have stated repeatedly that a fine is sufficent. Please stop distorting my words.

What hypocrisy? I've said nothing about Clinton on this issue. She's an idiot and so is Trump.

Nice attempt at deflection though.

That was not intended to be directed solely to you, rather everyone in this thread that is making a fuss about Trump. I should have clarified that.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

You think it's far fetched? Are you familiar with the Alien & Sedition Acts? John Adams had pro-Jefferson newspaper editors locked up for sedition. That's a fact. More recently, during the Red Scare, communists and anarchists were locked up for the same when they exercised what is now taken for granted as our protected right to free speech/expression. That's a fact.

There are times in our history when exercising the very protected right many of you have been utilizing to its fullest during the last 8 years would have landed you in prison. These rights that so many people so glibly take for granted have been expanded by centuries of struggle.

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join